Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public Assistance Coming to an End?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
  • 157 Replies

There has been a lot of posts lately about public assistance (food stamps, medicaid, etc). I have been coming across several articles lately about these entitlement programs and changes that may be coming to them. Republicans want to end and or decrease the size of the programs and "end the age of entitlement". Democrats see people on public assistance as vulnerable and state that they need support. Democrats also say that many of these programs help feed and support children who would otherwise go hungry. Ultimately with the deficit, changes will have to be made to the programs. Republicans want just cuts (I base this off of the articles I have read) and democrats want to raise taxes on the wealthy to help support these programs. If you could make the decision, what would you do? Would you cut the programs? Increase taxes? Or do a little of both and why. Ultimately the money comes from YOU the tax payer, so what would you do? Do you think we are living in an age of entitlement? Or do these programs really benefit the needy. Lets have a thought provoking and respectful (if that is possible) discussion!

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal; it is the Courage to Continue that Counts." -- Winston Churchill

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM
26 moms liked this

1. A limit to how long you can receive assistance.

2. Drug testing

3. National database so, that people can't get them in multiple states.

gum.drop
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this
If I had to choose I go republican
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MisfitInTN
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Would be nice. Make people responsible for their children
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM
4 moms liked this

I would cut every single welfare program there is to a big fat 0.  People would find a way to feed their own.

gum.drop
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM
At the same time however, republicans need to take on fair wages for lower level workers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aeonix
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM
3 moms liked this
The programs need an overhaul. That's pretty obvious. But the wealthiest in the country should be paying appropriate taxes too. I don't think just because you are rich you should get tax breaks out the wazoo and end up paying fewer taxes than anyone else out there.
Aeonix
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

1. A limit to how long you can receive assistance.

2. Drug testing

3. National database so, that people can't get them in multiple states.

People get them in multiple states? Wow...I don't know why but I never realized people did that. That's insane.
mommy2annaliese
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM
9 moms liked this

These programs are not going to end, get real.

Mitt romney is looking like the Republican nominee and candidate that will face off obama.

Go look at their approve ratings, and favors, and such, romney doesn't have a shot in hell beating Obama.

Also, yes they can help the needy.

They have helped me out before, when i had to have food assistance, after losing my job, using every bit of my savings to pay bills i was short on food each month for my children, food assistance was great, and when i got myself a job, i closed my case and quit getting it.

just because a few bad eggs take total avantage of the system, doesn't mean everyone on PA does.

They should do things to make it better, and harder to get for scammers, instead of getting rid of it.

Chuckydoodle
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I would do both options, I would like to see stricter guidelines in place, and people that actually investigate to clear the problems with fraud. A time limit on most forms of assistance and financial planning being a normal part of the process. Teach these people how to get the most bang for their buck. 

marchantmom06
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Quoting gum.drop:

If I had to choose I go republican

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)