Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Payment for motherly/wifely duties???*** update in red***

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM
  • 166 Replies

So a quick back story....my fil was here yesterday and was fussing about my house. I've literally been on the go for. Nearly four weeks straight. My house is cluttered yes it it. There is laundry to be done but my house is NOT dirty.

He tells me that I should be ashamed. That he thinks my dh should pay be for my work as a mom and wife and that I shouldn't get paid if the house is messy or I don't cook a fabulous meal every night.

That if dh puts the kids to bed or anything like that it should be held from my "paycheck". I think this is ridiculous. Yes I'm a Sahm and I do the cleaning and MOST of the child care 9 out of 10 times dh comes home to a hot meal.

Anyway my question is do u think a Sahm should get paid for her duties. I should state my fil believes that this money should be for my food and my needs. And if I don't earn it I don't get to eat or have things I need.

UPDATE-for those of u that feel a sahm should have a SPOTLESS house yeah right. my house is what i call "company ready" at all times spotless no.  I have a life. I have a 1 year old at home and two others in school. My 1 year old has play dates and storyhour my oldest dd is in girl scouts and im the leader of her troop and we meet at my house. my ds plays tball plus i keep two little girls after school. its inpossible to keep a spotless house all the time.  so back off and come back to reality.

yes my fil is old fashoned (sp) and no my dh does not agree. like i said 9/10 times my dh has dinner waiting on him. the ONLY chore he does is takes out the trash and sometimes he will vaccume.  He helps with the kids when he gets home but guess what hes their dad and is supposed to spend time with them.  I love being a sahm and require no other payment than my families happiness and love!!!!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmary
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM
16 moms liked this

Your FIL is a misogynistic jerk.

TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM
4 moms liked this

Your FIL sounds like a controlling ass.  What's MIL like?

Rhiannon1980
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. If it where to be said my dh pays me yes he puts the roof over my head and makes sure I have what I need. But to physically pay me no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM
I'd have thrown him out lol. That's craziness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Umm, he's an ass and needs to mind his business. As long as what you and your dh have discussed works for you two, that is all that should matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoLee12345
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:26 AM
He is nuts but I do think your home should be neat, organized and clean dailt! I have 100% access to all money no matter what!
Rose87
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Quoting Kmary:

Your FIL is a misogynistic jerk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gomomgomom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM
I agree. I think he's friggin nits but never heard anyone say a wife should have to literally earn her food.

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

I agree with you. If it where to be said my dh pays me yes he puts the roof over my head and makes sure I have what I need. But to physically pay me no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this
That's just...dumb. I don't like to call people names, but sometimes it's just true. So in that line of thinking, if dh is sick and doesn't go to work, he shouldn't get to eat either!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mantyangel
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM
8 moms liked this
My man couldnt afford me lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)