Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why have a lot of kids if you can't afford to do things with them? revised

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Personally, I have 4 kids. To many, it's a lot.. but honestly, I would love more. HOWEVER, financially, 4 is our limit.

I get sad (and sometimes mad) when I hear of families not being able to do things with their kids because they can't afford it and then complain about it. (i.e. occasionally go out to dinner, go on vacations, etc).

I know all of that is not what is most important in life as long as the kids are happy and healthy...and I know there are things that are fun and FREE (I do these things too.. that's how we can afford to go on vacations, visit amusement parks, etc.)  but I think it's sad to have to tell your kids they can't do something (all the time) because they can't afford it.

Am I being irrational?!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM
2 moms liked this

having a picnic outside with the kids making the food with you, enjoying the sun and a game of soccer or something together is much more fun than going out to dinner, needing to act "proper" just so you dont annoy other diners etc... and this is just one example

There are plenty of things you can do that are cheap or free as a family that dont involve everything you had just said.

Our current thing is going geocaching. Its a lot of fun together, working out multi caches, doing brain teazers etc then going out to find the caches which is basically a treasure hunt! and you get to discover so much things in your area you never knew existed... like the other day we found out there is a waterfall just 20 minutes from where I live... we have lived here for over 20 years and never knew about it lol and geocaching is FREE!

MZ82
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Very true. Many people have a different lifestyle, and whats important for their kids and family may not be important to you...and vise-versa. Sports, vacations, etc, are all for fun. You can do all those things, without spending a dime. Go on outings to a local lake to swim, fish, whatever. Camp in your backyard. Play a game of backyard baseball. You don't spend a dime, kids get exercise, and you enjoy family time.

Quoting Anonymous:

none of the stuff you mentioned above is necessary. its a luxury. not a necessity. sure it nice to be able to do that stuff every once in awhile. but a child is not gonna suffer and have an unhappy childhood just cuz they can't do stuff like that w/ their family. there is lots of other stuff you can do w/ your family that is just as good and suffice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

That's kind of what I was going for... this whole thing came to mind after reading something on this subject and the person complaining that they can't afford it.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Stuff like vacations and amusement parks aren't important but it always puzzles me when people try so hard to get pregnant and then complain that they can't afford to stay home and raise the kid. What's the point?

TugBoatMama
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM
I think most good parents have dreams and plans of the nice things we want to do for our kids. But sometimes life happens and people fall on hard times. As much as I would like to plan for every year of their childhood it just isn't realistic. My kids know I would love to take them to Disney World but they also know that we have to work hard to provide for them first and foremost. We do go on family outings like restaurants and baseball games. But we can also make our own fun and memories without spending a dime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

No this stuff isnt needed and yes it does suck having to tell your kids you cant go do something cause not enough money. But if they are healthy and happy yes that is what matters most. People can have kids that can afford it and then something happen like they lose their job or something. Just cause your financially set at the time you have them doesnt guarantee you will be for the rest of their lives. sometimes things happen and it sucks

pasteeater
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM
People will say bc failed. That's the number reason here. I've never seen so much bc failure.
My son is in band and to me it is necessary. It expands his mind his soul and he gets to go on awesome trips. Before any one says they can't afford things like that, we saved all school year. It's important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My 2 kids don't get to do most of that. We can only afford to take them out to dinner maybe once a month, and as far as vacations and amusement parks go, they're lucky if we go to the zoo and the county fairs in the summer. And you know what? They don't mind at all. My dd's understand that money doesn't just appear out of thin air, and there are other ways to have fun that don't cost much, if anything. They'd rather have their daddy take them fishing and cook hotdogs over a fire than go to any amusement park.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I agree that all of that is fun! We go geochaching too! But I wouldn't call that free :P that uses A LOT of gas! lol
I'm all for doing fun, FREE stuff... but I also find the luxuries semi-important too. If they earn it, they get it.

Quoting Misery_Stitches:

having a picnic outside with the kids making the food with you, enjoying the sun and a game of soccer or something together is much more fun than going out to dinner, needing to act "proper" just so you dont annoy other diners etc... and this is just one example

There are plenty of things you can do that are cheap or free as a family that dont involve everything you had just said.

Our current thing is going geocaching. Its a lot of fun together, working out multi caches, doing brain teazers etc then going out to find the caches which is basically a treasure hunt! and you get to discover so much things in your area you never knew existed... like the other day we found out there is a waterfall just 20 minutes from where I live... we have lived here for over 20 years and never knew about it lol and geocaching is FREE!

workoutmom2b1g
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Everyones priorities are different....

mcr17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

yeah, you are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)