Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sorry but I'm not going to shove any religion down my kids throat

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am not going to force a religion upon my kid, I am not going to say that they are "going to hell" if they don't follow a certain religion either.  I have no issue with the teaching of different religions and then letting my kid decide which he wants to follow when he is old enough, why should I force something upon him? It is his choice as to what he wants to believe. Anyone agree?

P.S. telling me my kid is going to hell is quite immature and ignorant especially coming from supposed adults.

boy kissing mom

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Replies (61-70):
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM

ok? good for you?

JustCJ
by ~yeerp~ on May. 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Yay for you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ravensfan
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:46 AM

My mom used this theory of parenting, when you  are 18 you can enlist,join a religion or do anything else stupid you think of, but I hope you will be smarter than that.It kept her from answering my questions about God, & made me sneak off on sleepovers which she thought of as free babysitting.It worked for her, college allowed me to thinkthrough her tolerant liberal bias, which all parents have a bias of some kind.Happily saved 99, mom now attending a church after years of her judging me, & me feeling robbed on Bible stories I now think,her ambivalence made me cherish my faith much more than if I was raised in it.

epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on May. 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM
Me either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Uhh ok.  If you arent christian that makes sense. 

If you are christian.... well you arent.  

itsm3
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM

it's up the parents.  i do not belong to any religion and my dh is orthodox (non-practicing).  we don't go to church and when dd gets older and if she starts to show interest in religion, we'll help her get more information about it and support her decision if she wants to belong to a religion.  in my opinion, you don't have to belong to a relgion or go to church to be a good person.

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

FromAway
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I teach my children what I believe.  If a "religion" is forcing a person or child to do something than it is just that a "religion".  We have Beliefs.  You can't force beliefs on anyone, but if they are never taught those beliefs they will never be able to make the decision for themselves.  Forcing Beliefs is a huge misconseption of those that do not believe.  One can not be forced to believe, though they can be forced to follow a religion. 

harehelper
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ok, so don't then. Your kids will have the chance/choice to believe or not just like everyone else's kids do, regardless of how they are taught. Was there a point to this, besides to stir the pot?

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not going to force a religion upon my kid, I am not going to say that they are "going to hell" if they don't follow a certain religion either.  I have no issue with the teaching of different religions and then letting my kid decide which he wants to follow when he is old enough, why should I force something upon him? It is his choice as to what he wants to believe. Anyone agree?

P.S. telling me my kid is going to hell is quite immature and ignorant especially coming from supposed adults.

boy kissing mom

Hezzy1228
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
I agree. I grew up in the church, the amount of hypocritical and self righteous attitudes was pathetic. We dont go to church, my children will learn when they are older and can make their own choice. If they ask I'll tell them. Other wise i wont force them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romero858
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM
as parents we are suppose to talk to our kids abt God. As long as they live under the roof of mom and dad, children should have same religion as parents. Once they reach 18 then there is nothing parents can do. We parents are held accountanle for our children neliefs.yo love god is to obey god
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)