Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why have a lot of kids if you can't afford to do things with them? revised

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Personally, I have 4 kids. To many, it's a lot.. but honestly, I would love more. HOWEVER, financially, 4 is our limit.

I get sad (and sometimes mad) when I hear of families not being able to do things with their kids because they can't afford it and then complain about it. (i.e. occasionally go out to dinner, go on vacations, etc).

I know all of that is not what is most important in life as long as the kids are happy and healthy...and I know there are things that are fun and FREE (I do these things too.. that's how we can afford to go on vacations, visit amusement parks, etc.)  but I think it's sad to have to tell your kids they can't do something (all the time) because they can't afford it.

Am I being irrational?!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Replies (111-120):
Tea4Tas
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh... so basically if your poor - dont have kids?

Alrighty then.

I don;t think anyon said that. But if you are poor, perhaps you ought not to have more children than you can AFFORD to raise.

I know that is a somewhat radical concept on  here, where some think the Governement owes it to them to feed their children....but it's true. Don't have more children than you can afford.

AquarianPath
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My fondest memories weren't of going out to eat, but being on my family's ranch in bickleton Washington, fishing and camping in tents, sitting and painting crafts with my mom, sitting by the woodstove on cold winter nights playing board games. Sorry, luxury vacations aren't necessary to make happy memories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queensweet
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

No. I also agree with you to some degree. I think you should only have what you can afford to take care of as far as needs first and foremost. Because when they fall short in their duties, we have to pick up the slack. And to me that's not fair. Plus, as parents, we have to give children a sense of pride of handling your own business without relying on the "government's crumbs".

Feel free to agree or disagree.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Government bought cookie?? Who said I was on PA? LOL. I dont work because my husband makes 70,000 a year...but I DONT GO BRAGGING ABOUT WHAT LUXURIES MY FAMILY CAN OR CANNOT AFFORD. ITS RUDE!

Quoting Anonymous:

No, thank you. I have my own cookies, and do not need to eat a government bought cookie. Thank you for offering tho.

Quoting Lyssa0587:

congratu-fucking-lations..LOL.Would you like a cookie?

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk who you are referring to, because you didnt quote anyone, but i am going to assume it is me. I said "a great education (usually private school)" Keyword being usually. There are some public schools that provide a decent education, and homeschooling is a nice alternative for some, however yes, in general private school is better. I would even dare say that my children are recieving a much better education then 98% of public school children, which is turn gives them a much better chance at being successful in life.

Also, I don't think im necessarily better then you. I simply would not have brought children into the world, if i could not afford to give them the best of everything (including school, memories, activities, vacations, etc)

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Oh, and by the way a great education is not just received at a private school...you act as if you are better than everyone else because you can afford these things. NOT COOL AT ALL!

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on May. 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL you can sure tell there is a full moon this evening. Later this evening sure should be fun!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Like everything in life its a choice. Some people don't consider things like that important but honestly I do so we just have one child, I feel I can give her so much more if its just her. Right now we travel A lot, my 4 year old has more stamps in her passport than most adults have in a life time. She's been in the best extra curricular activities money can buy since she started to walk. I didn't grow up with much and didn't get to do much because my mom didn't have the money, so this why I want to be able to give it all to my child. I do feel I missed out on a lot of exposure as a child because my mom never had the money. The first restaurant I ate at I was 11, and I remember being very nervous because I didn't know how to act or behave.

OP.I.think your decision of only having the kids you can afford is a great one, and many could learn from your example... I'm sure when your kids are older they'll be very greatful and have good memories of the nice things you did as a family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truth.be.told
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Who cares?

I hear 'my taxes pay for your kids'. So what? Your taxes pay for roads you'll never drive on, stop signs you'll never stop at and stop lights you'll never see.

Why not complain about that shit huh? Or you rather starve people?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh... so basically if your poor - dont have kids?

Alrighty then.

I don;t think anyon said that. But if you are poor, perhaps you ought not to have more children than you can AFFORD to raise.

I know that is a somewhat radical concept on  here, where some think the Governement owes it to them to feed their children....but it's true. Don't have more children than you can afford.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.SoldiersWife.
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I have 2 living children, and one who will be here any day now. I personally don't care if my children never get to go to all the luxury extras. As long as they have a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. However, I do not find sports and extracurriculums to be luxuries but instead to be neccessities. We provide our children with memberships to local museums and the agricultural park. They get to do a lot that other kids don't and beleive it or not could careless if they ever go to Disney.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

We can't afford to take our kids to Disney World. Guess we shouldn't of had our kids in your eyes, huh?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I was never bragging. Just stating my opinion, that if you cant afford to give your child experiences and provide them with opportunities, then dont have any more. If you'd like me to brag tho, i spent damn near what your family made last year on private school tuition, and i dont work either. There does that make you feel better.

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Government bought cookie?? Who said I was on PA? LOL. I dont work because my husband makes 70,000 a year...but I DONT GO BRAGGING ABOUT WHAT LUXURIES MY FAMILY CAN OR CANNOT AFFORD. ITS RUDE!

Quoting Anonymous:

No, thank you. I have my own cookies, and do not need to eat a government bought cookie. Thank you for offering tho.

Quoting Lyssa0587:

congratu-fucking-lations..LOL.Would you like a cookie?

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk who you are referring to, because you didnt quote anyone, but i am going to assume it is me. I said "a great education (usually private school)" Keyword being usually. There are some public schools that provide a decent education, and homeschooling is a nice alternative for some, however yes, in general private school is better. I would even dare say that my children are recieving a much better education then 98% of public school children, which is turn gives them a much better chance at being successful in life.

Also, I don't think im necessarily better then you. I simply would not have brought children into the world, if i could not afford to give them the best of everything (including school, memories, activities, vacations, etc)

Quoting Lyssa0587:

Oh, and by the way a great education is not just received at a private school...you act as if you are better than everyone else because you can afford these things. NOT COOL AT ALL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured