Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what causes you to get fat when you are eating healthy

I eat healthy and eat a lot of protiens and now I look 3 months pregnant. I hate cookies and very seldom make cakes cause I will eat it all by myself. I don't do brownies and such except very seldom. like yesterday I had a very huge salad and a very huge steak and some rolls. It was my sons bday I didn't eat any of the bday dessert brownie with ice cream on it. I don't remeber what I had for lunch but most of my meals are like this. nachos with meat, beans, cheese, rice, picante , avacado sour cream or burritoes. today I had 3 pieces of chicken and a huge stuffed baked potatoe. 2 bowls of bacon and ranch noodles with chicken in it and extra veggies. (this is not my usual snacks. they are usually healthier.  and a hamburger. I don't eat a lot so there is no reason for me to get fat. snacks are usually protien filled. most of the time snacks are like peanut butter sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, broccoli, radishes, fruit cocktail or fresh fruit. tomatoe slices and other stuff like that.so why am I getting fat. nothing has changed. the last week we have been eating out more than normal due to moving but that is the only thing that has changed. burritoes home made have been my snacks or the last couple of days.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
champagne_rose
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Eat a heavier breakfast and a lighter dinner

champagne_rose
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Cut back carbs

Eat more whole grain.

champagne_rose
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:37 AM

When you can, have a eating routine to stick to.

DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I suffered from an eating disorder due to lack of hormones. It can be very much a weird problem. For myself, I had lack of cortisol. It caused me to crave salt, sugar and fat because my body wasn't metabolising them. I was also extremely thirsty ALOT. There is more to weight gain and weight loss than just thyroid hormones. Cortisol and sexual hormones also play a part in competing for metabolism. 

Anywho OP. I don't believe your overall eating is that healthy, but are you aware and do you deliberately "not eat" for a few days and then over-indulge? Or do you lose your appetite, then get cravings or feel the need too eat at these times? Your answer will help you identify if there is some kind of medical reason behind the way you eat.

Quoting redredhead:

Well it sounds like you need to work on this eating disorder of yours. I can almost guarantee it's not your thyroid or any other weird problem. Please, get some help, this isn't normal. I really don't understand your denial here.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I have always gone through spurts where I eat a lot then I don't eat hardly for 4 days I get my heavy eating days about 3 days a months. it is very unusual for me to eat this much. I just assumed it was cause I was moving and needed more food.

Quoting redredhead:

No offense but having limited resources isn't an excuse to stuff your face. I mean, look at what you said you ate today. 3 pieces of chicken, giant potato, 2 bowls of pasta, and veggies. That's a lot of food, it would definitely have you bloated.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting redredhead:

That is a very unhealthy diet.

this is temp only because we are moving and limited resources to cook with. but a week like this shouldn't be making me fat. this is definately not my normal diet.

redredhead
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:39 AM

OP.... please get some help...

Sekirei
by LoKitty on May. 6, 2012 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

You can stay away from LARGE steaks. Stick with turkey or chicken then. Also, if you alternate between not eating a lot and then eating more than normal.. your body will freak out and think that "OMG, I got food again.. better keep it, just in case we starve again" You have to maintain your eating, day by day... 

Example only: A recovering anorexic has to watch what they eat and eat how the doc tells them, same amount of calories, starch, etc intake a day, because the body will simply store the fat, to save itself from starvation... 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I can't not eat meat. if I don't get a lot of protien I bottom out on energy. I eat a lot of beans and nuts. I normally eat very little starches.  the rolls were a one day thing and so was the baked potatoe. and I eat more brown rice than white. if I eat to many starches my energy level bottoms out. so like with the burritoes I so way more meat and beans than rice maybe a tea spoon of rice in my burritoes. that is the first time in about 3 months I ate rolls. that is the first time in about 8 months I ate a baked potatoe so no this is not my normal diet.

Quoting Sekirei:

meat is not all that great for you .. no matter how little you eat..

plus, if you don't follow the serving size of the other junk you eat..of course you are going to gain weight, no matter how 'little' you eat.

White rice, rolls and the like have starches.. which will also make you gain weight.

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on May. 6, 2012 at 2:39 AM
Very little about your diet is healthy. If you were eating healthy and gaining I would say maybe your thyroid was acting up.
redredhead
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I really think she needs to see a doctor.

Quoting DejaVooDoo:

I suffered from an eating disorder due to lack of hormones. It can be very much a weird problem. For myself, I had lack of cortisol. It caused me to crave salt, sugar and fat because my body wasn't metabolising them. I was also extremely thirsty ALOT. There is more to weight gain and weight loss than just thyroid hormones. Cortisol and sexual hormones also play a part in competing for metabolism. 

Anywho OP. I don't believe your overall eating is that healthy, but are you aware and do you deliberately "not eat" for a few days and then over-indulge? Or do you lose your appetite, then get cravings or feel the need too eat at these times? Your answer will help you identify if there is some kind of medical reason behind the way you eat.

Quoting redredhead:

Well it sounds like you need to work on this eating disorder of yours. I can almost guarantee it's not your thyroid or any other weird problem. Please, get some help, this isn't normal. I really don't understand your denial here.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I have always gone through spurts where I eat a lot then I don't eat hardly for 4 days I get my heavy eating days about 3 days a months. it is very unusual for me to eat this much. I just assumed it was cause I was moving and needed more food.

Quoting redredhead:

No offense but having limited resources isn't an excuse to stuff your face. I mean, look at what you said you ate today. 3 pieces of chicken, giant potato, 2 bowls of pasta, and veggies. That's a lot of food, it would definitely have you bloated.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting redredhead:

That is a very unhealthy diet.

this is temp only because we are moving and limited resources to cook with. but a week like this shouldn't be making me fat. this is definately not my normal diet.

MrsSexyCurtains
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM
We had steak with veggies tonight but I cut it up and ate enough to get right before full. That's not a diet you're on at all. That's all junk food and salads are not healthy if you add all the extras to it. You need to start portioning your food and start eating more fruits and veggies.

3 pieces of chicken, 2 bowls of noodles and a loaded potato is enough to make me barf. That's too much in one sitting. Wait you had a hamburger,2 huge bowls of noodles with bacon/extra veggies, 3 pieces of chicken and a huge loaded potato....and you can't see how that's making you gain weight?
2.b.con.10.Ud
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM
Your meals seem pretty big. Cut back on portion size.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)