Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does your degree have your maiden name on it or your married name?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have been married for 6 years but I haven't changed my name due to complications in the states. I am going to go through an embassy and change my name. They said because my marriage certificate doesn't have an official stamp on it it won't be recognized. I got married in Denmark and they don't stamp the originals or any copys for that matter. So how does that work if you have your maiden name on your diploma but then change to your married name. Isn't that weird to have a diploma with your maiden name do you just get your diploma changed too? How does that work?What did you do?

by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM

maiden name is on my diploma/degree

RhondaVeggie
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM
I've never heard of anyone changing their diploma after marriage. Schools are really strict about that kind of thing. I got married the week before graduation and they insisted on putting my maiden name on. It still bugs me now, the one time that graduation actually involved walking across a stage in a gown and everything and they refused to use my proper name.
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on May. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM
They only put what official name you used at their school. When I finished my masters I was married and tried to put my madien and married named... Hyphenated and all..they didnt do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Maiden. We got married the fall after I graduated :) he wanted me to focus on school before super-planning our wedding
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Maiden. Doesn't bother me at all. I earned the degree when I had that name. Why on earth would I try to change that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarahv717
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Married....I was married 2 years before I graduated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Mommytron on May. 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Mine has my maiden name. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Not married, been together almost 7 years. But I would keep and want my maiden name on the diploma. I would think if it as that was my name when I got it, and that's the name that should be on there. Most likely my undergrads degrees and my graduate degrees will have different names.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)