Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

car seats and booster seats. when do you stop using them?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I had a friend who has 3 kids who are in 1st and 2nd and kindergarden and says she still uses car seat for them.... 

I thought that was weird but she said the state ( AZ) has passed a law saying unless they are a certian wait they cant go without car seats and now even 2 year olds now need to face the back as well.. 

what do you think?

P.s

I have a DD, when i went to a volunteer parenting class, in 2009. the instructor told me that baby needs to be 1 or 23 pounds to be facing foward. so thats what i did. my DD is 2 facing forward and when my friend told me this i was totally surprised. cause, also i didnt have a booster seat when i was 6. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Replies (81-90):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Yes, and what do you think raising the child accomplishes?

A belt that is positioned correctly!

What do you think backless boosters were made for? LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

That is a high back booster. Backless boosters don't position the belt. They just raise the child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Clearly you don't know what a booster seat is. It's designed to position the belt properly. This goes for all booster seats. They're not made so your kid can see out the window.

Put him back in his booster

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

My child just turned 8 and is 60 lbs and NY law says they no longer need to be in a car seat after that age/weight.  He was in a booster seat in the middle of the back seat from about age 5 on.  He now sits in the middle back seat, but with just the lap belt because the shoulder strap part goes across his lower face/neck area and he just can't wear it like that.  I HATE that he's only using the lap belt part and not the shoulder part, but it doesn't fit.  We've tried sitting him on the side, but same issue with the shoulder strap part of the seatbelt.  I'd prefer he was wearing the seatbelt properly (lap and shoulder both) but it just doesn't fit that way.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  How can I make the shoulder part fit?

By placing him back in a belt positioning booster seat. Many go up to 80lbs.

The booster seat I have is not a "belt positioning booster seat".  My question should've been more clear, is there some sort of device that adjusts the shoulder strap to make it fit better?

And if someone is going to give a snarky answer, no surprise there this is CM afterall, I'm asking that you please don't answer at all. 

weirdkids
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

absolutely. its gonna have to be in a little while though. im on the way out the door. i have to bring my ss to his bms house for the day. but when i get back i would be more than happy. 

Quoting RobinBright:

I still have not seen a clip like that which passes crash testing. Could you link one?

Quoting weirdkids:

Quoting RobinBright:

They're cute, but they do not pass crash testing-- meaning they do not keep the belt in place during an accident, rendering them useless.

Quoting weirdkids:

Quoting MommyBoha:

put him back in a booster. Its VERY VERY dangerous to ride in a lap belt only

Quoting Anonymous:

My child just turned 8 and is 60 lbs and NY law says they no longer need to be in a car seat after that age/weight.  He was in a booster seat in the middle of the back seat from about age 5 on.  He now sits in the middle back seat, but with just the lap belt because the shoulder strap part goes across his lower face/neck area and he just can't wear it like that.  I HATE that he's only using the lap belt part and not the shoulder part, but it doesn't fit.  We've tried sitting him on the side, but same issue with the shoulder strap part of the seatbelt.  I'd prefer he was wearing the seatbelt properly (lap and shoulder both) but it just doesn't fit that way.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  How can I make the shoulder part fit?

you can get strap buddies at walmart for like $5 its this stuffed animal thing that the seat belt slides into so that it repositions the sholder strap across the chest

ya the first generation of them were recalled for that reason. they have since been redesigned. you can also get the cheap oldfationed clips. most carseats have a set attached to the back and if not they are only like 2 bucks but since they are metal they get hot in the summer

kitty8199
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM
The child has to be big enough for a backless booster for that to work. You can't stick a 5 year old (for example) in a backless booster. They aren't big enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

That is a high back booster. Backless boosters don't position the belt. They just raise the child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Clearly you don't know what a booster seat is. It's designed to position the belt properly. This goes for all booster seats. They're not made so your kid can see out the window.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

The booster seat I have is not a "belt positioning booster seat".  My question should've been more clear, is there some sort of device that adjusts the shoulder strap to make it fit better?

And if someone is going to give a snarky answer, no surprise there this is CM afterall, I'm asking that you please don't answer at all. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I don't know what a booster seat is??  OMFG.  Clearly you feel the need to analyze every single word in a reply yet miss the point.  This is internet, even better this is CM where it's quite common to use fewer words to describe something.  so I said booster seat, big fucking deal.  it's obvious I wasn't talking about a booster seat you might find in a restaurant for a kid to eat at the table.  The post is about CAR SEATS is it not?  So of course I mean CAR SEAT BOOSTER SEAT.  My fault for your ignorant reply, from now on I will not abbreviate.  Although you did end your response by saying put him back in his booster seat so idk... clearly you're not quite clear on the definiton of booster seat either.

Thanks ladies for the helpful replies.  And thanks smaartasses for the snarly relpies.  I got my laugh for the day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

RobinBright
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Thanks! Those clips are a great idea, I just haven't seen one that was approved yet. Have a good day : )

Quoting weirdkids:

absolutely. its gonna have to be in a little while though. im on the way out the door. i have to bring my ss to his bms house for the day. but when i get back i would be more than happy. 

Quoting RobinBright:

I still have not seen a clip like that which passes crash testing. Could you link one?

Quoting weirdkids:

Quoting RobinBright:

They're cute, but they do not pass crash testing-- meaning they do not keep the belt in place during an accident, rendering them useless.

Quoting weirdkids:

Quoting MommyBoha:

put him back in a booster. Its VERY VERY dangerous to ride in a lap belt only

Quoting Anonymous:

you can get strap buddies at walmart for like $5 its this stuffed animal thing that the seat belt slides into so that it repositions the sholder strap across the chest

ya the first generation of them were recalled for that reason. they have since been redesigned. you can also get the cheap oldfationed clips. most carseats have a set attached to the back and if not they are only like 2 bucks but since they are metal they get hot in the summer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I think your friend is right.  Here they are in them until 8, 4ft 9 or 85lbs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Oh, I know.

But her kid is 8 years old and 60 pounds using a lap belt.

He should at the very minimum be in a backless booster with a shoulder belt.

Quoting kitty8199:

The child has to be big enough for a backless booster for that to work. You can't stick a 5 year old (for example) in a backless booster. They aren't big enough.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

Tea4Tas
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I realeased my son to a booster on his 9th birthday. He was too tall in torso length for his car seat.

MommaNoonoo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM
In my state the law is a booster until 8 and 80 lbs. My dd is 5 and 42 lbs and is harnessed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM
My kids are harnessed as long as possible. My 4&6 years olds are both harnessed.

They also rear face to the max. My older two were almost 4 when I turned them around. My youngest is 21 months and still rear facing. She has a long way to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured