Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A questions to the Christians from a pagan

Posted by   + Show Post

I had an interesting conversation with a Christian friend of mine the other day and it surprised me.

She said she is not worried about me being Pagan because I am saved and therefore still a Christian.

I was like WTF?

Here is her theory. When I was a teenager, I was in Christian school. I went to church and youth group and I considered myself to be Christian.

She said because I had asked Jesus to be my savior at one point in time, then I am forver a CHristian....

Ok when I was 10 and in Christian school, the principal gave a huge fire and brimstone sermon and at the end he aske who wanted to be saved from that, so of course we all raised our hands.

He then said if we didnt want to burn in hell to repeat after him and he prayed what he called the "sinner's prayer". Yes we all said the magic words "Jesus come into my heart and be my savior and forgive me of my sins"

My friends says this means no matter what I do Im a Christian and going to heaven when I die...

I disagree.

So Christians, what do you think?

And let's keep it nice, this isn't meant to start a huge fight or pissing match over who is right and who is wrong

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Replies (81-90):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I was baptised @ 8... but excommunicated myself from the only religion i ever knew about 2 yrs ago. I think more along the lines of paganism, but havent yet found where I feel I belong. Religion was my parents choice, not mine. I am not worried about being "saved"... i believe in doing no harm to others and living the best life I possibly can. That's it.
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AshleyBDG:

It is true that once you are saved you are always saved, but you have to have meant it and believe that Jesus was the son of God sent to save you from your sin. Nothing you do (sin) can UNsave you as long as you do in fact believe and trust in God and repented and asked him jnto your heart. That's the nitty gritty of it. Now that's not to say someone can say the prayer just the words not really meaning it and then go on a murder spree and think theyre going to heaven. Basically if you were truly saved and you believe and trust in God, it will be apparent in your life, and because ofthe holy spirit in you you won't choose to take part in sinful things that are unGodly. We all sin though even when we are saved but there is a big difference in sinning and choosing a sinful life and faking the prayer if you will. If you're truly saved you'll WANT to stay away from those things that are sinful. Even when we're saved though sometimes we fall away or make mistakes but Gid knows our hearts and if we truly ask him to save us whether we were 4 or 40, nothing can take you from him.

I agree with you, well said momma:)

Anjlmom32
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Me as well...

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

I like to think I'm an open minded Christian

<.<

>.>

Quoting epoh:

I've yet to meet an open minded Christian. I just don't discuss religion with my "saved" friends and family. Smiling and nodding works well.

Quoting wrensong:

I plan on being reincarnated....I really thought my friend was open minded about my religion. It turns out she is just convinced I am a backslidden Christian :(

Quoting epoh:

I took Jesus into my heart as a kid. I really hope I don't go to their heaven. :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I know, a lot of Christians think that way. Personally, I believe you are what you do. This is not something you accept at this time and so, you are not living accordingly. I don't believe when you die that's it. I don't believe in fiery Hell for non-believers to be cast down into. I believe, also, that God will judge us based on the amount of knowledge we had and hold us accountable for what information we had- not what we did not. Scare tactic on a ten year old is not the ideal basis for making of a decision like this, about Jesus, so I think God would take that into consideration.

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm an open minded christian :) and i would say no you are not a christian. As a child you accepted jesus into your heart out of fear. Not that it doesn't count but since you Did change your point of views in life and religion then no you do not go to our heaven (i said OUR just because you don't believe in it.) The point of going to heaven is living a clean life and if we sin we need to ask god for forgiveness. So it makes no sense to say you accepted jesus and became a christian and if you go and kill and rape and sin that you will still go to heaven. It makes no sense because you have different beliefs and everyone chooses they're own destiny. One christian can't say well you're going to heaven and that's that. If you believe you will be reincarnated then that's what will happen.

Quoting epoh:

I've yet to meet an open minded Christian. I just don't discuss religion with my "saved" friends and family. Smiling and nodding works well.

Quoting wrensong:

I plan on being reincarnated....I really thought my friend was open minded about my religion. It turns out she is just convinced I am a backslidden Christian :(

Quoting epoh:

I took Jesus into my heart as a kid. I really hope I don't go to their heaven. :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casah4
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there are a lot of factors here. For one, it doesn't sound like you really meant it, you just did it out of fear. Plus, I don't believe in once saved, always saved.  So I would say as a Pagan (I don't see you as a Christian. I see it as something you can totally walk away from), you've made the decision not to accept salvation through Jesus and are therefore not "saved".

rhope4
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I just read through the first page of replies but plan on going back to read the others.

I'm Christian, but I have an open mind.  I listen to pagans because I believe that there's more to God than what's in the Bible.  I try to live as I believe Jesus teaches, but being Preterist (believing all the Bible, including end times teaching) has been fulfilled), I know there's more for us TODAY.  With that said, I believe that we live in a "you shall reap what you sow" world.

I've dabbled in reincarnation teaching and wondered if there could be something to it.  Too many weird things and memories for us to live just one life, and the Bible does NOT say we would not/could not come back in another life.  It DOES say that it's appointed unto man once to die, but if I read things right, in Genesis, the soul was the breath of life breathed into Adam and was therefore the body.  Knowing we're made up of spirit as well, the Bible does say that the spirit lives forever but not in what form.  I know that wiccans, for example, use nature to help cure things, and the way I see it, that's using God's creation as He would want us to.

God is a Gentleman.  If you do not want Him in your life, He won't be.  But if you do, He is.  I disagree with many other Christians in the way they judge people, and I admit to being judgemental myself at times even though I try not to be.  I think we're all guilty of that sometimes.  I also disagree with some of the teachings, but I'm a weird one in that regard anyway, lol.

I probably haven't made any sense in this reply, but that's par for the course for me anyway, lol.

MarinaVictoria
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I believe in God, repent, and pray but I do not consider myself a Christian...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephG718
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

That's silly. You're not a Christian bc you were scared into reciting a prayer lol. It sucks that your friend isn't more openminded about your religion. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM
The bible says that those who deny Christ before men, he will deny before the Father so no, I don't think you're ''saved'' and going to heaven.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)