Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think it's extremely rude to attend a child's bday party without a gift!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM
  • 572 Replies
3 moms liked this

We threw a party for our son and one of the kids showed up without anything. Not even a homemade card. A week after the party the mom even made mention that they "owed" us a gift. That gift never came. The football camp they attend together is $500 so I doubt they couldn't spare a buck for a card and gum or something...

So rude!!! I would never show up without a gift.

***yes, I knew this post would cause controversy, I couldn't care less. Yes, I think you lack manners, etiquette, and social grace if you show up without a gift. How were you raised? I will know that somebody failed to teach you proper manners. Why is it so hard to fathom that bringing a gift to celebrate the birthday child is the norm? Did you attend parties as a child sans gift? If so, I can see where you get it from! I did not grow up that way, sorry. Is it so terribly difficult or time consuming to purchase a small gift? Make a hand drawn card? Pick a flower? ANYTHING? You are there to acknowledge and celebrate the birthday child so put a little effort into making him feel special for the day! I bet you expect to get fed at a party, right? Social norms...it's a 2-way street.****

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM
35 moms liked this
I didn't know gifts were mandatory maybe you should've put on the invite that your child was registered at target. Geez.
Chuckydoodle
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM
17 moms liked this

I personally wouldn't ever show up without a gift for a child, and I would have made an inquiry into what they like. However, I never think badly of the children that don't bring a gift to my childs party. The only times it really bugs me is when they bring a lot of family with them and basically mooch off the situation.

sophiesister2
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM
5 moms liked this
Seriously? Uhm i agree with OP its rude af to show up without a gift

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't know gifts were mandatory maybe you should've put on the invite that your child was registered at target. Geez.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on May. 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Oh no, he wasn't registered.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM
53 moms liked this

Unless your child is a spoiled brat, he was probably just happy that his friend came to the party.

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM
6 moms liked this

Sometimes maybe the family can't afford an extra gift but would like their child to experience a birthday party...as long as it doesnt become a routine for the same person..its ok every once in awhile.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM
75 moms liked this

I think it's rude to expect a gift.

Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on May. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

oh we always have that too! They bring an extra aunt and siblings and cousins. lol. plus they don't even RSVP so we have to scramble for more food.

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

I personally wouldn't ever show up without a gift for a child, and I would have made an inquiry into what they like. However, I never think badly of the children that don't bring a gift to my childs party. The only times it really bugs me is when they bring a lot of family with them and basically mooch off the situation.

alliesaurus
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM
10 moms liked this

We usually request no gifts.

I think it's awkward, i dont like having my kids open gifts in front of people and "showing off" material things. Some people stlll bring gifts. We open them after people have left and write Thank You cards.

jandyrodax
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:13 PM
18 moms liked this

Gee! Did you put on the invitation that gifts were required in order to attend the party.

Birthday parties are meant to celebrate the birth of your child with family and friends. Big deal someone didn't bring a gift!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN