Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dh wants a husky... but

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm not sure. Do you know if they are good around kids. My boys are six and two. Our last dog was such a sweet dog. So for fathers day I want to surprise they guys with a new member.

What other dog would you recommended?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM
They are wonderful, they need room to run, and they need to be brushed often to keep down on hair. They are loyal and protective. As always I would suggest a puppy over a adult dog so it can be trained how u want
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM
They are very very very active and shed tremendously. My friend and cousin had huskies. If you dont take them for frequent walks they can distroy your home from being bored.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sfkdny
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I grew up with a husky - they are AMAZING family pets, great with kids, gentle, etc

as a pp said, they shed like CRAZY and needs lots of room to run around.  my Nikki used to climb our fence and walk all around the neighborhood and the neighbors would call us or return him.  one time, he fell into my neighbors pool, in the winter and got wrapped up in the pool cover and could not get out.  my neighbor jumped into the freezing cold water to save him - he wound up living to be 19 (normal life span for huskys is 11-13 years)

good luck with your decision

nrcklove
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I have to huskies! mine are great with my kids. they do shed alot but i dont care about that...go for it!  its all about how u raise and train the dog

TexasWife
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

My SIL has a husky. He gets excited and knocks my kids down. He needs to be trained. During the training period he has chewed up my MIL coffee table, chewed a hole in the wall, and the edge off the staircase. So keep in mind that they can tear up walls.

TexasWife
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM

This is why he destroys their house also. No one is ever home with him.

Quoting SnapIt:

They are very very very active and shed tremendously. My friend and cousin had huskies. If you dont take them for frequent walks they can distroy your home from being bored.

supermom985
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Fgh

They are good with kids I have a 5 yr old and 9 month old and they are already good together . I had one growing up and never had any problems as long as you train them right
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jjc7193
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM
My aunt breeds huskies and as long as their trained well there great dogs. (like any dog) my neighbor has a husky puppy it is sooooo cute! She has a 3year old. I want a husky puppy but I think dh wants to get a golden retriever puppy
Sarahv717
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
This....my brother's used to jump their fence....he's 10 now and he still darts out of the house if a door is left open too long

Quoting UnIdentiFiedOne:

Huskies are very active and hyper. Having a husky pup around young kids could be dangerous simply because they are large, hyper and clumsy for a while. They are also known runners. Door opens, they run. Hole in the fence, they run.

Just do some research and know what you're getting into before you make a final decision.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Yea I'm sure that beagle really had you pinned.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I would never bring dogs into the house with children..they are very filthy, they use the same tongue they clean their privates after waste excretion and lick your kids and so on, and people think its "aww look hes giving kisses" eww. Anyways, its a DOG I just think they are dangerous and would never let one back in my home..I had my dog for almost 10 yrs (beagle) and she pinned me to the ground one day I was carrying my dinner to the table and after that, never again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN