Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are there any Baptist Christians here...I need to know somethings about your lifestyle

Posted by   + Show Post
1. What church do you attend?
2. How long have you been going to that church?
3. Who in your family picked that church?
4. How often do you have communion? Offering? And Baptisms?
5. Is your church one if those churches with a band and nobody ever sits down and they have the big screen tvs in almost every room so you can watch if you leave a room?

If I have more questions I will update thanks for replying

New question:
If you don't get communion every Sunday or whatever day it is you go why is that?

For those that answered about the communion tell me how do you feel about this verse Acts 20:7 and upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart until morrow; and continued his speech until midnight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
samara_love33
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM
I agree we are still linked and nobody is better than the other and I don't judge because of labels or anything I think it's the person and their actions. Also everyone has fallen short at one time or another and will all be judged one day I won't honestly say oo you are a bad person you are going to hell but playfully with my friends if they talked about a handicapped person I would say oo u not right you going to hell for that but that's as far as I take it. I would like to get to know you better and here more about what it is that you do different from me if you don't mind

Quoting Thelmama:

yes some churches do it that way.  I go to a pentecostal church.  That doesn't mean that is anything but a name or a way people worship.  I think whether you claim a denomination or not, if you are Christian you have a link with fellow believers.  I am just a Christian who loves the Lord.  I don't think one denomination has something over another.  I think we all have a bond through faith.  My husband is a licensed minister and in order to be licensed he had to have a denomination.  So we went to a school that was of our faith and he got a degree and then licensed in that denomination. BUT that doesn't mean anything really, except that he is licensed in that denomination.  As Christians, we have bonds with fellow Christians regardless of their label.

Quoting samara_love33:

I am the op and I am not baptist my friend is and we had a conversation and I never knew people only got communion and baptisms once a month so I made the post. But you said you are Pentecostal right so that gives you a denomination whereas I don't claim to be Pentecoastal, Baptist, Catholic, Episcoplian or any of that I am just plain non denominational Christian

Quoting Thelmama:

We view ourselves as just plain Christian as well, but society does label us LOL.  I meant as in the church you attend is a large amount of people so that you have to have more than one service.  If you really look at it, if your are Christian and believe in the Lord, we are all united in Him making us all His church.  I just meant that not all churches that have services get the honor of having more than 2 services a day.  I look forward to the day our local church we attend grows to the extent we can have more than one service. Wasn't trying to imply one church is better in any way, but that is our "label/denomination" as the OP is baptist.  I am not so I felt like I should be open as to what my label is, so to speak. But when you look at it, I wish more people could realize denomination, is man made. Belief in Him is not and He is what binds the Christian church together.

Quoting samara_love33:

We as the church view ourselves as just plain Christian there is no other title to it and they are everywhere. Every state and country has one so yes it is a big church

Quoting Thelmama:

You must go to a larger church.  Our church is small right now and growing slowly. May be that one day we can go to more than one service. Smaller churches genrally have one morning service and one evening service.  Not always, but that is the way ours works. Although, we are pentecostal and sometimes the morning service runs long if the Lord is moving mightily in a service. :o) 

Quoting samara_love33:

Oo I'm not baptist but we have 8, 10, and 4 or 6

Quoting Thelmama:

Not all churches have two services.  I know ours doesn't and they would be getting our around noon and then we go home, have lunch and such before relaxing in front of the computer or tv. Our services start at 10 and get out at noon.

Quoting samara_love33:

Makes sense it's noon here I thought most older people go to 8 or 10 service and would be home around this time

Quoting Anonymous:

They are in church that is why no responses. Different time zones and all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1. Berean bible baptist
2. Couple months
3. I found it online, husband decided we would keep going.
4. Havent yet so idk what they do or how often. Offering is part of the service each Sunday. Baptisms are as someone comes forward to be baptized (we have seen two people baptized there)
5. We sit lol no band just a piano. Sing hymns. No tvs, a projector with slides for the sermons/announcements.

Quoting samara_love33:

5. Is your church one if those churches with a band and nobody ever sits down and they have the big screen tvs in almost every room so you can watch if you leave a room?

New question:

If you don't get communion every Sunday or whatever day it is you go why is that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

that is fine.  Friend request me. I am pretty simple. Fun loving, people loving and pretty much think the best in people for the most part.  I love the Lord Jesus with all my heart and soul. He is the air I breathe and the foundation of our lives, marriage and home. I have had hard times and easy times, good and bad, but I still believe my Lord is there for me.  I have come through horrid things as a child, but I still love the Lord.  I try, although I fail, to do things the way Jesus would do it. Love people for who they are and not what they have done or not done. It isn't always easy but I try.

Quoting samara_love33:

I agree we are still linked and nobody is better than the other and I don't judge because of labels or anything I think it's the person and their actions. Also everyone has fallen short at one time or another and will all be judged one day I won't honestly say oo you are a bad person you are going to hell but playfully with my friends if they talked about a handicapped person I would say oo u not right you going to hell for that but that's as far as I take it. I would like to get to know you better and here more about what it is that you do different from me if you don't mind

Quoting Thelmama:

yes some churches do it that way.  I go to a pentecostal church.  That doesn't mean that is anything but a name or a way people worship.  I think whether you claim a denomination or not, if you are Christian you have a link with fellow believers.  I am just a Christian who loves the Lord.  I don't think one denomination has something over another.  I think we all have a bond through faith.  My husband is a licensed minister and in order to be licensed he had to have a denomination.  So we went to a school that was of our faith and he got a degree and then licensed in that denomination. BUT that doesn't mean anything really, except that he is licensed in that denomination.  As Christians, we have bonds with fellow Christians regardless of their label.

Quoting samara_love33:

I am the op and I am not baptist my friend is and we had a conversation and I never knew people only got communion and baptisms once a month so I made the post. But you said you are Pentecostal right so that gives you a denomination whereas I don't claim to be Pentecoastal, Baptist, Catholic, Episcoplian or any of that I am just plain non denominational Christian

Quoting Thelmama:

We view ourselves as just plain Christian as well, but society does label us LOL.  I meant as in the church you attend is a large amount of people so that you have to have more than one service.  If you really look at it, if your are Christian and believe in the Lord, we are all united in Him making us all His church.  I just meant that not all churches that have services get the honor of having more than 2 services a day.  I look forward to the day our local church we attend grows to the extent we can have more than one service. Wasn't trying to imply one church is better in any way, but that is our "label/denomination" as the OP is baptist.  I am not so I felt like I should be open as to what my label is, so to speak. But when you look at it, I wish more people could realize denomination, is man made. Belief in Him is not and He is what binds the Christian church together.

Quoting samara_love33:

We as the church view ourselves as just plain Christian there is no other title to it and they are everywhere. Every state and country has one so yes it is a big church

Quoting Thelmama:

You must go to a larger church.  Our church is small right now and growing slowly. May be that one day we can go to more than one service. Smaller churches genrally have one morning service and one evening service.  Not always, but that is the way ours works. Although, we are pentecostal and sometimes the morning service runs long if the Lord is moving mightily in a service. :o) 

Quoting samara_love33:

Oo I'm not baptist but we have 8, 10, and 4 or 6

Quoting Thelmama:

Not all churches have two services.  I know ours doesn't and they would be getting our around noon and then we go home, have lunch and such before relaxing in front of the computer or tv. Our services start at 10 and get out at noon.

Quoting samara_love33:

Makes sense it's noon here I thought most older people go to 8 or 10 service and would be home around this time

Quoting Anonymous:

They are in church that is why no responses. Different time zones and all.

samara_love33
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM
That made a lot of sense idk if what I said was fully accurate as I said idk everything but I do believe talking and asking to be forgiven is very important. I got baptized young for the wrong reasons and didn't realize how much sin was truly out there or that I would even partake I told my DH before we was married after we get married and I feel I am free from sin and ik more of the bible and what I'm supposed to do than I want to repent and be baptized again for the right reasons. I didn't think it would be fair to go to church and repent and go back home and be shacking up with my husband so now that we are married and aren't doing the bad things we did once I know more I will get baptized but I do plan to repent today at service

Quoting Thelmama:

We believe it is reprensenative of that, yes. But don't think we have to do it every week in order to remember that.  I talk to Him daily about everything, like He is my best friend, because He is.  I invite Him to be a part of my every day life in words and actions. I think your way is cool too.  Whether I take communion or not on a given Sunday, if I sin, I am guilty of my actions.  IF I do something I know I should not do, I repent.  That does not give me license to sin. But I strive to do right through praying and reading my Bible daily.  Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, but He is faithful and just to forgive us. However, we must strive to walk in His way.  Hope that made sense.

Quoting samara_love33:

Do you believe in your church the drink is for his blood to be within you and the bread is his body to be within you. What I think is we take it every week so that every week we say we still want Jesus Christ to be apart of us and to help us not sin when you take communion and do wrong you are guilty of your actions I am still learning a lot but that's what I think

Quoting Thelmama:

We don't do it every Sunday is all.  Many churches do it only once or twice a month. Communion for us is a rememberance of what He did for us.  It is very special to us and there have been times we did it more frequently.  Whether we do it or not we never lose sight of what He did for us and what it represents to us.

Quoting samara_love33:

Why does your church only do communion once or twice a month?

Quoting Thelmama:

Oh and at our church we take up tithes and offereings every service. Communion we have once a month at least, sometimes twice if the pastor feels it is relevant to the service he preached. And we have baptisms once a month.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samara_love33
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Why do you feel it is being played with if you do it weekly?

Quoting ProudMommy_1034:

Oh , because its not something to be played with or taken lightly .

Quoting samara_love33:

Question 6 was supposed to be interpreted as why does your church only do communion once a month instead of weekly

Quoting ProudMommy_1034:

1. Salem missionary Baptist Church

2. 11 years

3. Mom '& cousin

4. Communion every 3rd sunday '& Baptism every 1st sunday .

5. We do sit down , we do have a band , '& we do have t.v.s in every room.

6. If i dont get it , its because i wasnt there .

Quoting samara_love33:

New question:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

bump for later

samara_love33
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM
If I put up the exact book and everything that says what I just said would you believe me or question it?

Quoting Thelmama:

No offense, but I disagree with your parents in a way.  The way we believe is that thare IS only one way to the Father and that is throught the Son.  Denomination is a label and usually holds what that church believes.  But that being said Jesus doesn't care what denomination you are, but He does care that you believe in Him and serve Him.  The thing that unites Christians is Jesus, not the label of denomination. I understand you were taught that , but I don't think they are fake per se.  Yes, we are to spread His word and His love.  I do believe that the Christian church is those who believe in Jesus as Savior.  Denomination to me is not as important to me as it is whether or not you believe in Him, serve Him and do what He has called us to do.

Quoting samara_love33:

You are making sense and it's ok I just am an open minded person to what everyone believes.

I also told my friend CP since he didn't know it started as him being a child and his mom and dad made him go to that church every Sunday so because they said so that is why he did it so we won't be disobedient and he never really knew if that church he goes to is even right or why they do things he is several years older than me and never even thought of it that way. Ik the church I go to my parents has said that is the only church in the bible and it's right and they showed me proof and even showed me you don't take up a denomination because those are fake. I don't knock people who have those denominations or believe different from me I just know I was taught from my baby years that there is only one church and no I'm not one of those Christians who try to put my beliefs or convert people but ik the bible says go out and spread the word so even though idk everything I try to get other peoples opinions and beliefs and than give them things to think about

Quoting Thelmama:

Oh and OP, no offense meant by assuming you were baptist. I got a little mixed up, LOL.  I think it doesn't matter how often or when and how communion is done as long as the person doing it , is doing so with the right heart attitude.  I hope that made sense.  Been sick all weekend and am dizzy headed so not sure I am making sense.  LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bgbd
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I was raised Baptist as a child, but have found it too dry for my taste

Where I go now:
1. Hope Christian Community, a non denominational, super phenominal mini-mega church
2. Since 2009
3. I did
4a. First Sunday of each month. We had communion today. That's one of the only things I dislike about Hope- the way they do communion. Each person just takes it when they get the elements, there is no prayer.
4b. We do not have traditional offering- there are boxes outside the doors to put offering in. Today we did take up a special offering for Watoto church in Uganda, but again, there are buckets outside of the doors you can drop money in
4c. Several times a year, we have one coming up. My 6yr old ds will be baptized
5a. Yes, there are monitors and screens everywhere
5b. No, we sit for the sermon

Ive been in churches that have communion every week. I think that's a bit excessive. Once a month seems good IMO, I just don't like *how* Hope does it, not the frequency
samara_love33
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM
I too go to Church of Christ ik Some people will put in for two weeks and do it the way you mentioned. Why did it lose meaning to you?

Quoting ..guesswho..:

I have never really thought about it. I think if you take communion every Sunday it becomes mundane and loses some meaning. For me it did anyway. When I attended the church of Christ with my mom and sd we took every Sunday. It wasn't special to me after doing it every week. You also don't have to give offering every Sunday. Some people give their tithe once a month, some once every two weeks, some every Sunday. It isn't mandatory to give offering every single Sunday.

Quoting samara_love33:

Do you know the reasoning of why you get communion only 4 times a year but you can give offering every Sunday?

I was talking to my friend CP and he is baptist but he says communion and baptisms are only 1st Sunday of every month I said why do you only get communion and get to be baptized only 12 days out the year but have to give offering every time he didn't know the answer just said that is what his church does. I said that doesn't sound weird you can pay every week but you can't have communion with the lord every week and you can only get baptized on the first Sunday of the month why can't you choose when you want to do it he had no answers for me

Quoting ..guesswho..:

1. What church do you attend? A baptist church

2. How long have you been going to that church? All my life. We don't go regular anymore though. That is something we are working on.

3. Who in your family picked that church? My husband.

4. How often do you have communion? Offering? And Baptisms? Communion four times a year. Offering every Sunday. A baptism whenever someone gets saved.

No. We have a piano and organ and use song books. No TV's in other rooms but there is a speaker in the nursery so we can hear the sermon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samara_love33
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM
There are people out there that don't even call theirselves Christians, Baptists, or even Catholics they say no I'm ______ and will sit there and try to argue you down that they are just that and not Christian and is just very close minded.

Quoting Anonymous:

Denominations don't mean a thing. It's all about the Bible and any denomination that goes against the Bible is wrong. The problem is getting caught up into Denominations.God isn't concerned with that. He wants your sincere worship.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN