Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A questions to the Christians from a pagan

Posted by   + Show Post

I had an interesting conversation with a Christian friend of mine the other day and it surprised me.

She said she is not worried about me being Pagan because I am saved and therefore still a Christian.

I was like WTF?

Here is her theory. When I was a teenager, I was in Christian school. I went to church and youth group and I considered myself to be Christian.

She said because I had asked Jesus to be my savior at one point in time, then I am forver a CHristian....

Ok when I was 10 and in Christian school, the principal gave a huge fire and brimstone sermon and at the end he aske who wanted to be saved from that, so of course we all raised our hands.

He then said if we didnt want to burn in hell to repeat after him and he prayed what he called the "sinner's prayer". Yes we all said the magic words "Jesus come into my heart and be my savior and forgive me of my sins"

My friends says this means no matter what I do Im a Christian and going to heaven when I die...

I disagree.

So Christians, what do you think?

And let's keep it nice, this isn't meant to start a huge fight or pissing match over who is right and who is wrong

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Replies (91-100):
motherslove82
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I try to be. :-)

Quoting wrensong:

I actually know several open minded Christians. :)

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

I like to think I'm an open minded Christian
<.<
>.>

Quoting epoh:

I've yet to meet an open minded Christian. I just don't discuss religion with my "saved" friends and family. Smiling and nodding works well.

Quoting wrensong:

I plan on being reincarnated....I really thought my friend was open minded about my religion. It turns out she is just convinced I am a backslidden Christian :(

Quoting epoh:

I took Jesus into my heart as a kid. I really hope I don't go to their heaven. :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this
The only thing that can pluck a Christian from the hand of God, is denying the Saviour Jesus Christ.
That is a passage in the Bible, now the way I believe is once saved always saved, UNLESS you deny Jesus. Either by never becoming saved OR by "leaving" the religion and not believing in Jesus. So, I would disagree with your friend. You have denied Jesus at this point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM

i believe you are saved!  good for you.  the problem is when you do get to heaven and are judged because you knowingly denied God and Jesus your whole life.  well i dont know if its a problem.....  no one is going to know the right answer.  but i would rather live my life believeing there is a god and savior and die and find out there isnt than to live livve my life as i f there isnt to find out there is.......

AshleyBDG
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM
I'm baptist and there a few people in our church that had the. Calvinistic belief and it was kind of a big deal in our church because that is NOT what is preached or believed as a whole, not ALL baptists take the Calvinistic view. Just wanted to clear that up.

Quoting disco_14_99:

This is true, but if you study deep enough you can find answers about how literal you are supposed to take certain things. Many of the interpretations are based off of historical peoples opinions. For instance, Baptists still believe the Calvinistic view (which is the opinion of John Calvin's interpretation). So basically, the Bapitist interpretation is based off of a man's opinion from almost a thousand years ago.

Each denomination has their own opinions they still believe from around the same time, or even earlier. Personally, I do not believe we should still be teaching opinions that old, because there have been so many discoveries made that have revolutionised the way we learn the Bible. For instance, we have learned  from archealogical discoveries (because we can now better understand the original languages that the Bible was written in) that the King James Version is not completely accurate.

The opinions that many of these denominations are teaching came from a very corrupt time. This is why there are many interpretations of the Bible, but only 1 correct interpretation.

Quoting sunbaby77:

There may be one bible, but there are many different interpretations of it, and some forms of Christianity take it more literally than others.

Quoting disco_14_99:

There are many different denominations, but there is only 1 Bible. Wether or not she is still saved is determined by what the BIBLe says about it, not some denomination. Yes, there are hypocrisies, but religion doesn't make a hypocrite, a hypocrite makes a religion. This is why you have to study and decide what to believe for yourself with out listening to opinions.

Quoting sunbaby77:

Whether or not you are still "saved" depends on which form of Christianity you are talking about.  For example, Catholics and Baptists have extremely different views.  Frankly, I think it's all BS - which is why I am an athiest.  I was raised Baptist on my dad's side and Episcopal (similar to Catholic) on my mom's side.  I was totally immersed in church as a kid, but I never believed any of it.  I liked the social aspects of church and I agree with the moral lessons.  However, the stories are just ridiculous to me - as are many of the rules and hypocracies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lfisher17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It is possible to fall from grace. I'm not saying this to be mean but if you deny God/ Jesus even if you were a "Christian" in the past you will not be going to heaven unless you pick up a Bible read what it say then do what it says. I am a Christian and my hope is that everyone comes to be a true Christian but God gave us freewill and it's not for me to take that away from anyone else. Just because I don't agree with what other people choose to believe doesn't mean that I don't care for them.

Maddiesmommy11
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
If you believe that Jesus Christ died on a cross for your sins and rose again so that one day you could have eternal life then yes you are saved. If you are a pagan now I don't know how you could claim Christ as your savior. How do you feel is they key question? It doesn't matter what we think it's matters what you know in your heart and soul. Do you believe Christ is your savior ? If the answer is no then no you are not saved. Yes you can turn away from God the same way you turn away from your spouse or children or whomever .. But Christ forgives no matter what and will accept you back.
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I believe Jesus was a very smart man and had a lot of good  to share. I do not believe he was the son of god, nor do I believe he is my saviour.

I believe that we all must be responsible for the things we do, both good and bad.

I am pretty clear about that with my friend so that is why I was kind of surprised when she said she believed I was saved because of something I said at 10 years old, out of fear of being burned forever

Quoting Maddiesmommy11:

If you believe that Jesus Christ died on a cross for your sins and rose again so that one day you could have eternal life then yes you are saved. If you are a pagan now I don't know how you could claim Christ as your savior. How do you feel is they key question? It doesn't matter what we think it's matters what you know in your heart and soul. Do you believe Christ is your savor ? If the answer is no then no you are not saved. Yes you can turn away from God the same way you turn away from your spouse or children or whomever .. But Christ forgives no matter what and will accept you back.

Life in a Pagan Family (my blog)
http://lifeinapaganfamily.blog.com/
Maddiesmommy11
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM
How can you say that you believe " Jesus was a very smart man" but you don't believe he is the son of God or your savior ?!! Jesus said himself that he was the son of God and that he is the way the truth and the light and nobody goes to the father except by him. So he was either a coo coo nut bag or He is who He says He Is!!! You can't claim he is smart but deny his teachings, his teachings are who He is.

Quoting wrensong:
disco_14_99
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

What I meant is that all Baptist seminaries teach this view to their students, and in turn that is what they are expected to teach in church. Now wether or not they choose to do that is a different story. That is why Baptist churches vary in wether or not they believe/teach the "once saved always saved" concept. And same goes with each denomination, they are all taught views based on really old opinions of their own denomination when they go to school/seminary/Bible college.

Just because you consider yourself apart of a denomination, doesn't mean you have to agree with every aspect of it. And I am that way also.

Quoting AshleyBDG:

I'm baptist and there a few people in our church that had the. Calvinistic belief and it was kind of a big deal in our church because that is NOT what is preached or believed as a whole, not ALL baptists take the Calvinistic view. Just wanted to clear that up.

Quoting disco_14_99:

This is true, but if you study deep enough you can find answers about how literal you are supposed to take certain things. Many of the interpretations are based off of historical peoples opinions. For instance, Baptists still believe the Calvinistic view (which is the opinion of John Calvin's interpretation). So basically, the Bapitist interpretation is based off of a man's opinion from almost a thousand years ago.

Each denomination has their own opinions they still believe from around the same time, or even earlier. Personally, I do not believe we should still be teaching opinions that old, because there have been so many discoveries made that have revolutionised the way we learn the Bible. For instance, we have learned  from archealogical discoveries (because we can now better understand the original languages that the Bible was written in) that the King James Version is not completely accurate.

The opinions that many of these denominations are teaching came from a very corrupt time. This is why there are many interpretations of the Bible, but only 1 correct interpretation.

Quoting sunbaby77:

There may be one bible, but there are many different interpretations of it, and some forms of Christianity take it more literally than others.

Quoting disco_14_99:

There are many different denominations, but there is only 1 Bible. Wether or not she is still saved is determined by what the BIBLe says about it, not some denomination. Yes, there are hypocrisies, but religion doesn't make a hypocrite, a hypocrite makes a religion. This is why you have to study and decide what to believe for yourself with out listening to opinions.

Quoting sunbaby77:

Whether or not you are still "saved" depends on which form of Christianity you are talking about.  For example, Catholics and Baptists have extremely different views.  Frankly, I think it's all BS - which is why I am an athiest.  I was raised Baptist on my dad's side and Episcopal (similar to Catholic) on my mom's side.  I was totally immersed in church as a kid, but I never believed any of it.  I liked the social aspects of church and I agree with the moral lessons.  However, the stories are just ridiculous to me - as are many of the rules and hypocracies.

disco_14_99
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

- C.S. Lewis

Quoting Maddiesmommy11:

How can you say that you believe " Jesus was a very smart man" but you don't believe he is the son of God or your savior ?!! Jesus said himself that he was the son of God and that he is the way the truth and the light and nobody goes to the father except by him. So he was either a coo coo nut bag or He is who He says He Is!!! You can't claim he is smart but deny his teachings, his teachings is who he is !!!

Quoting wrensong:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)