Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You don't have to cook to be a great wife & mom. :) *Long*

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think a wife/mom that doesn't cook is a bad one?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 61

View Results

I don't normally cook. My husband does. I don't like it. It's gross, messy, you can get burned & I don't have the patience for it. I'm still a wonderful wife & mom for many other reasons.

I wake my husband every morning at 4am & bring him coffee to bed. When he opens his eyes the tv is already turned to the NFL Network. When he goes to brush his teeth, I lay out all his things he needs for work on the bed. He doesn't have to look for anything. I listen to him vent about going to work & give him advice. I walk him out the door when he leaves & give him a hug & kiss.

When he comes home I have a drink in hand for him & kiss & hug him hello. He has his magazines, phone charger & remote ready by his seat in the living room. I bring him whatever snack he wants. When he cooks dinner he fixes our plates & brings them to us. {We eat in the living room.} I talk with him about sports even though I hate them. When dinner is over, I carry everyone's dishes & trash to the kitchen for them.

Later at night I bring out whatever snacks he wants. He doesn't have to get up except to use the bathroom. When he falls asleep in the living room, I wake him up to go to bed & carry his stuff to the living room & clean up the living room. I set the alarm to wake him up the next morning.

My daughter is a little easier. Every morning I wake her up & get her to get out of bed to take a shower. We talk about whatever she wants to talk about. She watches what she wants in the living room while she does her makeup. I make sure she has her school ID. When it's time to go to school, I walk her out the door & tell her I love her. She goes & catches the bus. After school we sit & talk about her day. She tells me everything. She's very comfortable with me. We're close. I give her advice if she needs it. She does very well in school & is a caring sweet girl. {Most of the time. She is a teenager. Lol.}

I do what I can to make it to where all my husband has to do is yard work & most of the cooking. I used to have my daughter do the dishes but now I do those too so she only has to keep up her room everyday. I let them pick out what they want to watch, eat & do. When my family is happy, so am I.

I guess I just wrote this to make me & other moms like me who don't cook, know they can still be good wives & moms anyway. :) Are you a mom who doesn't cook much but still keep your family happy? What do you do?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Do you ever you talk about your day or watch what you want? Not bashing it just made me feel kinda sad for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
minimo77
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I would love it in a perfect world that both parents took turns cooking. Both should be able to, though as long as someone is doing it and your not running off to MCD's every night, then that is great, that is what works for your family.

melrose79
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Quoting deadlights86:

Do you ever you talk about your day or watch what you want? Not bashing it just made me feel kinda sad for you.

Lol. To my friends I do. That is something I noticed myself after I wrote this. I'm happy though. :)
NVL0707
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
This is actually kinda sad :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melrose79
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Quoting minimo77:

I would love it in a perfect world that both parents took turns cooking. Both should be able to, though as long as someone is doing it and your not running off to MCD's every night, then that is great, that is what works for your family.

I agree. I don't like cooking, but I sometimes do. I made Dirty Rice tonight. We rarely ever eat out.
melrose79
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Quoting NVL0707:

This is actually kinda sad :/

How is it sad? :/
Grumpylilpixy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Well if it works for you then great I am happy it works for you.

For me I have 3 children so setting the alarm and looking for his toothbrush and getting his own coffee is on him.

I do make sure he has something cold to drink made when he gets home though but that is because he is usually really thirsty and tired and he goes to bed when he wants to I don't harrass him to help me with the boys I do that. It makes me and the boys relationship closer and I enjoy being the one to give my boys hugs and kisses before bed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM

You bring your husband everything, do everything for him, and he never has to move except to go to work and cook. Do you do all of this because you want to or because he wants/expects you to? I would say you sound like a great mom, but maybe some part of your day should be about you. You clearly deserve it.

melrose79
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Well if it works for you then great I am happy it works for you.

For me I have 3 children so setting the alarm and looking for his toothbrush and getting his own coffee is on him.

I do make sure he has something cold to drink made when he gets home though but that is because he is usually really thirsty and tired and he goes to bed when he wants to I don't harrass him to help me with the boys I do that. It makes me and the boys relationship closer and I enjoy being the one to give my boys hugs and kisses before bed.

You sound like a good wife & mom, too. :)
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't cook often.  Maybe once or twice a week.  A week here or there maybe 3 times a week. But over all 1-2 times a week.  I simply cannot stand on my feet that long...  So the times that I do cook is crock pot cooking for the most part.  Otherwise i'm eating tv dinners, sammies, wraps or salads.  *Shrugs*  If that makes me horrible oh well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)