Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4 year olds and ear cleaning

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

you're supposed to clean their ears out at least a few times a week right? with q tips? what if they get ear infections? help.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bmack2107
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Technically you are not supposed to use q tips... Idk about toddlers and how often you are supposed to do it... but I have always gotten my ears professionally cleaned... I use Q tips for DS's ears, but not inside the ear canal, just the outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM

it just makes no sense. he had pneumonia and ended up in ER and they couldn't see ANYTHING in his ears, so they had to suck out the earwax. his mom said the strings were over 4 inches long.

Quoting bmack2107:

Technically you are not supposed to use q tips... Idk about toddlers and how often you are supposed to do it... but I have always gotten my ears professionally cleaned... I use Q tips for DS's ears, but not inside the ear canal, just the outside.

popomill
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

My son's ENT (ear nose and throat doctor) told me to not put q-tips in his ears when cleaning them, it can actually push ear wax BACK into his ears compacting and holding fluid in his ears that can lead to ear infections. Most of the time you get an ear infection you have fluid built up behind your ear drum that needs to drain that can't. I now just clean the out side of his ear and right around his ear hole because he has tubes and his ears drain all the time. If you wanna ask me a question go ahead, I've had seriously probably close to 100 ear infections (A constant ear infection from about age 2 to 7), had tubes put in twice and my son has had the same problem, except he got 4 ear infections before I took him to the ENT.

Good luck, and if you think your kid has an ear infection take him/her to the doctor or ER ASAP because they don't always go away on their own and with a little one I would never wait it out unless he wasn't complaining about it.

eyedoleyes
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Usin q tips inside the aer for anyone actually is no good. It can actually cause wax to be pushed in the ear and glob up.

Safe ear cleaning is possible thou. Take some mineral oil in an eye dropper bottle and rub it in your hands to warm it. Drop a bit in the ear and then turn to the side to let it drain. Then use a qtip to clean the outside. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM

He may produce more ear wax. My DH has that issue. You should never, ever stick q-tips in your ear. Ever. You could damage it. Ear wax is actually needed, but sometimes it can impact.

Quoting Anonymous:

it just makes no sense. he had pneumonia and ended up in ER and they couldn't see ANYTHING in his ears, so they had to suck out the earwax. his mom said the strings were over 4 inches long.

Quoting bmack2107:

adorablenessx
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

all though it may be hard on a 4 year old but try ear candling if you can. it draws out excess ear wax and takes about 15 mins per ear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN