Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Why have a lot of kids if you can't afford to do things with them?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

Since not everyone can afford to do vacations 3-4 times a year, go out to eat multiple times a week or even a month and all the other LUXURIES that were posted.....

How do you SHOW your kids love and make positive family memories rather than buying their love out of unnecessary luxuries? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM

BUMP!

Aadensma
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Spend time with them, talk to them, play with them. Kids don't want toys and crap, they want their moms and dads to acknowledge them. I grew up in a family of 9. We didn't do much because my parents were not smart with money but I was just happy to have my mom and dad together. And to have stability, consistency, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I agree. 

Though I did grow up with vacations and getting things pretty much whenever I wanted. I can tell you I so wish we would have had actual family time and to be felt like we were cared about. I can't remember the last time either of my parents told me "I love you". 

With my kids I do it very differently and am proud of myself and my husband for doing so. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 5, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I wasn't in that post but you are judging just as much as you were judged. i can afford to give my son luxuries such as museum membership,zoo membership and a vacation a year. i am by far buying his love. he receives love on a minute to minute basis. He gets those things to try to make up to him that he will NEVER know about siblings. It will only be just him.  I find those things to be necessary. Just because I can afford to give him those things don't make me any less of a parent then you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Who said I couldn't afford to give our kids those things? Not me. Fact is we can, we just choose to show them love rather than buying them love. 

Quoting brettsmomma:

I wasn't in that post but you are judging just as much as you were judged. i can afford to give my son luxuries such as museum membership,zoo membership and a vacation a year. i am by far buying his love. he receives love on a minute to minute basis. He gets those things to try to make up to him that he will NEVER know about siblings. It will only be just him.  I find those things to be necessary. Just because I can afford to give him those things don't make me any less of a parent then you.

reyna09
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

take him to playgrounds, swimming, kid friendly resteraunts( not all are fast food either), go with his dad while he trains at the dojo,once a year me and my son go visit my family up north, umm theres lots.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM

i show my kid plenty of love also.  Who are you to say just because he gets a little extra on payday I don't love him? im just trying to show you that you are upset(upset enough to make a spin off post) about being judged yet here you are doing the very same thing.

The fact of the matter is you should parent how you see fit and I will continue to do so also. neither one of us are bad or doing wrong. We just do it differently.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who said I couldn't afford to give our kids those things? Not me. Fact is we can, we just choose to show them love rather than buying them love. 

Quoting brettsmomma:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Did I say "you don't love your kid"? No, was the post specifically referring to YOU? No. 

Not upset dear, just SMH as to why some people feel that LUXURIES are necessary to show their kids love or to think that people aren't giving their kids positive family memories all because they don't blow their money on unnecessary things. 

Don't get so defensive. 

And, I wasn't directly judged in that post. lol

Quoting brettsmomma:

i show my kid plenty of love also.  Who are you to say just because he gets a little extra on payday I don't love him? im just trying to show you that you are upset(upset enough to make a spin off post) about being judged yet here you are doing the very same thing.

The fact of the matter is you should parent how you see fit and I will continue to do so also. neither one of us are bad or doing wrong. We just do it differently.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brettsmomma:

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on May. 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM

We do little things my kids love. LIke the other day we went out & sprayed the yard down & got MUDDY. Kids LOVED it. We go to the beach, we go hiking, we go camping. My son loves space so at night we go look at the stars. We go to the zoo once a year.  Things like that

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM

How do you SHOW your kids love and make positive family memories rather than buying their love out of unnecessary luxuries?  

this is exactly what you said that offended me. I do make positive family memories. I do not buy my sons love by getting him unecessary luxuries. you assume that.and when you group families together by what they purchase for their children you are judging.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did I say "you don't love your kid"? No, was the post specifically referring to YOU? No. 

Not upset dear, just SMH as to why some people feel that LUXURIES are necessary to show their kids love or to think that people aren't giving their kids positive family memories all because they don't blow their money on unnecessary things. 

Don't get so defensive. 

And, I wasn't directly judged in that post. lol

Quoting brettsmomma:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brettsmomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)