Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleepwalking

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My almost 8 year old has begun sleep walking. It is strange to watch him. He will often walk to the fridge, open the door, look in, and stand there. DH or I will gently turn him around, send him back toward his bedroom and he will go back to bed.

Last night he "woke up" crying. I ran to his room. He was just sitting in his bed. His body was very tense, he was squeezing his legs together, grabbing for me and pulling me towards him. His eyes were open but he wasn't awake.

WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2012 at 5:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:57 AM

leave him be. my ex husband used to do that when he was stressed. is he stressed about something?????

VioletSpirit
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:59 AM
I did the same thing as a kid. My parents told me that they just said go to bed and I would. I would just comfort him and tuck him back in. Just make sure the house is safe, prevent the outside door from opening or get it alarmed. I would bring it up at his next Dr visit, but it is pretty normal as long as it doesn't become dangerous it can become entertaining stories in the future to embarrass him. Lol. But don't wake him up at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM

No need to worry? 

VioletSpirit
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Normally, no. If you are though, bring it up with his doctor especially if it started out of the blue. Sleepwalking is normal though.

Quoting Anonymous:

No need to worry? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aspirel
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM

I believe sleepwalking is pretty common around that age. I wouldn't worry about it too much,just keep doing what you are doing.(Guiding him back into bed)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2012 at 6:32 AM

We didn't worry much until he woke up crying and shaking last night. Is that also common with sleep walking? It's been going on for a couple of months.

Quoting VioletSpirit:

Normally, no. If you are though, bring it up with his doctor especially if it started out of the blue. Sleepwalking is normal though.

Quoting Anonymous:

No need to worry? 

VioletSpirit
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:48 AM
If he was consolable, then I wouldn't worry too much. Crying, talking and walking in their sleep is perfectly normal behavior. It's possible he just had a nightmare and subconsciously wanted his parents. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

We didn't worry much until he woke up crying and shaking last night. Is that also common with sleep walking? It's been going on for a couple of months.

Quoting VioletSpirit:

Quoting Anonymous:

No need to worry? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I want to protect him from all the bad things. Like nightmares.

Quoting VioletSpirit:

If he was consolable, then I wouldn't worry too much. Crying, talking and walking in their sleep is perfectly normal behavior. It's possible he just had a nightmare and subconsciously wanted his parents. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VioletSpirit:

Quoting Anonymous:

No need to worry? 

VioletSpirit
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:59 AM
I don't think that is possible in reality. My dd has nightmares from time to time and I wish the same thing. All I can do is be there for her and let her know that she is safe.

Quoting Anonymous:

I want to protect him from all the bad things. Like nightmares.

Quoting VioletSpirit:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VioletSpirit:

Quoting Anonymous:

No need to worry? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taina361
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 7:02 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured