Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Weddings and such...

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM
  • 7 Replies

Here are a few traditions from different cultures that I found interesting.  What was your wedding like? Did you perform anything that is traditional to your culture?

Blanket Ceremony

The Blanket Ceremony is one of the oldest and most endearing wedding traditions among some Native American tribes. This ritual entails using two blue blankets to represent the couple’s past lives. The couple are wrapped in blue blankets and led to a sacred circle of fire. The officiant or spiritual leader blesses the union and the couple shed the blue blankets and enveloped by relatives in a single white blanket which represents their new life. Under the white blanket, it’s customary that the couples embrace and kiss. The white blanket is usually kept and displayed in the couple’s home.

Kola Nuts

The Kola nut is most often used for medicinal purposes in Africa. It is also essential in most African weddings. The Kola nut symbolizes the couple's willingness to always help heal each other. In Nigeria, the ceremony is not complete until a kola nut is shared between the couple and their parents. Many African-American couples incorporate the sharing of a kola nut into their ceremonies, and then keep the nut in their home afterwards as a reminder to always work at healing any problems they encounter.

Greek Ceremony

The Greek Orthodox wedding ceremony consists of two parts, the Service of Betrothal, and the Sacrament of Marriage. The Service of Betrothal includes the exchanging of rings which have been blessed by the priest. It is Greek tradition that the bride and groom are honored as queen and king for the day. During the Sacrament of Marriage, the couple receives lighted candles to hold throughout the service. The Koumbaros bestows the couple with crowns called stefana while the couple holds hands. This is followed by religious readings and the consumption of wine. The couple is then walked around an altar three times to represent their everlasting journey. The stefana is then removed and the couple declared married.

Irish Ceremony

The Republic of Ireland is predominantly Catholic and the wedding ceremony reflects this tradition. English Lavender is often included in an Irish bride’s bouquet, not only for it’s lovely scent but also because it is said to bring luck to the bride. Many Irish brides will carry a lucky horseshoe down the aisle. The horseshoe can be made of any material; though porcelain is the most popular. Tie the horseshoe around your bouquet with a pretty ribbon. After the wedding, the horseshoe is typically hung with the ends pointed up over the newlyweds’ front door for good luck.

Italian Ceremony

There are several charming Italian traditions to incorporate in your wedding ceremony. Roman Catholicism is Italy's primary religion. So a traditional Italian wedding ceremony typically consists of a full Catholic mass. In Italy, June is the favored month and Sunday is the favorite day for weddings. The Italian wedding tradition of tying ribbons to the chapel entrance, symbolizes a new wedding bond. The ribbons signify the tying together of two lives. The ever popular dove release is a relatively new tradition. It symbolizes the love and affection the newlyweds have for each other.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We did the Italian Ceremony - full mass, month of June, but we did ours on a Saturday... no Doves, but ribbons.  

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

We did the traditional unity candle, and we also had a moment of silence for our deceased grandparents, lighting a candle by a table with their pictures. Oh, and we all stood facing the guests as opposed to the bridal party and couple having their backs towards the guests. Our processional was with bubbles. My music was all non traditional. I walked down the aisle to the pretty Shrek theme music.

SadiasMomma
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM
i had an Islamic ceremony on my living room floor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:19 PM

What was it like? Music, decorations...etc...

Quoting SadiasMomma:

WesternNYmom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubby and I had a simple non denominational ceremony.  We recited traditional vows, and exchanged rings.  Instead of a unity candle, we did what was called a rose ceremony.  Our officiant read a poem, and dh and I each handed eachother a single red rose that symbolized our commitment to each other.  We then handed the roses off to eachothers moms as a way of symbolizing that we are now family. It was a hit with our families.

Our reception was held in the main ballroom of the hotel where the cermony took place. We had a cocktail hour in between the ceremony and reception. While the guest were enjoying drinks and appetizers dh and our wedding party stayed outside to pose for pictures at the ceremony site.  After that we gathered our extended families together for family portraites.  We chose a traditional sit down dinner, as noone in our families are big fans of buffets.  After dinner and cake, we danced the night away.  Everyone had a blast. 

SadiasMomma
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM
no decorations just a white sheet on the floor. the music was Pakistani and it was loud and everyone was dancing lol

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting SadiasMomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Sounds like a good time!

Quoting SadiasMomma:

no decorations just a white sheet on the floor. the music was Pakistani and it was loud and everyone was dancing lol

Quoting HelloKitty86:

Quoting SadiasMomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)