Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why have a lot of kids if you can't afford to do things with them? revised

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 351 Replies
2 moms liked this

Personally, I have 4 kids. To many, it's a lot.. but honestly, I would love more. HOWEVER, financially, 4 is our limit.

I get sad (and sometimes mad) when I hear of families not being able to do things with their kids because they can't afford it and then complain about it. (i.e. occasionally go out to dinner, go on vacations, etc).

I know all of that is not what is most important in life as long as the kids are happy and healthy...and I know there are things that are fun and FREE (I do these things too.. that's how we can afford to go on vacations, visit amusement parks, etc.)  but I think it's sad to have to tell your kids they can't do something (all the time) because they can't afford it.

Am I being irrational?!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CadesMum
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 5, 2012 at 4:09 PM
12 moms liked this

none of the stuff you mentioned above is necessary. its a luxury. not a necessity. sure it nice to be able to do that stuff every once in awhile. but a child is not gonna suffer and have an unhappy childhood just cuz they can't do stuff like that w/ their family. there is lots of other stuff you can do w/ your family that is just as good and suffice.

atyou
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
going out to dinner...vacations....amusement parks and sports is absolutely not what is important in life. you said it yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSlingshot
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM
6 moms liked this
You're being a wee bit irrational. Children are not harmed by always eating home cooked meals and never going on expensive vacations. Different families have different priorities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemomof307
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this
There are many things you can do with your kids that doesn't cost anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hilary799
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:12 PM
We don't do a lot of family vacations during the year, dh is ad military and its hard to get time off. But we do other things. Honestly its not important. We are teaching our kids that we don't have to go somewhere all the time for fun. Btw we have 6
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM
7 moms liked this
I agree. Children want and need more then food and shelter. Even if you can provide the basics, you shouldnt have more kids unless you can go above and beyond. Kids deserve to have memory making life experience, and usually those cost money. Vacations, summer camp, sports, any extracurricular activities, not to mention a great education (usually private school) and college, they are all expensive but children deserve it. They are only a child once, and you should make the most of it.
RhondaVeggie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Stuff like vacations and amusement parks aren't important but it always puzzles me when people try so hard to get pregnant and then complain that they can't afford to stay home and raise the kid. What's the point?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

oh, I know they're not necessary.... but what's life without SOME luxury?? Boring. lol.. There are only a FEW things left in the world that are free.. family game nights, going to the park, having picnics... it gets old, I'm sure. I go crazy if I can't get out of my town and do something outside of the norm.

Quoting Anonymous:

none of the stuff you mentioned above is necessary. its a luxury. not a necessity. sure it nice to be able to do that stuff every once in awhile. but a child is not gonna suffer and have an unhappy childhood just cuz they can't do stuff like that w/ their family. there is lots of other stuff you can do w/ your family that is just as good and suffice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM
My sisters friend in highschool had 11 siblings. She had never left the city we lived in, never been out to eat, never played sports or anything extra curricular. It was very sad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)