Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

car seats and booster seats. when do you stop using them?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I had a friend who has 3 kids who are in 1st and 2nd and kindergarden and says she still uses car seat for them.... 

I thought that was weird but she said the state ( AZ) has passed a law saying unless they are a certian wait they cant go without car seats and now even 2 year olds now need to face the back as well.. 

what do you think?

P.s

I have a DD, when i went to a volunteer parenting class, in 2009. the instructor told me that baby needs to be 1 or 23 pounds to be facing foward. so thats what i did. my DD is 2 facing forward and when my friend told me this i was totally surprised. cause, also i didnt have a booster seat when i was 6. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
elleinady
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Uhm it's the law to keep using them. Really? 1st and 2nd grade? That's totally normal! My 4th grader is still in a booster. Not only is it the law, he is safe. You should keep a child in a 5 point harness for as long as possible, and use a booster until the child is 4 foot 9. For some kids, that's 6th grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had a friend who has 3 kids who are in 1st and 2nd and kindergarden and says she still uses car seat for them.... 

I thought that was weird but she said the state ( AZ) has passed a law saying unless they are a certian wait they cant go without car seats and now even 2 year olds now need to face the back as well.. 

what do you think?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristeenieB
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM
My almost 3 yr old is still rear facing and will be until he hits 40lbs (seat weight limit). He will also be in a 5 point harness until he is over his seat's weight limit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM
The law where I live is age 8 and 4' 9" tall. My daughter will be in a car or booster seat for a while.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Until they pass the height and weight requirements and it's not against my state's law.

ICPclwnLOV
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My 14 year old is still rear facing and my 20 year old will be in a booster for another year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 11:35 PM

My 7yo and 5yo are in boosters. The 7yo probably will be for awhile still, he's skinny. The 5yo is skinny too...we'll probably take them out at the end of second grade for each.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM

My son will use a 5pt harness until he outgrows the carseat with the highest strap height (which is currently a Frontier 85), then he will move on to HBB booster until he out grows that..and then he will use a LBB until the seat fits him properly without the LBB. I know this is not common practice, but as his mother it is my job to keeps him as safe as I can when in a vehicle.

LysNVantesMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:42 PM

MY DS age 8 still rides in a booster.  In NY they recommend 100 pounds.  Law is 80.  I will keep him in the booster until he is 100 pounds.  He is safer and it isn't harming me any.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
My state they have to meet 2 of 3 limits
1) 80 lbs
2) 4'9"
3) 8 yrs old
My girls are 11 yrs old, 65 lbs, 4'11" out of a booster if she had to hit all threy she would be in one for her driving test in 5 yrs. 9 yrs old, 65 lbs, 4'9" also out of booster. 5 yr old, 45 lbs, 3'7" in a no back booster she got for her 4th birthday. She was in a5 point seat till then, she will be in her booster till she is 8 like her sisters. My girls will be long and thin, their father is 7'3" barely 200 lbs. So they will never hit the weight requirements.
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM
When the belt fits... my 9 year old still rides in a booster and will for a couple more years
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)