Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Since I have been here I have noticed that people keep asking for cooking ideas, recipes and tips. 

I grew up in a home where if it didn't come from a can or a box my mom didn't know how to cook it.  I remember thinking hamburger helper and chicken helper were "good meals" and when those Homestyle Bakes came out I thought that was some top of the line food lol!.

When I finally left home I realized just how expensive that stuff is and also how boring.  I taught myself how to cook.  Yes, many of my first experiences with cooking was a disaster and there were times that ordering out was a necessity but as time passed I became better.  Practice makes perfect.

So for those ladies here who want recipes, tips and tricks I bring this post.  Please, post anything that comes to mind that has helped you make some great home made food!

Here are mine:

My spice rack is never without Salt, Pepper and Basil.  These 3 items are almost always in my recipes.  I am also never without fresh garlic, onions and bell peppers (not green but mainly red).  Some of the best quick skillet meals involve sauteeing/carmelizing the onions with some salt, pepper and basil in butter or olive oil.  It makes the onions sweet.  You can then place any kind of meat, whether it is chicken or beef like sirloin steak (usually not hamburger) on top and let it cook til done.  Add some starch and a veg and you have a tasy meal that takes about 30 minutes. 

Don't like bitter foods, like green beans?  Add parsley to sweeten them and white pepper instead of black.  Once again throw in some sweet carmalized onions and now your bitter green beans are some sweet and tasty green beans (this goes for many other bitter items as well).

When you cook meat let it set for 10-15 minutes after preparing it.  Letting your meat rest will help to bring out the juices and natural flavors and helps to make the meat more tender.

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
AdellesMom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Maybe so. But, she's too damn stubborn to listen to anyone. lol

Quoting bluespagan:

If she would slow down, pay attention to the food as it cooks and should probably turn the heat down I think she would surprise herself.

Quoting AdellesMom:

I did read the post. I'm just saying that everyone can't cook. I have an aunt that burns everything she makes; so her DH does all the cooking.

Calm down.

Quoting bluespagan:

Did you read the post at all or did you just see the title and then replied without actually reading what it is about?

I am giving tips and recipe ideas on how to cook for those who think they can't and am asking those who know how to cook to do the same.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Everyone can't cook. LOL I can cook, and so can DH. But, sometimes we get lazy. So, we do eat the occasional Hamburger Helper or Frozen Pizza when we don't feel like putting all the effort into a meal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM

That is just odd.  What do you mean by it tastes bad?

Quoting rinaann:

All of that My problem is that i am not consistent when it comes to cooking

most of the time everything just tastes bad and then one time i will get everything to taste good and then the next it will taste bad again. following the same directions the same way 

cooking just is something i am not good at, but i love to do it so it sucks lol 

Quoting bluespagan:

What issues do you run into when you cook?  Is the food bland, over cooked, undercooked? 

Quoting rinaann:

I suck at cooking

I try though but 95% of the time it doesnt taste good

bluespagan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM

LOL oh I know, I had a grandmother (my moms mom) who was like that.  She would go on and on about how she couldn't cook when in fact she just didn't care and knew someone else would do it for her.  I loved that woman though, she was something else lol but couldn't (well more like wouldn't) boil water to save her life.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Maybe so. But, she's too damn stubborn to listen to anyone. lol

Quoting bluespagan:

If she would slow down, pay attention to the food as it cooks and should probably turn the heat down I think she would surprise herself.

Quoting AdellesMom:

I did read the post. I'm just saying that everyone can't cook. I have an aunt that burns everything she makes; so her DH does all the cooking.

Calm down.

Quoting bluespagan:

Did you read the post at all or did you just see the title and then replied without actually reading what it is about?

I am giving tips and recipe ideas on how to cook for those who think they can't and am asking those who know how to cook to do the same.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Everyone can't cook. LOL I can cook, and so can DH. But, sometimes we get lazy. So, we do eat the occasional Hamburger Helper or Frozen Pizza when we don't feel like putting all the effort into a meal.

atyou
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
or...you can do what I did.....and marry a chef. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rinaann
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

it doesnt taste like what everyone else makes it

you can always tell when i make something vs my husband lol

when he cooks it is something you want to eat, when i cook its something you dont lol

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting rinaann:

most of the time everything just tastes bad and then one time i will get everything to taste good and then the next it will taste bad again. following the same directions the same way 

Quoting bluespagan:

What issues do you run into when you cook?  Is the food bland, over cooked, undercooked? 

Quoting rinaann:

I suck at cooking

GraceHudson
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM
I agree.

cmarie214
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM

ive always cooked... i remember being in 6th grade and learning to make homemade peanut butter cookies in home ec, i probably made those suckers everyday for a month at home! i love cooking!! it kills me when people say they cant cook! my sister says this all the time! i keep telling her if you can read, then you can cook! i think that new cooks should just start out following recipes until they start to learn more techniques and figure out their own style and tastes!

the one thing that i couldnt live without is olive oil! i use it a lot!! and i try to always keep panko bread crumbs on hand too! but i think the most important thing is TO TRY NEW THINGS! even things you dont think you would like.... just try it you might!

cmarie214
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM

my husband went to culinary arts school for a year before he dropped out... hes kind of a jack of all trades!!!! now im going to culinary arts school!

Quoting atyou:

or...you can do what I did.....and marry a chef. ;)

GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I love using the crock pot. You can do so much with it, with very little effort. Like last night I made BBQ beef in one and BBQ chicken in the other. Cooked both on low for about 10 hours and the meat just fell apart. It was yummy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM

well just so you know when DH cooks it tastes different from when I cook.  Nothing ever tastes the same as someone elses. 

What do you try to cook?  If you are just learning it is always best to start simple and work your way up lol.

Quoting rinaann:

it doesnt taste like what everyone else makes it

you can always tell when i make something vs my husband lol

when he cooks it is something you want to eat, when i cook its something you dont lol

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting rinaann:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting rinaann:

I suck at cooking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)