Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son just asked me if he could...

Posted by   + Show Post

wear tights underneath his jeans all of the time because he likes the way they feel.

Should I be concerned?

Will it be okay for him to wear them under his shorts too when the weather gets warm? 

by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Replies (231-240):
DaiTilley
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this
But by saying that there's no reason anyone should see it as in any way inappropriate, you're acknowledging that your question in the OP was one you'd already devised your answer to, so it WAS a pointed question meant to stir drama, no?
And although I agree with you, and think it's totally harmless for you to let your boy wear tights and have silly pictures & videos of him, you know others don't feel the same way, and some people (especially kids) can be pretty cruel. I already have a stash of pictures that I find silly and plan to pull out when hje brings a girl home to meet me and Daddy, but I wouldn't post them on the internet.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

That is just the part that I found most amusing. 

Have you ever watched America's Funniest Home Videos? There are kids on there doing crazy, quirky things.  It is only CM that those crazy, quirky things that kids do become some major issue.  

Again, him wearing tights is totally harmless and a normal person out in the real world would never see it as a big deal.  I could show it to my friends and coworkers and they would just laugh and think, "That crazy kid!"  

Quoting areles:

i feel like you intentionally missed my point.  and that job/college thing was only one minor aspect in a stream of much bigger points.

look, i'm not here to argue with you or to try to beat my perspective into your head.  i like you, and i think you're sharp as a tack.  and it's obvious that you're doing a great job raising confident, well-adjusted kids.  i give you props for that, and i raised my son the same way.  and i'm glad that your kids are so confident, and that they are surrounded by peers who appreciate their uniqueness.  all that is awesome.  i'm down with it.

but my point was:

not everyone views this the way your circle views it.  because of that, you ARE putting your kid at risk.  you just ARE.  it may not ever bear out, and i hope it doesn't.  but you cannot control who sees that video, or how it's presented elsewhere should anyone link out to or distribute it.  you can't control if kids in your local junior highs or high schools get ahold of it, how they'll react to it, and whether or not it's something that could precede him into his teen years.  and no, you don't know how it's gonna be viewed by a prospective college or employer. chances are, it will be seen as something cute and silly. 

but you don't KNOW, and THAT was my point.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

So, you subscribe to the "he won't be able to get a job or get into college because he wore pink tights at 9" club?  Funny.

Quoting Anonymous:

The fact that she can't see the reasoning behind this is beyond me.  Fantastic point, and well written. 

Quoting areles:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM

The moms of these boys should have CPS called on them then. They are not only wearing tights, but doing so in front of their peers and a large audience AND it is on youtube....(along with hundreds of other videos of boys wearing tights).  Oh, how horrible...oh wait, it isn't. The normal world finds it funny when boys wear tights and it is no big deal at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're right.  You are missing the point.  I don't think he will be denied a job or an education due to this video, although who knows what you'll post in the future and how it will affect him professionally or emotionally.  I think the video is fun to have .... FOR YOUR FAMILY, and he will prob get a kick out of it in the 'oh Mom, I can't believe you filmed that' kind of way.  What I find inappropriate is you POSTING the video (not the video in itself). 

Also, your post was obvi to stir the pot.  Obnoxious. 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Well, keep feeling that way because there is absolutely nothing inappropriate about the video. 

I highly doubt a potential employer a decade from now will ask him in his interview questions about the time he wore pink tights when he was 9, but like I said, if it does happen, I will let areles know.

Btw, 99% of my posts are lighthearted and quirky. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Re-read the reply - it does not say that he will be denied acceptance in to college or that he will be turned down for a job.  The poster was simply stating that there is a possibility that this could come up when your son is being researched (which more and more companies and colleges are doing). Think of all the 'harmless' things that haunt political figures and celebrities.  The Internet is forever.  

I generally don't like your posts so I don't normally click on them.  This one however seemed light-hearted and quirky ... until you posted the video.  I think it is INAPROPRIATE. 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

So, you subscribe to the "he won't be able to get a job or get into college because he wore pink tights at 9" club?  Funny.

Quoting Anonymous:

The fact that she can't see the reasoning behind this is beyond me.  Fantastic point, and well written. 

Quoting areles:

Achromia
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Fail! This would be easier to comprehend if they made sense. You dont even have a clue do ya? You just wanted to put your input in there and without even knowing the conversation. Lol
There was no" line" and she failed to explain. The only reply she could give was she didnt quote me but the comment was about me so that was irrelevant.

Quoting kattu:

Maybe you shouls get a grasp on reading comprehension before you comment on someone else's.

Quoting Achromia:

um, ok. you are making a lot of sense.

And moving on..........

Quoting .shank.:

Lol its a good thing I didn't quote you then.

Quoting Achromia:

I have no idea what line you are talking about

Quoting .shank.:

Lmfao. That line is fucking epic.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

You mean the part about her crying because she got dry humped?

Quoting Anonymous:

what's comprable is that you have posted info about your children up here that should be private. and no, not just him cheating on her, the relationship in general. you even made a post regretting doing so.

Quoting Achromia:

Um, about her bf cheating on her? Yes. Whats your point? The comment i quoted was talking about posting private videos and pictures. I dont see where my post about my dd having problems with her bf is comparable.

Quoting Anonymous:

arent you the one who kept going on and on about YOUR daughter's love life on cm? you have no place to talk.

Quoting Achromia:

This is the most mature and intelligent reply i have seen in this post yet.

Quoting areles:

okay, yeah, i gotta weigh in on this video thing.  bear in mind that i'm writing this from the perspective of someone who enjoys your commentary here.

i'm unmoved by the fact that your son likes being silly and getting attention and answered your leading questions in the affirmative, that he doesn't mind you taking and posting these videos.  he's 9.  of course he likes attention and doesn't mind you posting this video on youtube and linking to it on cafemom - he's too young to understand the potential consequences.  your job as a parent is to understand those potential consequences and shield him from them.

the internet is forever.  fast forward to when he's applying for colleges or jobs and his name is googled. or, fast forward to the day one of his schoolmates finds it.

and bear in mind that you can take it down, sure, and maybe that video is not currently linked to his name.  but i can easily download that video via realplayer in less than three minutes and redistribute as i wish, and there would be absolutely nothing you can do about it.

they call it viral for a reason.

i'm not saying the pink tights thing is wrong.  i don't give a shit about your son prancing around in pink tights.  i don't even care about you taking a video and uploading it privately for your friends and family to see.

what i have a serious problem with - enough to say this without hiding behind the button - is that you are setting your son up to be tortured.  put that video in the hands of the average 12-year-old boy in your neighborhood and suddenly shit is gonna get REAL serious for your kid, REAL quick.  

or maybe not.  but it's a chance i would NEVER take, least of all to get the attention of a bunch of strangers on fucking cafemom.

you may have an open mind, and a lot of the ladies here might as well, but not everyone views things the way you do. 

so, i'm with the anons here, i'm sorry.  pink tights - fine.  putting this video in the public domain - really, definitely not fine. 

and again - that your son is cool with it is meaningless to me.  he's a little boy.  he doesn't know.  as you said yourself he has no sexuality yet, doesn't think in terms of gay or straight or fag or freak.  so he could not POSSIBLY anticipate the fallout from this, whether a month or a year or six years from now.  but you should be able to.

again.  i like you.  but this, i don't like.

and i'm really glad i missed the penis lollipop.  :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tifferie
by A$$tastic on May. 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Good lord. My son was wearing a dress saying he was a wizard for a whole damn week. I took pictures and everything. This same boy picked up a girlfriend at a birthday party. If he likes the support, go with it. Geez everyones acting like he asked to wear her skin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Actually, she was talking to me and the comment she made obviously went right over your heard.  It makes perfect sense, but you failed (and are still failing) to comprehend it.

Quoting Achromia:

Fail! This would be easier to comprehend if they made sense. You dont even have a clue do ya? You just wanted to put your input in there and without even knowing the conversation. Lol
There was no" line" and she failed to explain. The only reply she could give was she didnt quote me but the comment was about me so that was irrelevant.

Quoting kattu:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Those are most definitely not the same kind of tights your son is wearing - the tights he has on should be worn UNDER something ... like a dress or costume or shorts?  The top part is not designed to be exposed.  ALSO, I never said anything about CPS.  WTH?  Just said you might want to find the line between a fun video to show family, friends or co-workers and a video to post online for complete strangers.  Again I find that this whole post was simply to stir up some drama.  You're clearly smart enough to comprehend what is being written, however you have an agenda and are inserting what you assume people's reactions would be in between the lines.  You're exhausting.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

The moms of these boys should have CPS called on them then. They are not only wearing tights, but doing so in front of their peers and a large audience AND it is on youtube....(along with hundreds of other videos of boys wearing tights).  Oh, how horrible...oh wait, it isn't. The normal world finds it funny when boys wear tights and it is no big deal at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're right.  You are missing the point.  I don't think he will be denied a job or an education due to this video, although who knows what you'll post in the future and how it will affect him professionally or emotionally.  I think the video is fun to have .... FOR YOUR FAMILY, and he will prob get a kick out of it in the 'oh Mom, I can't believe you filmed that' kind of way.  What I find inappropriate is you POSTING the video (not the video in itself). 

Also, your post was obvi to stir the pot.  Obnoxious. 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Well, keep feeling that way because there is absolutely nothing inappropriate about the video. 

I highly doubt a potential employer a decade from now will ask him in his interview questions about the time he wore pink tights when he was 9, but like I said, if it does happen, I will let areles know.

Btw, 99% of my posts are lighthearted and quirky. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Re-read the reply - it does not say that he will be denied acceptance in to college or that he will be turned down for a job.  The poster was simply stating that there is a possibility that this could come up when your son is being researched (which more and more companies and colleges are doing). Think of all the 'harmless' things that haunt political figures and celebrities.  The Internet is forever.  

