Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

any other moms do this as a way to get your kids to help?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

Ive tried everything to get DD8 to help me aroundthe house and to do chores. But she doesnt care. We have done sticker charts, allowance. EVERYTHING. She doesnt care, because she doesnt see that money. So I keep thinking on a way to do this, and my friend just suggested I do this.

Give DD 10 dollars a week. And everytime I end up having to do something that she was supposed to do, she has to pay me. That way she sees the money, its hers.

What is your insight on this? I think it would work for DD but wanted other opinions.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TamlynM2B
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I think it sounds like a good idea

RayneofTerror
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM
First thing that popped into my head is you are gonna end up being her "hired" help. Admittedly I haven't put much thought in it though. I don't think I would go that route.
natdsstr
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM
I put paper in a bucket with chores written on them. Each of my kids get to draw a paper. When they all have their chore, we work for 7 minutes. After three sets of chores they get to do something fun or get a snack. They love the 'chore game'
Hilary799
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM
I don't know about that much. I take priviledges away if I have to keep telling them. Dd 5 I see, but ds' 13, 10, and 8 and dd's 16 and 14....nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaK313
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I actually think that's a pretty good idea. Maybe when she sees her allowance dwindling away she'll realize she's losing out by not helping.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Quoting RayneofTerror:

First thing that popped into my head is you are gonna end up being her "hired" help. Admittedly I haven't put much thought in it though. I don't think I would go that route.

I dont know. I just thought itd teach her to save money, to help, and what it is like to have to pay for things you dont really want to spend your money on. Then if she goes all week doing her chores, I pay her another 5 bucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Quoting Hilary799:

I don't know about that much. I take priviledges away if I have to keep telling them. Dd 5 I see, but ds' 13, 10, and 8 and dd's 16 and 14....nope.

Well I dont know... its not that easy for us. She was in soccer,and it was so hard to take that awya, bc then she let the WHOLE team down.. .they had JUST enough players so if she didnt show up to a game theyd have to forfeit and for an undefeated team or any team that wasnt fair. 

Same with church, Im not taking church away. Tumblinb, well I pay 40 bucks a month for that... and Im in  contract.. she doesnt do much else, or have any favorite things.  Plus, if I say well youre not going to go to the park when I take DS bc you didnt do this, there is no where else to go.. I have no one else to watch her,

UsArmyWife2001
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea. It won't hurt to try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyvamp5489
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Quoting Hilary799:

This but my kids are 9, 11 and 15.

Hilary799
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Soccer I get, tumbling if you're in a contract okay. Church...I don't do that..the park make her sit on a bench. I'm talking if you let her watch tv or movies, take it away. Toys gone a few at a time. Tell her she doesn't get to play but read instead.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Hilary799:

Well I dont know... its not that easy for us. She was in soccer,and it was so hard to take that awya, bc then she let the WHOLE team down.. .they had JUST enough players so if she didnt show up to a game theyd have to forfeit and for an undefeated team or any team that wasnt fair. 

Same with church, Im not taking church away. Tumblinb, well I pay 40 bucks a month for that... and Im in  contract.. she doesnt do much else, or have any favorite things.  Plus, if I say well youre not going to go to the park when I take DS bc you didnt do this, there is no where else to go.. I have no one else to watch her,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)