Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what causes you to get fat when you are eating healthy

I eat healthy and eat a lot of protiens and now I look 3 months pregnant. I hate cookies and very seldom make cakes cause I will eat it all by myself. I don't do brownies and such except very seldom. like yesterday I had a very huge salad and a very huge steak and some rolls. It was my sons bday I didn't eat any of the bday dessert brownie with ice cream on it. I don't remeber what I had for lunch but most of my meals are like this. nachos with meat, beans, cheese, rice, picante , avacado sour cream or burritoes. today I had 3 pieces of chicken and a huge stuffed baked potatoe. 2 bowls of bacon and ranch noodles with chicken in it and extra veggies. (this is not my usual snacks. they are usually healthier.  and a hamburger. I don't eat a lot so there is no reason for me to get fat. snacks are usually protien filled. most of the time snacks are like peanut butter sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, broccoli, radishes, fruit cocktail or fresh fruit. tomatoe slices and other stuff like that.so why am I getting fat. nothing has changed. the last week we have been eating out more than normal due to moving but that is the only thing that has changed. burritoes home made have been my snacks or the last couple of days.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Quoting gemini53176:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

hmm if you are eating out alot it could be sodium start counting calories. eat like 1200 a day to lose weight

the eating out is only temp due to moving I maybe normally eat out once a month or so. sometimes not even that

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Quoting MrsSexyCurtains:

We had steak with veggies tonight but I cut it up and ate enough to get right before full. That's not a diet you're on at all. That's all junk food and salads are not healthy if you add all the extras to it. You need to start portioning your food and start eating more fruits and veggies.

3 pieces of chicken, 2 bowls of noodles and a loaded potato is enough to make me barf. That's too much in one sitting. Wait you had a hamburger,2 huge bowls of noodles with bacon/extra veggies, 3 pieces of chicken and a huge loaded potato....and you can't see how that's making you gain weight?

oh no that is all day not one meal

DejaVooDoo
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:47 AM

She does need to see a Doctor. I became so sick from it, than I can honestly say I nearly died from it. The pituitary gland, which is responsible for stimulating the adrenals, thyroid and sexual hormones is pretty much fucked in my head. I take hormone replacement for the adrenals (cortisol) and also thyroid. I'm not skinny, nor big. But I carry some extra weight now I never had before. I also don't crave foods anymore unless one of my hormones or off. If I crave sugar or salt especially, I know something is wrong.

OP, even if you have no appetite you need to eat on those days that you aren't hungry. You need to eat the same every day. Not alternate too much from an every day pattern. As someone else in the thread said, if there is too much deficit in those 4 days, and too much in other days your body doesn't know the difference. It still thinks it is starving. My body literally thought it was starving too. Because lack of cortisol and thyroid hormone made me lose my appetite, then all of a sudden I would get a "sugar and salt attack" and eat unhealthy. My body would then conserve fuel, and then keep repeating the same cycle... So what it would do is gain weight, then lose weight back down to what I was. With no chance of further weight loss success or even being able to put on weight.  

Quoting redredhead:

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I really think she needs to see a doctor.

Quoting DejaVooDoo:

I suffered from an eating disorder due to lack of hormones. It can be very much a weird problem. For myself, I had lack of cortisol. It caused me to crave salt, sugar and fat because my body wasn't metabolising them. I was also extremely thirsty ALOT. There is more to weight gain and weight loss than just thyroid hormones. Cortisol and sexual hormones also play a part in competing for metabolism. 

Anywho OP. I don't believe your overall eating is that healthy, but are you aware and do you deliberately "not eat" for a few days and then over-indulge? Or do you lose your appetite, then get cravings or feel the need too eat at these times? Your answer will help you identify if there is some kind of medical reason behind the way you eat.

Quoting redredhead:

Well it sounds like you need to work on this eating disorder of yours. I can almost guarantee it's not your thyroid or any other weird problem. Please, get some help, this isn't normal. I really don't understand your denial here.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I have always gone through spurts where I eat a lot then I don't eat hardly for 4 days I get my heavy eating days about 3 days a months. it is very unusual for me to eat this much. I just assumed it was cause I was moving and needed more food.

Quoting redredhead:

No offense but having limited resources isn't an excuse to stuff your face. I mean, look at what you said you ate today. 3 pieces of chicken, giant potato, 2 bowls of pasta, and veggies. That's a lot of food, it would definitely have you bloated.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting redredhead:

That is a very unhealthy diet.

this is temp only because we are moving and limited resources to cook with. but a week like this shouldn't be making me fat. this is definately not my normal diet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2012 at 2:49 AM
You arent eating healthy at all. Cut out the carbs and red meat and pork. Just do white meat, and fish and complex carbs nothing processed.
redredhead
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Maybe you should PM her or something. I think she is avoiding comments

Quoting DejaVooDoo:

She does need to see a Doctor. I became so sick from it, than I can honestly say I nearly died from it. The pituitary gland, which is responsible for stimulating the adrenals, thyroid and sexual hormones is pretty much fucked in my head. I take hormone replacement for the adrenals (cortisol) and also thyroid. I'm not skinny, nor big. But I carry some extra weight now I never had before. I also don't crave foods anymore unless one of my hormones or off. If I crave sugar or salt especially, I know something is wrong.

OP, even if you have no appetite you need to eat on those days that you aren't hungry. You need to eat the same every day. Not alternate too much from an every day pattern. As someone else in the thread said, if there is too much deficit in those 4 days, and too much in other days your body doesn't know the difference. It still thinks it is starving. My body literally thought it was starving too. Because lack of cortisol and thyroid hormone made me lose my appetite, then all of a sudden I would get a "sugar and salt attack" and eat unhealthy. My body would then conserve fuel, and then keep repeating the same cycle... So what it would do is gain weight, then lose weight back down to what I was. With no chance of further weight loss success or even being able to put on weight.  

Quoting redredhead:

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I really think she needs to see a doctor.

Quoting DejaVooDoo:

I suffered from an eating disorder due to lack of hormones. It can be very much a weird problem. For myself, I had lack of cortisol. It caused me to crave salt, sugar and fat because my body wasn't metabolising them. I was also extremely thirsty ALOT. There is more to weight gain and weight loss than just thyroid hormones. Cortisol and sexual hormones also play a part in competing for metabolism. 

Anywho OP. I don't believe your overall eating is that healthy, but are you aware and do you deliberately "not eat" for a few days and then over-indulge? Or do you lose your appetite, then get cravings or feel the need too eat at these times? Your answer will help you identify if there is some kind of medical reason behind the way you eat.

Quoting redredhead:

Well it sounds like you need to work on this eating disorder of yours. I can almost guarantee it's not your thyroid or any other weird problem. Please, get some help, this isn't normal. I really don't understand your denial here.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I have always gone through spurts where I eat a lot then I don't eat hardly for 4 days I get my heavy eating days about 3 days a months. it is very unusual for me to eat this much. I just assumed it was cause I was moving and needed more food.

Quoting redredhead:

No offense but having limited resources isn't an excuse to stuff your face. I mean, look at what you said you ate today. 3 pieces of chicken, giant potato, 2 bowls of pasta, and veggies. That's a lot of food, it would definitely have you bloated.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting redredhead:

this is temp only because we are moving and limited resources to cook with. but a week like this shouldn't be making me fat. this is definately not my normal diet.

MrsSexyCurtains
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Quoting opinionatedmom:

Oh ok lol I was like dang girl! That's a lot of food. I would eat grilled chicken instead of fried, no sodas or high sugar drinks, no breads if so rye bread and cut back on the sizes of your meals.
elleinady
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Seriously? You're eating way too much crap, and you DON'T eat healthy!

Peanut butter = full of fat

3 pieces of chicken = you're supposed to have one.

Noodles = full of carbs and starch (TWO bowls?).

Potatoes = full of carbs and starch

Cheese = full of fat and calories

Sour cream = full of fat and calories

You eat a TON, so yes there is a reason that you are getting heavy.

elleinady
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting redredhead:

Yes it should. I would gain 6 pounds if I ate like you for one week.

elleinady
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting redredhead:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting redredhead:

That's enough to feed a family of 3.

champagne_rose
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I will pm you again op:)

I have recently been super good due to having diabetes and needing to keep my weight in check at this point:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)