Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dh wants a husky... but

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm not sure. Do you know if they are good around kids. My boys are six and two. Our last dog was such a sweet dog. So for fathers day I want to surprise they guys with a new member.

What other dog would you recommended?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
Tatiana7
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Tremendous amount of energy, as they are working-type dogs. If they are not excersized enough, they will destroy a house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meg48626
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
I have a husky and she's great around kids... But she does shed like crazy, only around this time of year but she doesn't have the really long hair like most huskies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UnIdentiFiedOne
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Huskies are very active and hyper. Having a husky pup around young kids could be dangerous simply because they are large, hyper and clumsy for a while. They are also known runners. Door opens, they run. Hole in the fence, they run.

Just do some research and know what you're getting into before you make a final decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof1-122710
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a husky and she is amazing with our DS.  They do have a lot of energy so I reccommend a fenced in yard where they can run and get out their energy.  She also does shed a ton, but we vaccum every other day to keep up.  Overall though they are amazing loving dogs.

Tatiana7
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I forgot about that! They are born "runners".

Quoting UnIdentiFiedOne:

Huskies are very active and hyper. Having a husky pup around young kids could be dangerous simply because they are large, hyper and clumsy for a while. They are also known runners. Door opens, they run. Hole in the fence, they run.

Just do some research and know what you're getting into before you make a final decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM
there is no breed that is better with kids....it is how they are raised! we have a pitbull he is a great family pet
dolphingurl1286
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM
We have a huskey mix. He is 6 so we got him about a year.before my oldest was born. He has been amazing with my kids. He has never growled at.them. He lets them do whatever they want to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UnIdentiFiedOne
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Lol...we had one growing up. Very well trained...but always a runner. It was so obnoxious!

Quoting Tatiana7:

Yes, I forgot about that! They are born "runners".

Quoting UnIdentiFiedOne:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tatiana7
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM
They are beautiful creatures, but you know you will be doing all the work that the dog needs, on top of caring for your little ones. And if you lapse on it, be ready for a huge mess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyLos
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

im surrounded by pitbulls right now. my 16 months old is laying on top of the 120 pound one right now. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)