Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homeless with Kids!!!! What would of you do?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Today as I did my weekly jaunt into the city I came across a family. This family was well put together. Dad works 4am to 6pm, mom works nights from 10pm to 12am, they have a SUV, 2 kids 11 and 13 and THEY ARE HOMELESS!!!!

They city has closed the shelters for the warm months. What happen is dad owes back child support and sadly the husband pays 60% of his income to child support 30% for normal support and 30% for back child support. Wife got sick and lost her full time job but has her part time job. They were evicted from their apartment because they couldn't pay rent. Husband was driving over an hour to and from work an with gas prices the way they are one thing after another they are now homeless. Reason for her husband having back support is he lost his job and couldn't find another one for 22 months.

It really struck a cord with me on how her husband is paying support like my husband made me think how we could be in their shoes if one thing went wrong. My husband was unemployed for 18 months and now has to pay 60% of his income till the back support is paid up. Thankfully were half way to getting caught up.

While I was chatting with the mom she said every day they fear some one is going to call CPS on them. Their kids are 11 and 13 in middle school and the school works with them to make sure the kids are showered every other day and get a free lunch. I assured the mother that she and her husband are doing the best they can and wished her luck. I gave her the last of my money in my pocket, gave her all the water I pass out to the homeless and gave her extra sandwiches.

So ladies if you all ended up like this family what would you do. An yes, once a week I take a case of water and sandwitches to the city for the homeless its my way of paying it forward so if the day our family would fall I'd hope some one would be kind to us.

How would you all handle being homeless with kids? Should kids be taken for familys that fall on hard times? Should these parents be able to get help?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Replies (21-25):
bi-polarmommy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM

my sons sperm donor owes back child support for ds entire life, (14yrs).  i'm SUPPOSED to get over two hundred a month for ds, but i think i've gotten less than $1000 combined in 14 years.

90% of government is f*ed up, and we just seem to keep voting more idiots into office

Quoting Anonymous:

That is right it is FUCKED UP!!! State of VA has my husband paying 60% of his income to a person who doesn't work hasn't worked in her whole life but state of CA wont do any thing about my dead beat ex-husband who owes me $800 a month but hasn't paid since April 2005. 

Quoting bi-polarmommy:

wtf? they are working, yes, but until they have a stable home, they are not going to be able to save any money for a security deposit.  the whole system is just f*ed up

Quoting Anonymous:

Many parts of CA have lost funding so they must close the sheltor doors, come warm months. I looked into family sheltors and because both are working they can't go to the family sheltor.

Quoting Anonymous:

i was for a month when we moved to CA.  thankfully this sity has a family homeless shelter.  we came expecting a job and help from family, got neither, and were in the shelter.  i can't belive that the city doesn't have a family one, or even that it closes its doors EVER.  thats just so wrong

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Same here.. We have too many family and friends that would gladly take us in if came down to it (and it has a couple times!)..
It's really sad to hear when people don't have that :(
OP you're awesome for what you do :) most people wouldn't even SPEAK to the homeless. It's nice to know there are still good people in the world (and on this site)! Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

That's so sad. And such a reality for many families. For us, it wouldn't happen. Not that we couldn't lose everything, just that we have plenty of family that would take us in until we could get on our feet. I feel really sad for those that don't have that option. I think what you do is great.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM

An with the nut jobs that are running right now its only going to get worse. I know DH and I are 1 pay check away from being homeless. I am searching daily for another job. I work part time due to my health also. Another reason this family's story struck me. I work part time that mom works part time her husband works long hours so does my DH. Thankfully were scrapping by we are on a thin line of being like this family. An we don't have family to fall back on so we'd be really screwed like them.

Quoting bi-polarmommy:

my sons sperm donor owes back child support for ds entire life, (14yrs).  i'm SUPPOSED to get over two hundred a month for ds, but i think i've gotten less than $1000 combined in 14 years.

90% of government is f*ed up, and we just seem to keep voting more idiots into office

Quoting Anonymous:

That is right it is FUCKED UP!!! State of VA has my husband paying 60% of his income to a person who doesn't work hasn't worked in her whole life but state of CA wont do any thing about my dead beat ex-husband who owes me $800 a month but hasn't paid since April 2005. 

Quoting bi-polarmommy:

wtf? they are working, yes, but until they have a stable home, they are not going to be able to save any money for a security deposit.  the whole system is just f*ed up

Quoting Anonymous:

Many parts of CA have lost funding so they must close the sheltor doors, come warm months. I looked into family sheltors and because both are working they can't go to the family sheltor.

Quoting Anonymous:

i was for a month when we moved to CA.  thankfully this sity has a family homeless shelter.  we came expecting a job and help from family, got neither, and were in the shelter.  i can't belive that the city doesn't have a family one, or even that it closes its doors EVER.  thats just so wrong

murrlicious
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I have been there I went from being homeless with a child. It's what got me into stripping it was a means to pay for things. I did the extended stay for awhile til I could get back on my feet. I don't believe that parents should lose their kids over something that they can't control.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)