I generally don't like your posts so I don't normally click on them.  This one however seemed light-hearted and quirky ... until you posted the video.  I think it is INAPROPRIATE. 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting areles:

kattu
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:27 AM
You're an idiot. I'm going to go ahead and explain this for you. She quoted Trouser, not you. She was referring to what T said, which is called "a line" in this case. She said it was hilarious, because it fucking was. Once again, you're an idiot.

Quoting Achromia:

Quoting kattu:

Maybe you shouls get a grasp on reading comprehension before you comment on someone else's.

Quoting Achromia:

um, ok. you are making a lot of sense.

And moving on..........

Quoting .shank.:

Lol its a good thing I didn't quote you then.

Quoting Achromia:

I have no idea what line you are talking about

Quoting .shank.:

Lmfao. That line is fucking epic.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

You mean the part about her crying because she got dry humped?

Quoting Anonymous:

what's comprable is that you have posted info about your children up here that should be private. and no, not just him cheating on her, the relationship in general. you even made a post regretting doing so.

Quoting Achromia:

Um, about her bf cheating on her? Yes. Whats your point? The comment i quoted was talking about posting private videos and pictures. I dont see where my post about my dd having problems with her bf is comparable.

Quoting Anonymous:

arent you the one who kept going on and on about YOUR daughter's love life on cm? you have no place to talk.

Quoting Achromia:

This is the most mature and intelligent reply i have seen in this post yet.

Quoting areles:

okay, yeah, i gotta weigh in on this video thing.  bear in mind that i'm writing this from the perspective of someone who enjoys your commentary here.

i'm unmoved by the fact that your son likes being silly and getting attention and answered your leading questions in the affirmative, that he doesn't mind you taking and posting these videos.  he's 9.  of course he likes attention and doesn't mind you posting this video on youtube and linking to it on cafemom - he's too young to understand the potential consequences.  your job as a parent is to understand those potential consequences and shield him from them.

the internet is forever.  fast forward to when he's applying for colleges or jobs and his name is googled. or, fast forward to the day one of his schoolmates finds it.

and bear in mind that you can take it down, sure, and maybe that video is not currently linked to his name.  but i can easily download that video via realplayer in less than three minutes and redistribute as i wish, and there would be absolutely nothing you can do about it.

they call it viral for a reason.

i'm not saying the pink tights thing is wrong.  i don't give a shit about your son prancing around in pink tights.  i don't even care about you taking a video and uploading it privately for your friends and family to see.

what i have a serious problem with - enough to say this without hiding behind the button - is that you are setting your son up to be tortured.  put that video in the hands of the average 12-year-old boy in your neighborhood and suddenly shit is gonna get REAL serious for your kid, REAL quick.  

or maybe not.  but it's a chance i would NEVER take, least of all to get the attention of a bunch of strangers on fucking cafemom.

you may have an open mind, and a lot of the ladies here might as well, but not everyone views things the way you do. 

so, i'm with the anons here, i'm sorry.  pink tights - fine.  putting this video in the public domain - really, definitely not fine. 

and again - that your son is cool with it is meaningless to me.  he's a little boy.  he doesn't know.  as you said yourself he has no sexuality yet, doesn't think in terms of gay or straight or fag or freak.  so he could not POSSIBLY anticipate the fallout from this, whether a month or a year or six years from now.  but you should be able to.

again.  i like you.  but this, i don't like.

and i'm really glad i missed the penis lollipop.  :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

It doesn't really matter that they are a different kind.  He isn't exposing any more than they are. He is wearing boxers underneath.  You can't see any of his body parts.  Again, you are making way more out of it than it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Those are most definitely not the same kind of tights your son is wearing - the tights he has on should be worn UNDER something ... like a dress or costume or shorts?  The top part is not designed to be exposed.  ALSO, I never said anything about CPS.  WTH?  Just said you might want to find the line between a fun video to show family, friends or co-workers and a video to post online for complete strangers.  Again I find that this whole post was simply to stir up some drama.  You're clearly smart enough to comprehend what is being written, however you have an agenda and are inserting what you assume people's reactions would be in between the lines.  You're exhausting.

Quoting TrouserMouse:
Achromia
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM
I know she was talking to you. She quoted you didnt she. There was no line and she never answered what she was talking about because it didnt exist. You twisted a conversation and she said she loved that line. Lol
Yes, I fail...i fail to see where any of you even know what your talking about. You can only think of bits and pieces so you fill in the rest.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Actually, she was talking to me and the comment she made obviously went right over your heard.  It makes perfect sense, but you failed (and are still failing) to comprehend it.

Quoting Achromia:

Quoting kattu:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM

So a women wearing underwear and a bra to the beach or public pool is the same as wearing a bathing suit?  They are made differently for a reason.  Exxxaaauuusssting.  

Quoting TrouserMouse:

It doesn't really matter that they are a different kind.  He isn't exposing any more than they are. He is wearing boxers underneath.  You can't see any of his body parts.  Again, you are making way more out of it than it is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)