Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Controversial Topic: How does abortion affect you? *EDITED*

Posted by   + Show Post

***Since many did not seem to take the time to actually read what I have posted please see page 43 for a brief overview of my statement.  This is not a post that is trying to sway you to become pro-choice.  This is not a debate on whether abortion is right or wrong.  This debate is on a woman's right and why it is that one side feels that it is right to take away those rights through legislation.

reading the news this morning and still seeing articles on states trying to defund Planned Parenthood and trying to find ways to stop abortions from occuring. 

The thing that bothers me the most about these articles is I don't understand how abortions affect these people.  If I were to get pregnant tomorrow I would be setting up an appointment to get an abortion.  No questions asked.  I am on birth control to help ensure I do not get pregnant so that would mean my birth control failed and right now I absolutely cannot add a baby to the equation.  But how does that affect anyone other than my husband (who be supportive of my decision) and I?  If you are Pro-Life why is it that you would want to force something onto me that could potentially put us in such a bad place that it would be detrimental to my family?  Why is it that the Government (namely the GOP) feels the need to tell me that I don't have a right to make decisions that are best for my family and my life?  How does what I do with my family, my body and my life affect this nation as a whole or you as an individual?

And before we begin with the obvious statements I would like to give you a few MYTHS of abortion.

MYTH: Women are using abortion as a method of birth control.

In fact, half of all women getting abortions report that contraception was used during the month they became pregnant. Some of these couples had used the method improperly; some had forgotten or neglected to use it on the particular occasion they conceived; and some had used a contraceptive that failed. No contraceptive method prevents pregnancy 100% of the time.

If abortion were used as a primary method of birth control, a typical woman would have at least two or three pregnancies per year - 30 or more during her lifetime. In fact, most women who have abortions have had no previous abortions (52%) or only one previous abortion (26%). Considering that most women are fertile for over 30 years, and that birth control is not perfect, the likelihood of having one or two unintended pregnancies is very high.

MYTH: Women have abortions for selfish or frivolous reasons.

The decision to have an abortion is rarely simple. Most women base their decision on several factors, the most common being lack of money and/or unreadiness to start or expand their families due to existing responsibilities. Many feel that the most responsible course of action is to wait until their situation is more suited to childrearing; 66% plan to have children when they are older, financially able to provide necessities for them, and/or in a supportive relationship with a partner so their children will have two parents. Others wanted to get pregnant but developed serious medical problems, learned that the fetus had severe abnormalities, or experienced some other personal crisis. About 13,000 women each year have abortions because they have become pregnant as a result of rape or incest.

MYTH: Women are often forced into having abortions they do not really want.

Some women say that pressure from a husband, partner, or parent was one of several reasons they chose abortion, but only about 1% give that reason as the "most important" one in making their decision. Conversely, some women who do not want to continue their pregnancies are pressured to do so by family members, friends, or fear of social stigma. Pre-abortion options counseling is designed to determine whether a woman is fully comfortable with her abortion decision, and if she is not, she is encouraged to wait until she has had a chance to consider her options more fully.

MYTH: Many women come to regret their abortions later.

Research indicates that relief is the most common emotional response following abortion, and that psychological distress appears to be greatest before, rather than after, an abortion.

There are undoubtedly some women who, in hindsight, wish that they had made different choices, and the majority would prefer never to have become pregnant when the circumstances were not right for them. When a wanted pregnancy is ended (for medical reasons, for example) women may experience a sense of loss and grief. As with any major change or decision involving loss, a crisis later in life sometimes leads to a temporary resurfacing of sad feelings surrounding the abortion. Women at risk for poor post-abortion adjustment are those who do not get the support they need, or whose abortion decisions are actively opposed by people who are important to them.

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/women_who.html

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5109a1.htm

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

ETA:  I have noticed that the topic of murdering someone who is already living has come up.

The topic is on why it is ok to force your moral view of when life begins and personhood rights onto people who do not agree with that view point.  I think it is safe to say that a person who has been born has life and has person hood so that point is moot.

Furthermore, I have posted on Page 2 a link to the Theological, Philisophical and Scientific Arguements for when life begins.  Here is the link http://www.sinauer.com/pdf/BioethicsCh02.pdf

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (51-60):
NDADanceMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

So if there was a movement, or religion, or a culture that felt that life did not begin till a child had language would you be ok with that definition?  If a parent had that time to decide if a child was "good  enough" or what they wanted at that time.  Child a slow learner?  Kill it.  Wrong gender?  Kill it.  Too hard right now with finances or scheduling?  Kill it. 

They could come back to you with all the same arguments.  Would you shurg your shoulders and say, "well I cant impose my beliefs on them.  The government cant legislate morality."

Quoting bluespagan:

If life starts at conception to you then don't have an abortion.

Life doesn not start at conception to me so why should your moral view point be forced onto me through legislation?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I find it odd that anyone has to ask this. If you think that abortion is getting rid of pesky cells, like cancer treatment obviously you would not think that it is your business.  If you think it is murder, then it is like asking, "SO what?  your neighbor killed her 6 year old?  How is it your business?"

Life starts at conception for me.  

Kmary
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Yes I know all this.  I'm just playing devil's advocate here. 

Most pro-life people that life begins biologically at conception.  So again, these arguments are not going to change their minds.

Quoting bluespagan:

I adressed the Scientific arguements on page 2.  Even the science community does not agree with when life begins.  There are about 3-4 different arguements on that side.

Quoting Kmary:

Well it may be a question of morals for you.  But to a lot of people, it's a question of biology/science.

I completely agree that legislation should not be based on morals.   It's my main argument for wanting same sex marriage legalized everywhere, so I get where you're coming from.  But I just don't believe you're going to convince someone who equates abortion as murder that it's ok.  Could you ever be convinced that murder of someone outside the womb is ok?  That's exactly how pro-lifers feel about abortion.

Quoting bluespagan:

But the arguement of personhood is usually a moral one.  So for someone to base legislation on their morals is wrong since not everyone believes the same way.

Quoting Kmary:

Well said here.

I don't necessarily believe that abortion should be completely outlawed, but for people who are pro-life, it is a form of murder.  So the argument of the OP would be similar to saying that I shouldn't care if someone murders an adult that I don't know because it doesn't directly affect me. 

Quoting writethisdown:

I think for most pro-lifers its a human rights issue. If they see a fetus as a human being, or believe that life begins at conception, they are essentially fighting against the idea that some human lives are disposable, unvaluable, and unimportant. I think the lines are most often drawn there.

The same reasons why people are outraged by genocide that happens on the other side of the world. Or why people will fight for justice for victims of murder in any situation.

bluespagan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Your arguement is still moot since it can be scientifically proven that a person who has been born has personhood and has life.  That is not the arguement here since science has yet to prove when life begins other than after the person has left the womb.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

So if there was a movement, or religion, or a culture that felt that life did not begin till a child had language would you be ok with that definition?  If a parent had that time to decide if a child was "good  enough" or what they wanted at that time.  Child a slow learner?  Kill it.  Wrong gender?  Kill it.  Too hard right now with finances or scheduling?  Kill it. 

They could come back to you with all the same arguments.  Would you shurg your shoulders and say, "well I cant impose my beliefs on them.  The government cant legislate morality."

Quoting bluespagan:

Life doesn not start at conception to me so why should your moral view point be forced onto me through legislation?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I find it odd that anyone has to ask this. If you think that abortion is getting rid of pesky cells, like cancer treatment obviously you would not think that it is your business.  If you think it is murder, then it is like asking, "SO what?  your neighbor killed her 6 year old?  How is it your business?"

BelleJenWaffulz
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this
To touch on your "myths", there are exceptions to every rule. But well educated people will know that already and not take these studies strictly at face value. Others will get butt-hurt lol

How does abortion affect me? Directly, not at all. I've never been in a position where I've needed, or even considered one.

Indirectly, however, abortion affects us all. In a perfect, fairy tale land, we would have limitless resources, an abundance of jobs and no children in foster care waiting sometimes their entire childhood for someone to choose them. However, we live in the real world where we are quickly depleting our natural resources, the job market is almost non-existant, and our public assistance and foster care programs are stretched so thin I fear a stiff breeze will have it all come crumbling down.

All that being said, I honestly wish there was never a need for abortions. My heart aches for all the lives that could have been. However, realistically I know that there are situations where they are necessary. I'm also very thankful to live somewhere that I get rights in my own reproductive system. I am not told how many children of which gender I am allowed to have, I'm not forced to go through a pregnancy I didn't want, was forced into and can't afford.

