Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am concerned about my dd.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

I have a dd who is almost 5. She has gone to preschool & was way ahead of the game but I was having some concerns, which the teacher more or less brushed off. I also work with her at home.

My concern is that she may possibly be dyslexic. For example, she will read the word "did" as "bib" or  look at the number 24 & read it as 42 or write the number 7 backwards.This does not happen each time we sit down to work or read, only occasionally. When I brought it  up to the preschool teacher, she said that is normal for children her age. Now, I am not a professional so I kinda just took her at her word. But now I am beginning to rethink it, she will be going to kindergarten & if this is truly a problem, I want to get her the help that she needs.  I am not sure if this is an age thing & she will correct herself as she learns or if I need to step in.

I will be putting in a call to her pedi in the morning. I am just trying to get other mothers perspective. Thank you.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM
I'd say that's normal. She's just learning so she's bound to make mistakes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJHoward
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM
I think it normal as well, if at the end of kindergarten she is still having problems then maybe get her tested then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM
It I normal to an extent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

One of my friends is dyslexic, and she didnt actually realize it until we were in 7th grade...i just remember her beginning to cry in reading class because the words were getting all mixed up in the book we were reading. I would def. talk with your pedi. if you are concerned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Have her tested by a good psychologist.

NHGal
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM
I would say normal.
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Its normal. Actually i brought this concern up about my dd too. And her teacher saod developmentally till they are around 7 yrs old kids tend to reverse certain letters and numbers. Now if it cont past 7 then being yested is in orfer. D is 8 almost 9 and is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelife350
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

It is pretty normal for a child, not to be able  differentiate between b and d at that age. 

also this article helps on your question too

http://life.familyeducation.com/cognitive-development/early-learning/42297.html

jonellg
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM

normal

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

its normal. some kids get those letters mixed up... b/d... j/g.... s/z...i/l... they look a bit like each other and if she's was/is usually good at getting the letters, she *knows* what she's supposed to say, but it just gets a bit jumbled since she's trying to speed through it. my son is 6- this is his last month in kindergarten and i think he finally stopped doing it all the time just a few months ago. he still slips up here and there though- but more with the sound

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)