Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You don't have to cook to be a great wife & mom. :) *Long*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think a wife/mom that doesn't cook is a bad one?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 61

View Results

I don't normally cook. My husband does. I don't like it. It's gross, messy, you can get burned & I don't have the patience for it. I'm still a wonderful wife & mom for many other reasons.

I wake my husband every morning at 4am & bring him coffee to bed. When he opens his eyes the tv is already turned to the NFL Network. When he goes to brush his teeth, I lay out all his things he needs for work on the bed. He doesn't have to look for anything. I listen to him vent about going to work & give him advice. I walk him out the door when he leaves & give him a hug & kiss.

When he comes home I have a drink in hand for him & kiss & hug him hello. He has his magazines, phone charger & remote ready by his seat in the living room. I bring him whatever snack he wants. When he cooks dinner he fixes our plates & brings them to us. {We eat in the living room.} I talk with him about sports even though I hate them. When dinner is over, I carry everyone's dishes & trash to the kitchen for them.

Later at night I bring out whatever snacks he wants. He doesn't have to get up except to use the bathroom. When he falls asleep in the living room, I wake him up to go to bed & carry his stuff to the living room & clean up the living room. I set the alarm to wake him up the next morning.

My daughter is a little easier. Every morning I wake her up & get her to get out of bed to take a shower. We talk about whatever she wants to talk about. She watches what she wants in the living room while she does her makeup. I make sure she has her school ID. When it's time to go to school, I walk her out the door & tell her I love her. She goes & catches the bus. After school we sit & talk about her day. She tells me everything. She's very comfortable with me. We're close. I give her advice if she needs it. She does very well in school & is a caring sweet girl. {Most of the time. She is a teenager. Lol.}

I do what I can to make it to where all my husband has to do is yard work & most of the cooking. I used to have my daughter do the dishes but now I do those too so she only has to keep up her room everyday. I let them pick out what they want to watch, eat & do. When my family is happy, so am I.

I guess I just wrote this to make me & other moms like me who don't cook, know they can still be good wives & moms anyway. :) Are you a mom who doesn't cook much but still keep your family happy? What do you do?
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Replies (31-40):
MarinaVictoria
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Well I'm a single mom so I have to cook. But my mom didn't cook often when I was growing up. I don't look down on it but I wish she would of done more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on May. 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Sounds great.

helema24
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

this is the one my grandma owns!!

Quoting .not.angel.:

Quoting helema24:

if you get a dutch oven from a flea market you can pan sear a nice beef roast (7-10 mins each side includeing the ends) and then toss in carrots cellery potatoes and onions and cover with water until th emeat and vegies are just covered then put on the lid and puit in th eoven at 250 for the rest of the day (it will take 4-6 hours depending on how you like your roast cooked) and go read a book or clean the house or sneak a lil me time in  abubble bath etc etc etc!! check it periodically but it pretty much cooks itself!

Quoting melrose79:

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

I don't cook often.  Maybe once or twice a week.  A week here or there maybe 3 times a week. But over all 1-2 times a week.  I simply cannot stand on my feet that long...  So the times that I do cook is crock pot cooking for the most part.  Otherwise i'm eating tv dinners, sammies, wraps or salads.  *Shrugs*  If that makes me horrible oh well.

No! I think that's great! I love those things! And I don't mind crockpot cooking. Maybe I should do more of that. I hate standing over a hot stove.

Those are real?? whoa.

CafeMom Tickers
Aeonix
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Quoting melrose79:

You are able to provide for your family in other ways, nothing wrong with that. :) my dad worked overnights and eventually swing shift but he still cooked the majority of meals until we all got older. It was what worked for our family. :)
JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

No. I mean if your husband knew this before hand and was fine with cooking then IMO its fine as long as somebody is doing the cooking. However your situation, as a whole, wouldnt work for me but i guess that is part of what makes us different and a part (if even small) of the reason that we picked the partners we did:)

The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms

melrose79
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

No. I mean if your husband knew this before hand and was fine with cooking then IMO its fine as long as somebody is doing the cooking. However your situation, as a whole, wouldnt work for me but i guess that is part of what makes us different and a part (if even small) of the reason that we picked the partners we did:)

True.
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM
That's good. I'm glad you get to share your day with someone.

Quoting melrose79:

Quoting deadlights86:

Do you ever you talk about your day or watch what you want? Not bashing it just made me feel kinda sad for you.

Lol. To my friends I do. That is something I noticed myself after I wrote this. I'm happy though. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melrose79
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Quoting HisMommy4Ever:

Well that's good. I don't like cooking but I have to do it so I can eat and feed my son. If you don't cook what do you eat when your husband is at work?....Hmmm I don't think your method would work for me lol...sadly...to my boyfriend a good wife/girl would cook...clean...and be sweet to her man...ask about his day and stuff like that....take care of his child and everything. all he has to do is work :( oh well.....

He's usually off in time for dinner or before, but when I do have to prepare dinner, I usually cheat & had either one of those bagged frozen dinners, a frozen family dinner from Stouffer's, or something else easy. I can cook. I just try not to. Lol. Sometimes my husband will cook food the night before for the next day.
BJAponte77
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Honestly you sound like a great mother and wife.  I cook and clean because even though my mother would be ashamed of me for saying this, this is what a wife is supposed to do if they don't work and in some cases if they do.  However, if you don't like to cook or can't cook it doesn't make you a bad mom.  You sound like a better mom than a lot who do cook and clean.  Keep up the good work mama!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

melrose79
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Quoting BJAponte77:

Honestly you sound like a great mother and wife.  I cook and clean because even though my mother would be ashamed of me for saying this, this is what a wife is supposed to do if they don't work and in some cases if they do.  However, if you don't like to cook or can't cook it doesn't make you a bad mom.  You sound like a better mom than a lot who do cook and clean.  Keep up the good work mama!

Thank you! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)