I feel as if coming into this post after just waking up is a bad idea because I rambled but yeah...there's a point there somewhere
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM
It does not bother them. They are just like religious fanatics.
If they were that much concerned about babies' lives, why none of them enquire or try to know about the baby which escaped abortion? They are also defenselessly getting bitten, molested, burned, whacked and murdered by unfit caretakers everyday.
No, that would be a real task. So let's just sit in the high horse and preach.
On the other hand, I just hate the other fifty percent, you mentioned in your post, that use abortion as BC. If you're going to sleep around, it is stupid not to use protection.
bluespagan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Of course there is an exception to every rule.  But this applies to the majority of women. 

I think that both sides agree that we would want a world where abortions were unnecessary but sadly we don't live in that world.  So with that,  the best options need to be available to people and if abortion is the best option for me then why should someone who morally opposes it take that choice away?

And no rambling, I clearly understood your post.

Quoting BelleJenWaffulz:

To touch on your "myths", there are exceptions to every rule. But well educated people will know that already and not take these studies strictly at face value. Others will get butt-hurt lol

How does abortion affect me? Directly, not at all. I've never been in a position where I've needed, or even considered one.

Indirectly, however, abortion affects us all. In a perfect, fairy tale land, we would have limitless resources, an abundance of jobs and no children in foster care waiting sometimes their entire childhood for someone to choose them. However, we live in the real world where we are quickly depleting our natural resources, the job market is almost non-existant, and our public assistance and foster care programs are stretched so thin I fear a stiff breeze will have it all come crumbling down.

All that being said, I honestly wish there was never a need for abortions. My heart aches for all the lives that could have been. However, realistically I know that there are situations where they are necessary. I'm also very thankful to live somewhere that I get rights in my own reproductive system. I am not told how many children of which gender I am allowed to have, I'm not forced to go through a pregnancy I didn't want, was forced into and can't afford.

I feel as if coming into this post after just waking up is a bad idea because I rambled but yeah...there's a point there somewhere

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM
I care about all babies born and unborn. If you dont want to get pregnant dont have sex. I've never been on birth control and only got pg when I wanted to. I would welcome an unplanned pregnancy because I love all children. I believe abortion is murder. I advocate for kids all the time.

Quoting emeraldangel20:

Quoting Anonymous:

It hurts me to think so many women can kill their babies

then go advocate for kids like lattie mcgee. his mother and her boyfriend starved him and beat him because he was too "girly"

there's plenty abuse cases out there that ended in death. go advocate for them. because if abortion were illegal, you better believe the number of murdered babies would rise, not fall. and i mean babies already here. not potential ones. or are you the type that doesn't give a shit, as long as they are born?

NDADanceMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM

They can say to you, "the child is not speaking.  How do you know it isnt just a cluster of cells reacting to stimuli?"  So what is the youngest premie that survived? Do we get to say life begins at 23 weeks gestation?  can that be proven?  How far along can we go with a partial birth abortion?  Like you said we cant prove ANYTHING.  You cant prove to me that life doesnt begin at conception so why would I just take your word for it and let it go?  You are going to continue to be pro choice and you should just expect that I am going to continue to be pro life.  When asked Im going to state my opinion.  Im not going to lurk at a clinic but I do have the right as an american to cast my vote for those who support my side.  I feel we both have that right.  You seem to want to take away my freedoms and rights-  rather odd for someone pro choice.  I guess I dont get a choice? 

Quoting bluespagan: 

Your arguement is still moot since it can be scientifically proven that a person who has been born has personhood and has life.  That is not the arguement here since science has yet to prove when life begins other than after the person has left the womb.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

mommasbabies77
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I wish I had the option of not having sex. My father had other ideas.

Quoting Anonymous:

I care about all babies born and unborn. If you dont want to get pregnant dont have sex. I've never been on birth control and only got pg when I wanted to. I would welcome an unplanned pregnancy because I love all children. I believe abortion is murder. I advocate for kids all the time.

Quoting emeraldangel20:

Quoting Anonymous:

then go advocate for kids like lattie mcgee. his mother and her boyfriend starved him and beat him because he was too "girly"

there's plenty abuse cases out there that ended in death. go advocate for them. because if abortion were illegal, you better believe the number of murdered babies would rise, not fall. and i mean babies already here. not potential ones. or are you the type that doesn't give a shit, as long as they are born?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Ok but all of this is based on how you feel and how you believe.  Not everyone feels the same way.  So why is it ok for you to force your morals onto someone else?  What if the roles were reversed and I was to force my moral views on you even though you disagree with me?

And sorry, I am not going to abstain from my DH, that is why I am on birth control. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting emeraldangel20:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)