Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do Grandparents have favorites?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

it seems to me that my inlaws have a favorite. my neice Ella... she ALWAYS has homemade clothes and such from Nana. My dd has maybe 3 outfits and 3 bows. for my sons 3rd b-day he got clothes and a hacky sack! OK it's not all about gifts, but how they treat my kids. They will ALWAYS watch my neice. and seem to say NO to my kids all the time. Tell me they are tired. and we only ask to take them one night or a few hrs. They take my neice almost everyweek-end fri-sun!!!! So yea im a tad jelious!

BUT do your parents or his have a fave? my mom said no. thatshe loves all 3!!!

Jen, Momma Of 2 GREAT kids... Nicholas and Veronicatoddler boy baby girl

by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Honestly I believe my his mom does. She goes and gets my daughters brother who lives about 30-45mins from here, we live 10-15 mins down the street she doesn't even stop by for a "just because" visit, she only comes around on the holidays and her birthday and she wonders why my 2 y.o. is so distant from her. Smh
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

My parents treat all of their grandchildren equally. They are AMAZING! My sister and her son live with them and they help them out a lot. So, my parents will randomly get things for my kids as well, and even if my step-daughter isn't here at the time, they always bring something over for her as well.

My in-laws... They play favorites. My step-daughter and my BIL's two kids are the favorites. My bio-kids get treated like crap. It's to the point that I refuse to allow my bio-kids around them for very long. I tell DH he can go and he can take SD if he wants, but that I am limiting the other kids' contact with his family. I refuse to have my son be called a brat by his grandmother for not sharing a chair at the table with his sister only to then by told that his sister doesn't HAVE to share toys with him. I'm sick of no one doing anything when my kids' cousin hits my girls, and if I say anything I'm being mean to him. But, God forbid my girls stand up for themselves, they should be taught not to be mean to their cousin...

So yea, I deal with it too. My in-laws have seen my younger 2 kids for maybe 30 minutes total since Christmas. And they have no desire to see them.

MammaQuinny
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

My niece's pictures literally COVER my boyfriend's mom's wall and my son's pictures are kind of scattered around here and there.  Obviously she made it a point to have a fucking shrine dedicated to this grandkid.  Sad but true.  She is wierd, she doesnt like me because i left her son, get over it.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on May. 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM
My in-laws are awesome. They are slightly partial to my son because he's the only boy but they treat everyone equally. My mom likes my mean ass nephew best and makes damn sure everyone knows it so my dad overcompensates for my son. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luckymama89
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM
My parents don't play favorites but my sister favors my oldest over my youngest. It makes me sad and angry at the same time :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whisper85
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

MY grandparents did that to me as a kid. They would take my brother and do everything for him. My mom tried to make up for it, but I noticed. It really hurt. Now my FIL started playing favorites with my boys. HE favored my oldest because "he looks just like me" UGH. Well we moved over 400 miles away so we don't have to deal with any in law crap. It's hurtful to kids. They will notice it one day. I don't see how anyone can have a favorite :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Yes, they do

I am my grandparent's favorite

mandella79
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM

My mother certain does and it is not my children.  She will drive 2 hours to baby sit my nephew and can't find the energy to watch mine for an hour so that I can go to the dentist and we used to live NEXT DOOR.  I don't get it either, but it isn't my problem. It is hers. On the other hand I know I am my grandmother's favorite, she makes no attempt to hide it. 

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
I was my grandparents' favorite. They helped raise me and I loved them. I spent many college breaks with them. They passed away in 2009 and 2010, I miss them every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaBoom
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM

my brother and I seemed to be my grandmas faves... but that was b/c we lived an hr away we visited at  leased 3 times a month. while the rest of my cousins live about 10min away. they visited almost never!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)