Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

car seats and booster seats. when do you stop using them?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I had a friend who has 3 kids who are in 1st and 2nd and kindergarden and says she still uses car seat for them.... 

I thought that was weird but she said the state ( AZ) has passed a law saying unless they are a certian wait they cant go without car seats and now even 2 year olds now need to face the back as well.. 

what do you think?

P.s

I have a DD, when i went to a volunteer parenting class, in 2009. the instructor told me that baby needs to be 1 or 23 pounds to be facing foward. so thats what i did. my DD is 2 facing forward and when my friend told me this i was totally surprised. cause, also i didnt have a booster seat when i was 6. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
piwife
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM

my dd rearface till a lil pass 4yrs old,  she is now 5 and in a 5 point harness. my ds is 3 and still rearfacing. i will do my best to keep my kids safe.

goodmama85
by Diamond Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Here in ny up to 8 yrs old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Here if you are 8 you legally do not have to be in a carseat or booster seat anymore :) Our oldest is 6 and he is in a booster seat, 4 year old is in a 5pt harness and well the baby isn't hear yet but when he does come obviously he will be rearfacing :)

popomill
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Well, you need to check with the state for rules on that and make sure it's up dated rules. Every state is different. In Illinois we were supposed to keep my son in a rear facing seat until he was 2 (we hadto turn him early he was just way to big for rear facing. He was supposed to be in a car seat until he was 4 (again, he was just too big for his convertible car seat, it was supposed to be a booster too, but he's so big) but he put him in his booster early. I was really nervous about it until we got into a car accident and nothing happened to him. But if just depends on the state because all of them are different.

julesmccord
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM
My 5.5yr old just outgrew her harness so shes in a booster.
My 2yr is ff in his seat.
My 5mo will rf until at least two if not longer since I was able to get a better seat for him (higher limits for rf & harness)

Everyone will be boostered to age 8 & 4'9" per the law
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Those are poor ass excuses. They do make high height and weight limit car seats. But I guess your child's safety isn't that important.

Thank God your child was ok during the accident. But you are ignorant if you think he is just as safe. Huge parent fail.

Quoting popomill:

Well, you need to check with the state for rules on that and make sure it's up dated rules. Every state is different. In Illinois we were supposed to keep my son in a rear facing seat until he was 2 (we hadto turn him early he was just way to big for rear facing. He was supposed to be in a car seat until he was 4 (again, he was just too big for his convertible car seat, it was supposed to be a booster too, but he's so big) but he put him in his booster early. I was really nervous about it until we got into a car accident and nothing happened to him. But if just depends on the state because all of them are different.

popomill
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Those are poor ass excuses. They do make high height and weight limit car seats. But I guess your child's safety isn't that important.

Thank God your child was ok during the accident. But you are ignorant if you think he is just as safe. Huge parent fail.

Quoting popomill:

Oh I'm so sorry, I forgot to tell you that my son was well over the height and weight requirements for every car seat that he was in, hence me saying that he was just way to big for his seats to we put him in the next size early, BASED ON HIS AGE. When you child is so big that he can't even get buckled into the car seat with out getting his legs and chest pinched even though the straps are a big as they can get, when his legs are so long that in a rear facing seat they are going UP the back of the seat, and when you look up the laws in your state and realise, wow, he's still a few months away from being able to go into the next seat but damn, he's 5 inches over the requirement and 10 pounds over the requirement, it means he's big enough to go up into the next size seat. I'm so sorry that my son is tall!

TraceyMR
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I will use carseats and boosters for as long as DD needs them. When she is old enough and mature enough to sit in a seatbelt with a booster then she will move out of a 5 point harness seat. When she is tall enough and the seat belt fits her correctly without one, then she will be done with a booster.
I'm not going to bash other moms for their choices but will offer advice and education on the subject when asked.

booklover74
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Our state law is rear facing until age one. Booster or carseat until age 8 or 80# or 4' 9" tall or only a lapbelt is available.

My nine and 11 year olds are both out of boosters/car seats and have been by age 7 each. They have always been tall and skinny. My six year old, Kdg,  is already 4' 6",  and according to the manufactures directions, for his seat (where his head hits), he has about an inch to go before his head is to high up for  him to use the booster. He's only got five pounds, at most before he's over the wieght limit for it. He may actually be taller and heavier beause it's been a few months sine I measured/weighed  him.  I imagine he'll be out of the booster by the end of the summer. I'm sure a lot of people, especially those online, would think I was bad or wrong for not insisting he stay in a booster when he outgrows it by hieght beause he's only six. I'm ok with that.

I don't think any state has passed actual laws saying children have to be rear facing until age two. It's a recomendation. 

CBMMOM
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:22 AM

InFlorida,kids only need a car seat or booster seat til they are 5. My daughter is almost 7 and still rides in a booster seat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)