Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Controversial Topic: How does abortion affect you? *EDITED*

Posted by   + Show Post

***Since many did not seem to take the time to actually read what I have posted please see page 43 for a brief overview of my statement.  This is not a post that is trying to sway you to become pro-choice.  This is not a debate on whether abortion is right or wrong.  This debate is on a woman's right and why it is that one side feels that it is right to take away those rights through legislation.

reading the news this morning and still seeing articles on states trying to defund Planned Parenthood and trying to find ways to stop abortions from occuring. 

The thing that bothers me the most about these articles is I don't understand how abortions affect these people.  If I were to get pregnant tomorrow I would be setting up an appointment to get an abortion.  No questions asked.  I am on birth control to help ensure I do not get pregnant so that would mean my birth control failed and right now I absolutely cannot add a baby to the equation.  But how does that affect anyone other than my husband (who be supportive of my decision) and I?  If you are Pro-Life why is it that you would want to force something onto me that could potentially put us in such a bad place that it would be detrimental to my family?  Why is it that the Government (namely the GOP) feels the need to tell me that I don't have a right to make decisions that are best for my family and my life?  How does what I do with my family, my body and my life affect this nation as a whole or you as an individual?

And before we begin with the obvious statements I would like to give you a few MYTHS of abortion.

MYTH: Women are using abortion as a method of birth control.

In fact, half of all women getting abortions report that contraception was used during the month they became pregnant. Some of these couples had used the method improperly; some had forgotten or neglected to use it on the particular occasion they conceived; and some had used a contraceptive that failed. No contraceptive method prevents pregnancy 100% of the time.

If abortion were used as a primary method of birth control, a typical woman would have at least two or three pregnancies per year - 30 or more during her lifetime. In fact, most women who have abortions have had no previous abortions (52%) or only one previous abortion (26%). Considering that most women are fertile for over 30 years, and that birth control is not perfect, the likelihood of having one or two unintended pregnancies is very high.

MYTH: Women have abortions for selfish or frivolous reasons.

The decision to have an abortion is rarely simple. Most women base their decision on several factors, the most common being lack of money and/or unreadiness to start or expand their families due to existing responsibilities. Many feel that the most responsible course of action is to wait until their situation is more suited to childrearing; 66% plan to have children when they are older, financially able to provide necessities for them, and/or in a supportive relationship with a partner so their children will have two parents. Others wanted to get pregnant but developed serious medical problems, learned that the fetus had severe abnormalities, or experienced some other personal crisis. About 13,000 women each year have abortions because they have become pregnant as a result of rape or incest.

MYTH: Women are often forced into having abortions they do not really want.

Some women say that pressure from a husband, partner, or parent was one of several reasons they chose abortion, but only about 1% give that reason as the "most important" one in making their decision. Conversely, some women who do not want to continue their pregnancies are pressured to do so by family members, friends, or fear of social stigma. Pre-abortion options counseling is designed to determine whether a woman is fully comfortable with her abortion decision, and if she is not, she is encouraged to wait until she has had a chance to consider her options more fully.

MYTH: Many women come to regret their abortions later.

Research indicates that relief is the most common emotional response following abortion, and that psychological distress appears to be greatest before, rather than after, an abortion.

There are undoubtedly some women who, in hindsight, wish that they had made different choices, and the majority would prefer never to have become pregnant when the circumstances were not right for them. When a wanted pregnancy is ended (for medical reasons, for example) women may experience a sense of loss and grief. As with any major change or decision involving loss, a crisis later in life sometimes leads to a temporary resurfacing of sad feelings surrounding the abortion. Women at risk for poor post-abortion adjustment are those who do not get the support they need, or whose abortion decisions are actively opposed by people who are important to them.

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/women_who.html

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5109a1.htm

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

ETA:  I have noticed that the topic of murdering someone who is already living has come up.

The topic is on why it is ok to force your moral view of when life begins and personhood rights onto people who do not agree with that view point.  I think it is safe to say that a person who has been born has life and has person hood so that point is moot.

Furthermore, I have posted on Page 2 a link to the Theological, Philisophical and Scientific Arguements for when life begins.  Here is the link http://www.sinauer.com/pdf/BioethicsCh02.pdf

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
mommasbabies77
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM
MY abortion affects me. Someone else's does not. I'm prochoice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I'd like to see a newborn baby live grow and develop without someone to take care of it. 

Quoting bluespagan:

The definition of Viability is,

: the quality or state of being viable : the ability to live, grow, and develop

2. Capable of living outside the uterus. Used of a fetus or newborn.

So your arguements hold absolutely no water here.

Quoting Anonymous:

A baby is never truly viable, unless they can feed themselves, clean themselves etc. So why not have afterbirth abortions too?

Quoting bluespagan:

But this falls to if you believe that you are killing a "baby".  I honestly don't believe that personhood rights should be given to a fetus until the point of viability, when the "baby" can live outside of the womb. 

Personhood rights are a highly debated arguement as well.  Here is some great info on it.

Please take note here that it is the "Philisophical, Theological and Scientific Arguements".    And even the Scientific arguements have about 3-4 definitions of "life".

Quoting Anonymous:

Just the fact that women do not regret killing a defenseless 'baby' is disgusting. To feel relief for destroying a life makes you no better than a murderer. 

Abortion may not be 'murder' but the people who have them voluntarily with no regret have the attitude of one.

bluespagan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:31 AM

But the arguement of personhood is usually a moral one.  So for someone to base legislation on their morals is wrong since not everyone believes the same way.

Quoting Kmary:

Well said here.

I don't necessarily believe that abortion should be completely outlawed, but for people who are pro-life, it is a form of murder.  So the argument of the OP would be similar to saying that I shouldn't care if someone murders an adult that I don't know because it doesn't directly affect me. 

Quoting writethisdown:

I think for most pro-lifers its a human rights issue. If they see a fetus as a human being, or believe that life begins at conception, they are essentially fighting against the idea that some human lives are disposable, unvaluable, and unimportant. I think the lines are most often drawn there.

The same reasons why people are outraged by genocide that happens on the other side of the world. Or why people will fight for justice for victims of murder in any situation.

mommasbabies77
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM
As far as being forced into an abortion, I was. Not by a clinic tho. It does happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM
10 moms liked this

I don't understand how many people seem to think that because they are morally opposed to abortion and would never get one personally, that they have to outlaw it for others. 

I, personally, am disgusted by abortions except in extreme cases. Without intending any condemnation of the people who get them, the thought makes me feel ill. A close friend of mine recently had one. When she mentioned it, it made me feel really sick and sad.  

BUT... I think it was her "right" to do so.. and it always should be her right.  In this situation, I have NO right to try to legally impose my own morals on someone else. Outlawing abortion would make every miscarriage suspicious. It would make doctors hesitant to act to save the lives of pregnant women who are in danger. It would mean that rapists could force any woman to have their child and the woman would be double-violated with no legal recourse. If a law were to forgive abortions in stances of rape... it would inevitably lead to a slew of false rape reports. 

I recognize that this is an instance where I have to get over my discomfort about other peoples' personal decisions when it comes to the law. I can't outlaw "hottie" pants for children, and I can't outlaw abortion. It's not my place.  I am mature enough to accept that the greater good is not served by outlawing everything that I don't like. 

Futhermore, I don't understand why so many "pro-life" activists choose to abuse women and doctors rather than help children. It could be so much more effective to direct that money and energy toward setting up safe, easy adoption channels, or to provide housekeeping, childcare, and transportation services to women who are doubtful of their ability to care for a child under their present circumstances. I mean.. if a woman is going to a clinic to inquire about an abortion, what's the kinder approach? Telling them that they're going to hell and killing their baby? Or telling them that you run a service that will give her a lift to her prenatal appointments and work with her to make it easier for her to carry to term and then put the child up for adoption or to enable her to care for it herself? The hateful horrible things said and done by the supposedly "pro-life" side of this debate make me suspect that they're mostly psychopaths who just need an outlet for their rage and don't really care about people or "life" at all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Honestly, I view abortion as population control...could you imagine how many more people would be in world? Or how much more PA would be spent?
bluespagan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Your arguement is still moot since viability has nothing to do with feeding or caring for a child but is instead based on the bodies ability to biologically live.   Viability is not based on someone else taking care of the body but on whether or not the body can survive outside of the womb.  The definition is that simple.

I'd like to see a newborn baby live grow and develop without someone to take care of it. 

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting Anonymous:

A baby is never truly viable, unless they can feed themselves, clean themselves etc. So why not have afterbirth abortions too?

Quoting bluespagan:

But this falls to if you believe that you are killing a "baby".  I honestly don't believe that personhood rights should be given to a fetus until the point of viability, when the "baby" can live outside of the womb. 

Personhood rights are a highly debated arguement as well.  Here is some great info on it.

Please take note here that it is the "Philisophical, Theological and Scientific Arguements".    And even the Scientific arguements have about 3-4 definitions of "life".

Quoting Anonymous:

Just the fact that women do not regret killing a defenseless 'baby' is disgusting. To feel relief for destroying a life makes you no better than a murderer. 

Abortion may not be 'murder' but the people who have them voluntarily with no regret have the attitude of one.

suetoo
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM
3 moms liked this
It's a child, not a choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on May. 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM
I'm pro choice, myself. I will not tell a woman what to do with her body, nor will I make her feel guilty for her decision.

I am, however, of the *personal* mindset that, if you're going to terminate a pregnancy, it should be done before 8 weeks along.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Okay so take it one step back and to the side, what if a baby is born, can still 'live' but is basically a vegetable (so won't be viable in the idea of developing etc) is it then alright to kill it once it is born?

Quoting bluespagan:

Your arguement is still moot since viability has nothing to do with feeding or caring for a child but is instead based on the bodies ability to biologically live.   Viability is not based on someone else taking care of the body but on whether or not the body can survive outside of the womb.  The definition is that simple.

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN