Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think this was fair?

Posted by   + Show Post
My husband was upset cause I wasn't 'fair' to the kids. After dinner the older kids (5) wanted to go outside. But I had to still clean the kitchen and had laundry to fold and couldn't sit outside for an hour watching kids. My dh was working on a project in the garage that he had to get done tonight since he started it. So I decided that the older kids could go outside since they need minimual supervision and the back door to the house and garage would be open. But I couldn't let my 18mth old outside cause she needs constant supervision and I couldn't give that. When the older kids went she was really upset she ccouldn't. Well I decided she could watch an episode of yo gabba gabba. They only get an hour of tv in the morning so this is special. Well when I turned it on the older kids then wanted to watch, I told them no that they had to play outside now. My dh thinks this is unfair since 'I didn't give them an option'. But it wasn't an option at the time I did it especially for her because she wasn't able to go outdide where they did. Was I being unfair?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
amomynous_j
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM

i'd have let the 18mos out with her older siblings..

Tinkerbellmama
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I don't think it was unfair. They got to go outside and play, something the baby couldn't do because she has to stay where you can see her. So, she got to do something special too. The older kids got to play outside and she got to watch a short TV show so you could get things done.

Everyone got to do something special. It's not like they got sent to bed and she got to stay up later and watch tv.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Quoting melakay1981:

OMG!  Another mom who thinks like me.  My kids have never had TV restrictions and I swear they watch less TV than kids who do have restrictions. LOL!

Quoting Paperfishies:

Not really unfair...however I think making a big deal of tv by putting stupid time restraints on it causes more drama than there should be.
Kids want it more because it is so restricted.

I don't have TV restrictions either and mine watch a movie before bed and that is usually it for the day by choice and their other favorite programs are on animal planet and the science channel...my 16 year old rarely watches TV at all! They are outside as soon as the weather gets nice (all 4 of them) by choice....and being in the Pacific Northwest if I restricted TV, Wii, etc they would never do anything...it rains too much and there are only so many craft projects kids want to do....

Twix.Leigh
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM
I don't know.. life is not fair, and honestly that seems fir to me. She did not have the option to go outside, so by giving them the option to watch tv or go outside would have been unfair to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Good idea.

Quoting SDarvasi:

Possibly. I think if you're going to let one kid do something 'special', you can let the others as well. Maybe this way, you keep an eye on them inside...and when you're done what you're doing, go outside with them for a bit?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I think the decision you made was perfect.  It's not fair the 18 month old couldn't go outside so she received her own special treat.

Besides, life isn't fair.   That's something I tell my kids all the time.  I don't want them thinking they will have somebody there to cut the candy bar perfectly in half the rest of their lives.  LOL

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:14 AM

That is very true.  I live in Pennsylvania and we have long winters here.  There are some days they play outside but this winter everything was mud almost the whole winter.

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting melakay1981:

OMG!  Another mom who thinks like me.  My kids have never had TV restrictions and I swear they watch less TV than kids who do have restrictions. LOL!

Quoting Paperfishies:

Not really unfair...however I think making a big deal of tv by putting stupid time restraints on it causes more drama than there should be.
Kids want it more because it is so restricted.

I don't have TV restrictions either and mine watch a movie before bed and that is usually it for the day by choice and their other favorite programs are on animal planet and the science channel...my 16 year old rarely watches TV at all! They are outside as soon as the weather gets nice (all 4 of them) by choice....and being in the Pacific Northwest if I restricted TV, Wii, etc they would never do anything...it rains too much and there are only so many craft projects kids want to do....

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM
It wouldn't have killed you, if they had watched.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayneeDoe
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM
I think you were being fair. Big kids need outside time. Yea sure the little one needs outside time too but there is always advantages to being the baby. Big kids always choose tv, sometimes parents have to make the decisions. Btw husband should be on your side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy-go-lucky
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Maybe not "fair" but I would have done the same thing. As long as it doesn't happen everyday, what does it matter?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN