Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the point of sending kids to school??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

The state might as well issue books home each then let the kids do their work there. 

I absolutely HATE the new schooling system. My husband is a teacher and he is thinking of retiring soon because he is so sick of everything. They actually tell the teachers to TEACH TESTING. Do they care that the kids learn and secure the knowledge in their brain? No. They care that their state testing scores are up to standard. And guess what happens if a few kids fail? That school is deemed "needs improvement" and the curriculum gets even more strict! 

My husband is a history teacher for 9th graders. He used to LOVE his job. He had fun and if a kid wasn't getting it then there were plenty of other ways he could try to make sure everyone understood. That's not the case anymore. He has one lesson plan and he MUST teach it the way the school says. And to add, if the students fail the tests then the teacher is to blame. God forbid we hold a student accountable for taking their own test. It's never the student's fault nor the government's fault for anything. It's the teachers who get blamed. 

Last year my husband's test grades were not up to par with the school so he was sent to a work shop to get some help. Forget the fact that he's been teaching for 20 years and traveled all over the world with the military. He probably doesn't know a thing about history or geography, right? 

Well this work shop told him that every day he is to have his students read a chapter out of the history book then either do the work sheets they give him or do the questions they assigned for that chapter. How god damn boring does that sound? Is that how you want to learn when you are 14-15 years old? No. You want to have the teacher talking to you, discussing things, not reading and answering q's all day.

I just find it so maddening! 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Not much.. socialization and preparing you for the work force (getting up to go to school each day, programing them to follow direction, those type of skills)..

that's about it!

It's why I plan on doing both!

littleacorn
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I've long thought the only "point" to sending a kid to public school was free daycare.

We homeschool.  Next year, for eight grade, I'm planning on teaching my oldest Algebra I, biology (using a college textbook, since his reading comprehension is that good), computer programming (which I know nothing about, but we'll be learning together from books), history from prehistoric times up to ancient Rome (unless we decide to slow it down because there is SO much interesting stuff in that time frame!), he'll be reading over 30 full length works of literature, and I'm looking for a native speaker of Japanese to help him learn that as well, since he wants to work for Nintendo right now and most of their game design takes place in Japan.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on May. 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM
This is one of our many reasons for homeschooling. Quite honestly I don't even worry about the standardized test and yet ds still manages to test above grade level in every subject every year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jessi2girls:

Not much.. socialization and preparing you for the work force (getting up to go to school each day, programing them to follow direction, those type of skills)..

that's about it!

It's why I plan on doing both!

Don't even get me started on getting up each morning. I still don't understand why the schools think its a good idea for their high schoolers to catch the bus at 6:30 am then expect them to stay awake in each class! LOL 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Ever watch "Waiting for Superman?" Sad, sad, sad. I recommend this to every parent. It's on netflix.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Ever watch "Waiting for Superman?" Sad, sad, sad. I recommend this to every parent. It's on netflix.

Don't have netflix...what's it about?

SkulkyGirl
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM

NCLB also gives the military access to ALL your child's records. For recruitment purposes. Are they trying to help kids learn, or gather info about them?? You can refuse to allow your kids to take the tests. But nobody will tell anyone this stuff. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM
NCBL was a horrible decision.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Our failing schools, across the nation. I have never googled information online. Maybe you will have luck for more information.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't have netflix...what's it about?

avonleafan
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I plan to homeschool beginning in the fall. I have spoken to friends who 1) homeschool and 2) used to teach in public schools. From what I understand, a majority of the class's time is spent on socialization and 'extracurricular' subjects such as music, art, PE, etc. I understand that there is definitely a place for such classes; kids need to learn how to express creativity. However, when do they have time to learn? Between those classes, recess, lunch, breaks, etc. there is (according to my friends) 45 minutes to an hour of actual schoolwork accomplished. That's just sad to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)