Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help! What do I tell her?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Kind of TMI-Sorry...

My daughter is 4 and likes to turn bathroom time into a spectator sport...I've always been able to hide my period from her, but not today. Now she is asking why I'm bleeding. What is a good age-appropriate way to teach her about it?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
gramattmom
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

When my daughter noticed it, she was about 4 or 5 and she asked and so I just told her that  that is what big girls do and that it happens to every big girl..she dropped it at that

NDADanceMom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I told my kids that it is a special place that my body makes inside me to hold a baby, like a bird builds a nest to hold the egg while her chick grows.  If there is no baby to use the nest then the nest comes out each month and my body makes a new one.  It isnt blood, it just looks like it.  Its fancy name is called uterine lining. 

ajohnson08099
by *Lyssa Lou* on May. 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Right I agree with that. You just wouldn't want your daughter spewing out to a friend that visits "Moms bloody blah blah blah" ya know?

Quoting atyou:

I agree with that.

I want her to know it's a normal thing....and there should be no shame in. talking about it to myself or other trusted adults in her life.

Quoting ajohnson08099:

I agree with this and to add in there that its a very private thing that she doesn't need to tell other people about.

Quoting atyou:

my 3 year old has asked as well. I was honest. told her it is called a period that older girls and women get once every month....and that when she is older she will have one too. Kept is very basic. she accepted that and moved on to playing.

atyou
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM
absolutely!

Quoting ajohnson08099:

Right I agree with that. You just wouldn't want your daughter spewing out to a friend that visits "Moms bloody blah blah blah" ya know?

Quoting atyou:

I agree with that.

I want her to know it's a normal thing....and there should be no shame in. talking about it to myself or other trusted adults in her life.

Quoting ajohnson08099:

I agree with this and to add in there that its a very private thing that she doesn't need to tell other people about.

Quoting atyou:

my 3 year old has asked as well. I was honest. told her it is called a period that older girls and women get once every month....and that when she is older she will have one too. Kept is very basic. she accepted that and moved on to playing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajohnson08099
by *Lyssa Lou* on May. 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Hmm thats a cute way to discribe it!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I told my kids that it is a special place that my body makes inside me to hold a baby, like a bird builds a nest to hold the egg while her chick grows.  If there is no baby to use the nest then the nest comes out each month and my body makes a new one.  It isnt blood, it just looks like it.  Its fancy name is called uterine lining. 

gramattmom
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I remember when i was pregnant with my son, my daughter asked  how the baby got in there, I fibbed a little to her, she was 5 and i didnt think she was old enough to know all of the gory details  so I told her that God put the baby there, then she asked how the baby was going  to come out, lol and i told her thru my belly button, she believed me, but she is 11 now almost 12 and I have talked to her about it now..

Quoting masonsmommy107:

Oooooooooooo just tell her all big girls bleed but that does mean there sick or hurt?i have a son so i have no clue how to explain a menstrual cycle to a little girl. the only thing ds has asked was how do babies get in there mommies bellies. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm asking how to tell her...she's asking the question now :)

Quoting masonsmommy107:

when they start asking questions

ajohnson08099
by *Lyssa Lou* on May. 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Lol this reminds me of my ex's mom when we were talking one time. I guess it was about how much of a little shit he was as a kid. Apparently he thought her pads and liners that he found were "stickers".. Apparently she got home or something (this story was told to me about 5 years ago) and he had stuck every single one on the wall.. She said she was mortified, but it was kind of cute because all of them only went half way up the wall because he was so little.

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Tell her the truth that all girls do this every month.. she may not understand but don't hide or lie..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HezekiahsMom07
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Tell her it is what helped mommy have her beautiful little girl, and that you can explain more when she gets a little older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masonsmommy107
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM

i told ds (then 4) the daddy plants a seed in the mommies belly then the baby grows he hasn't ask how they get outyet lol

Quoting gramattmom:

I remember when i was pregnant with my son, my daughter asked  how the baby got in there, I fibbed a little to her, she was 5 and i didnt think she was old enough to know all of the gory details  so I told her that God put the baby there, then she asked how the baby was going  to come out, lol and i told her thru my belly button, she believed me, but she is 11 now almost 12 and I have talked to her about it now..

Quoting masonsmommy107:

Oooooooooooo just tell her all big girls bleed but that does mean there sick or hurt?i have a son so i have no clue how to explain a menstrual cycle to a little girl. the only thing ds has asked was how do babies get in there mommies bellies. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm asking how to tell her...she's asking the question now :)

Quoting masonsmommy107:

when they start asking questions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)