Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What ever happened to kids just being allowed to be kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 94 Replies
5 moms liked this

I think parents are way to over protective  these days!! It seems stupid to not allow children just a little bit of freedom....Yes times have changed, but their no worse then they were 20 years ago except we hear more about it now then we did before.

I feel bad for children that have their parents up their ass 24/7 and not allow them to make the mistakes they need to make so they can learn and grow from them...

I find it pathetic parents don't allow their children out to play in their own back yards without an adult supervision until their 11 or 12...I can see maybe 7 or 8, but 12?

I think it is stupid to make a child show up late for a birthday party all because it was at a fast food place, once in awhile is not going to kill your child  if they have a hamburger and Frye!

I think it is sad when a child has to miss out on a field trip because they don't want their precious 6 year old to walk a mile from the school to the point of the feild trip with adults right next to them! Hell kids use to have to walk 2 miles by themselves back and fourth to school at 6 (no I would not allow this, but you get the point)

I think it is rather kind of sad when a child has never had a piece of birthday cake because their parents don't want them eating any junk again a treat every so often especially on their birthday isn't going to hurt them!

Kids need to be given some room to make mistakes or they never will never learn from the things they do...

Stop hovering over your children 24/7 and just let them be kids once in awhile and make their own mistakes and let them learn from them!!!

Agree..disagree...add your own thoughts

Like someone else said moderation is the key!!!!

Somebody made a really good point so i wanted to add it here :) If a child has a disability (mentally challenged, down syndromes,ect ect...) this does not apply to you because obviously you know your child better then anyone's else and you know their capabilities and when and if they are ready for certain things :)

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoahandEliza
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this
Agree...somewhat. Moderation is key. Too much sheltering just produces adults that don't know how to cope after moving out. A little hovering never hurt, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddhattermama
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM
3 moms liked this

clapping

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

You are correct moderation is the key!!

Quoting NoahandEliza:

Agree...somewhat. Moderation is key. Too much sheltering just produces adults that don't know how to cope after moving out. A little hovering never hurt, though.

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

agree completely....

JLo1486
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I never see kids out in neighborhoods playing anymore. :( I LOVED doing that as. Kid. I'd walk down to my friends house (by myself) and be gone all day. With the occassional check in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemomof307
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Agree. Very well said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indyb
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I agree with some of what  you are saying,  treats and fast food in moderation are ok.  But in the neighborhood where we used to live it was not safe for kids to be out by themselves,  now where we live and have a back yard with a fence I let them out alone  but I don't feel like I was being overprotective!

Christyabbey
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

woohoo

sondamom0828
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I agree.  Unfortunately, I am a hovering mom to my daughter (she is 5) and don't know when she will be ready to have more freedom (or if she will).  She has Down Syndrome. 

Quoting NoahandEliza:

dee06
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree. I get yelled at by so many people because I let my 11yr old ride his bike to the library and to his baseball games/practices and to other places around town. He knows the rules, he has a cell phone and I trust him to do the right thing so I let him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN