Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

car seats and booster seats. when do you stop using them?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I had a friend who has 3 kids who are in 1st and 2nd and kindergarden and says she still uses car seat for them.... 

I thought that was weird but she said the state ( AZ) has passed a law saying unless they are a certian wait they cant go without car seats and now even 2 year olds now need to face the back as well.. 

what do you think?

P.s

I have a DD, when i went to a volunteer parenting class, in 2009. the instructor told me that baby needs to be 1 or 23 pounds to be facing foward. so thats what i did. my DD is 2 facing forward and when my friend told me this i was totally surprised. cause, also i didnt have a booster seat when i was 6. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Replies (111-116):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM
That's not true. In Florida it is age 5 to be out of a booster. The cops that sit pull people over in front of DS's school asks everyone how old their child is so they know whether to add that to your ticket.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Its illegal in all states to have a child under four foot nine without a booster. My son will be five and six when he enters first and second grade, and you better believe he will still be in a booster.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel20
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

until they max out the limits and not a second sooner. i dont care if it looks weird, it's safer.

littleacorn
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Same here.

Quoting elle7777:

Well the law here is boostered to 8 years old, so a k-2nd grader would still be in a booster if you went by the minimums.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyvamp5489
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

My sons are 9 and 11 and they got out of thier booster seats just a couple yrs ago. They have to be a certain weight and height for the seatbelts to fit and work properly. Call your local police nonemergency number and find out your state laws. Thats what i did when i found out my kids could get out of theirs.

LucyHarper
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

"Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat."

It may not be a law, but its highly recommended and pretty irresponsible to switch them that early, plus I have a lot of issues with floridas driving laws. 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

That's not true. In Florida it is age 5 to be out of a booster. The cops that sit pull people over in front of DS's school asks everyone how old their child is so they know whether to add that to your ticket.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Its illegal in all states to have a child under four foot nine without a booster. My son will be five and six when he enters first and second grade, and you better believe he will still be in a booster.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care what your opinions are or your personal issues with the driving laws. You stated it is ILLEGAL in ALL states, which you just confirmed it is not. That's what I was pointing out. Your are entitled to opinions but to state your opinion as fact is not correct.

Quoting LucyHarper:

"Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat."

It may not be a law, but its highly recommended and pretty irresponsible to switch them that early, plus I have a lot of issues with floridas driving laws. 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN