Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Husband and Wife - Doesn't Mean Much, These Days

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM
  • 242 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm just being honest here, and not trying to bash anyone!

I read the post about the Facebook Phenomenon- men and women calling each other husband and wife when they're NOT married.  It annoys her.  She's not married, herself, and it still bothers her.

A few other women commented that people that do that have no class, are being annoying, etc.

It doesn't bother me; despite what marriage is supposed to be- sacred, religious, a binding tie between two people in love for better or worse- to me, marriage has been made into a big joke.  Between the divorce rate and all of the people that do it in the spur of the moment without really being in love, I don't take marriage seriously, anymore.  There is annulment to void out marriages within 9 months.  There are marriages that do not make it past the honeymoon stage.  There are marriages that happen because of a pregnancy, where the couple isn't even truly "in love", only doing it for the sake of the child.  

I'm perfectly fine with people saying "husband and wife" when they're not.  In my eyes, their are MANY more couples that stay together longer and are more serious about being together that AREN'T married, than there are couples that ARE married.  My mom and step dad were together 18 years before my family convinced them to have a backyard wedding, and things were fine for those 18 years.

So, what's the big freakin deal, really?

by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

*shrug*

It doesn't bother me either.

raegansmom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM
35 moms liked this

Speak for yourself.  My marriage means a great deal to me & my DH.

neverbeamom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

That's great- I wasn't saying it doesn't mean anything to anyone.  I said it doesn't mean much to me.

Quoting raegansmom:

Speak for yourself.  My marriage means a great deal to me & my DH.

UnIdentiFiedOne
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM
13 moms liked this
I don't care. It doesn't "bother" me. I just don't get calling yourself something you are not.

I could say that I'm a contortionist super model with billions of dollars and three pet pigs. Doesn't make it true...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
neverbeamom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM

I don't think anyone saying "hubby and wifey" are meaning they are married- I think they're using cutesy things to call each other.  

I don't call SS my step son because he is- I call him that on HERE because it's just easier. 

If you were to ask these people, "Are you married?"  I'm sure they would say, "No, we're not."  So they're not telling some outrageous lie, like you stated.  :)

Quoting UnIdentiFiedOne:

I don't care. It doesn't "bother" me. I just don't get calling yourself something you are not.

I could say that I'm a contortionist super model with billions of dollars and three pet pigs. Doesn't make it true...

suzanneyea
3 moms liked this

marriage means a lot to a judge if your husband leaves you.

sunfireprincess
1 mom liked this
It does not bother me, none of my business anyway
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Because other people don't take marriage seriously, neither do you? That's sad.
redredhead
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM
6 moms liked this

I know what you're talking about.... I can't stand to see these young chicks on FB change their last name to their boyfriend's. Really immature.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM
6 moms liked this
My opinion? It's like calling yourself a doctor without going to school to be one. Yeah you read the books and know the information, but you didn't make the commitment to go. Getting married on paper makes it harder to walk away IMO. If you're not married and decide to call it quits there's no going to court to divide the assets. Now I'm not saying that it's wrong to be together forever not married, just don't use husband/wife.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)