Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Since I have been here I have noticed that people keep asking for cooking ideas, recipes and tips. 

I grew up in a home where if it didn't come from a can or a box my mom didn't know how to cook it.  I remember thinking hamburger helper and chicken helper were "good meals" and when those Homestyle Bakes came out I thought that was some top of the line food lol!.

When I finally left home I realized just how expensive that stuff is and also how boring.  I taught myself how to cook.  Yes, many of my first experiences with cooking was a disaster and there were times that ordering out was a necessity but as time passed I became better.  Practice makes perfect.

So for those ladies here who want recipes, tips and tricks I bring this post.  Please, post anything that comes to mind that has helped you make some great home made food!

Here are mine:

My spice rack is never without Salt, Pepper and Basil.  These 3 items are almost always in my recipes.  I am also never without fresh garlic, onions and bell peppers (not green but mainly red).  Some of the best quick skillet meals involve sauteeing/carmelizing the onions with some salt, pepper and basil in butter or olive oil.  It makes the onions sweet.  You can then place any kind of meat, whether it is chicken or beef like sirloin steak (usually not hamburger) on top and let it cook til done.  Add some starch and a veg and you have a tasy meal that takes about 30 minutes. 

Don't like bitter foods, like green beans?  Add parsley to sweeten them and white pepper instead of black.  Once again throw in some sweet carmalized onions and now your bitter green beans are some sweet and tasty green beans (this goes for many other bitter items as well).

When you cook meat let it set for 10-15 minutes after preparing it.  Letting your meat rest will help to bring out the juices and natural flavors and helps to make the meat more tender.

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluespagan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM

You're welcome.

I think lol...sorry I don't read sarcasm really well and so far I have received some snarky remarks due to either mistaken identity or some of the other posts I have made (well 2 actually but yeah lol).

Quoting sunfireprincess:

Thank you so much for this post!!

tth328
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM
My mom is an excellent cook! She makes everything from scratch and cooks literally 7 days a week. Me.. I suck lol but like you after I left home I learned. My cooking got pretty good after two years in the making. Kind of proud of myself sometimes haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I love using my Crockpot.  

sunfireprincess
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Not sarcastic :)

Quoting bluespagan:

You're welcome.

I think lol...sorry I don't read sarcasm really well and so far I have received some snarky remarks due to either mistaken identity or some of the other posts I have made (well 2 actually but yeah lol).

Quoting sunfireprincess:

Thank you so much for this post!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
I love to cook, some meals are a bust but we eat them anyway. Favorate disaster was beat rice, i overcooked the rice n under cooked the beats we couldnt tell the difference in them other than their texture, very bland side dish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegansmom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I can't cook well.  I can follow a recipe, but I can't just whip something up out of nothing.  My dad raised me & his idea of cooking was Shake & Bake or take out.

Dani_Lynn
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Recipes for Busy Moms is a great group, too. I've gotten a ton of great ideas there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirls10181
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM
My one thing i cant cook right 90% of the time is rice, but thankfully it is one oh hubbys best. I always over or under cook it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

One of my favorite disasters that we eat to this day...meat and potatoes.  I tried to cook meatballs but they kept falling apart so I finally said screw!  I crumbled the burger and instead of boiling the potatoes I sauteed them with onion.  I served it with a side of sweet corn.  So now when I don't know what to make that is a go to dish since it is really easy.

Quoting cowgirls10181:

I love to cook, some meals are a bust but we eat them anyway. Favorate disaster was beat rice, i overcooked the rice n under cooked the beats we couldnt tell the difference in them other than their texture, very bland side dish.

SuDeNym
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM

When I moved out, my parents gave two books - "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?" and "Where's Dad Now That I Need Him?".  Lot's of easy receipes for all meals, and was a good resource on how to clean and simple home repairs.

They still lived nearby and would come to help if I needed them, but they also knew that I liked to fix it myself first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN