Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to erf or not

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Ok,  so my dd is 13 monthes and I am deciding whether to keep rear facing her or go ahead and turn her around.  While I know many of you women have very strong opinions on this subject,  I don't want your opinions I want some facts!  I went and looked at car crashes on you tube like I saw someone suggest on another post but it didn't say who was in charge of those crashes or give much info about the studies.  So if any of you have some links or suggested websites about actual facts about carseats please share with me.  This is my fourth child and when the others where babies I know nothing of a deate about carseats( maybe there wasn't one at that time idk)  but I have been in a wreck with my older dd when she was ff and she walked away fine so I guess this is why I am having a little trouble seeing why erf is such a big deal,  but I am open minded and would like to see some unbiased facts on the subject!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Regardless of what you "think", you can't honestly say "ANYONE else would this" We are all different. If you thought she was trying to start drama you could have chosen to walk away, you didn't. You gave her an answer she wasn't looking for, got quoted, and came back. Then you got quoted by me with a reasonable response and chose again to come back and try to defend it. Way to avoid drama! You'd have been better off posting the link that nobody watched.

Quoting areyouatroll:

All anyone else is going to do is search Google and post them lol she is trying to start drama. Sorry I'm not posting links that noone will care about. Besides her reasons for ff don't even need facts to discuss them

Quoting Anonymous:

Uhm...a link to a "reputable website" is exactly what she asked for.

Quoting areyouatroll:

Scrunched up legs are not uncomfortable and she doesn't have motion sickness.

See, your reasons don't even need facts to discuss them. if you want facts go to a reputable website instead of trolling around on cafemom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya thnks for giving me exactley what I didn't ask for,  I would ff her because her legs are all scrunched up and we have a history of motion sickness in our family

Quoting areyouatroll:

I'll just give my opinion. It doesn't cost any money, uses less time, and is safer *for everyone* to remain rear facing as long as possible. Why not?

Why would you turn her ff?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I said her legs were starting to get squished,  I am mainly thinking ahead,  because I assume she will keep growing,  and I am sorry that I feel the need to question things,  just because people say it's the best doesn't always mean it is,  but with reading someof the links I am leaning towards rfing at least for a while longer as long as she is comfortable!

Quoting inthebox_11:

Here are some facts:  http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Not sure the purpose of this post.  Safety is THE most important thing.  How squished could her legs possibly be at 13 months old?  Jesus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I know a bunch of idiots that ff their kids at 6 months. I decided to ff dd at 17 months and 25lbs. The law is 1 year and 20lbs.
danie24
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is my daughter when he was almost 5 and still rear facing.

She had plenty of room. Sometimes she would stretch her feet out like in the photo but she preferred to cross cross "Indian style".

Kids don't break their legs while rear facing because in most accidents the forces are going toward the front of the car. It's forward facing kids who break legs because in an accident their legs go flying forward with great force (along with their head and arms). While rear facing, the seat cradles their body and they barely move at all.

If you want to do what's safe.. keep baby rear facing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
areyouatroll
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM
!!!!!!!!

Way to avoid the drama yourself ...

Quoting Anonymous:

Regardless of what you "think", you can't honestly say "ANYONE else would this" We are all different. If you thought she was trying to start drama you could have chosen to walk away, you didn't. You gave her an answer she wasn't looking for, got quoted, and came back. Then you got quoted by me with a reasonable response and chose again to come back and try to defend it. Way to avoid drama! You'd have been better off posting the link that nobody watched.

Quoting areyouatroll:

All anyone else is going to do is search Google and post them lol she is trying to start drama. Sorry I'm not posting links that noone will care about. Besides her reasons for ff don't even need facts to discuss them

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting areyouatroll:

See, your reasons don't even need facts to discuss them. if you want facts go to a reputable website instead of trolling around on cafemom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ya thnks for giving me exactley what I didn't ask for,  I would ff her because her legs are all scrunched up and we have a history of motion sickness in our family

Quoting areyouatroll:

I'll just give my opinion. It doesn't cost any money, uses less time, and is safer *for everyone* to remain rear facing as long as possible. Why not?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I turned all of my kids at 1 and 20. I don't buy into the whole ERF/EH bs.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for the helpful info!  I think for now i'm going to keep her rear faced with the info i've learned and maybe revisit turning her around 18monthes to a year depending on her size,  and then who know maybe i'll keep her that way longer if it's a good fit!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Covertables are meant to rear face older babies but you can definitely rear face longer and more comfortably in different seats depending on weight/height. We have Radians. They RF to 45 lbs. and have tall shells but if you see the picture I posted the seat length is long so they have way more leg room then other seats.

We initially bought Britax Marathons for both kids and while they technically were able to RF in them the seat length was so short they were eating their legs. We gave those to my parents as spares and bought the Radians and they are MUCH more comfortable in those.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you need a specific seat to rf  that long I have a convertable(  I think thats what it's called)  that said you can rf but I don't remember seeing the exact weight limit,  i'll look in the book that came with it when I get home!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Do you have any specific questions?

Both my kids ERF. My son RF to 4 and daughter is 3.5 and still RF and both comfortably so with the proper car seat with the room. I feel great knowing that I am keeping them the safest I can.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe in gravity and physics either. I float!

Quoting Anonymous:

danie24
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM
LOL

So you don't believe in physics?

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

And then she realizes how ridiculous the argument was...lol Have a nice day :)

Quoting areyouatroll:

!!!!!!!!

Way to avoid the drama yourself ...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting areyouatroll:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting areyouatroll:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting areyouatroll:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured