Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't understand this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My MIL has been at the same job for about 10 years. Yet, she is always low on money. I don't understand why she can't budget out her bills? I'd mind my own business, but it affects us because she has to ask for money so that her 16 year old daughter gets her basic needs met. Now that my SIL is older she is looking for a job, but now we all fear that my SIL is just going to be another person that my MIL will mooch off of for the rest of her life.

I just don't understand. She knows how much she is going to make each month. Why can't she set a budget to that? I'd understand more if she had just lost her job, or had a crisis, but I mean come on. Same job for 10 years and she can't make basic needs? Ugh.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Replies (21-24):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, we've offered it before. Our home is always open to her.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Well I hope you consider letting her move in maybe that will make mom grow up. Sometimes people just can't Handle money. Best of luck

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Maybe the SIL should come stay with you guys while MIL learns how to be a responsible adult?? Just a idea if you keep giving her money she won't learn. Don't ever give her cash if she needs a bill paid then go pay it yourself if you must help. Just don't give her cash makes it to easy for her to buy booze instead of getting what she needs

We've brought that up actually. She does want to live with us when she goes to college, but I think that she feels that all their mom has left is her since the rest of his siblings have moved out. His oldest brother has completely cut his mom off of money. He'll give money to his sister, but not to his mom.

aMarieT
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM

my mother was the same way, but she never asked anyone for help

she DID make enough to cover her bills but she just didn't budget well and usually spent it on foolish crap before she paid her bills.

it wasn't until her power was turned off that she finally asked for help. Unfortunately none of my brothers or I lived in the same state at the time so we asked one of our Aunts to step up. She sat down with mom and worked out her bills and set up allotments to her savings. 

Mom was surprised by how much she was actually making when it was all written down. She has been doing well since then

metalhealthmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM
She's probably just blowing her money.

I had a friend like this. I ALWAYS bailed my best friend out. I figured, her kids need this. I'm helping the kids. I mean, i paid her electric bill, paid her back rent, paid for a new windshield, gave her a ton of giftcards for groceries and stuff for her kids. Finally my husband put his foot down (and Mike doesn't normally pull the 'I make the majority of the money' card. If i want to write a check out to someone, he normally doesn't care). He said she was taking advantage of me and I needed to cut her off. Well, I did and miraculously she was able to scramble up enough money to pay her rent and buy groceries.

We're still friends, I was mad for a little while and i think she felt bad, but eventually we got past it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hplesha
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM
We have a washer and dryer that the landlord said she has nothing to do with but if we wanted to use it we would have to pay extra. Well 35$ a month extra is a hell of alot cheaper than going to the laundromat. Last summer the washer broke. She didn't replace it. We told her we will get a new one and scrap the old one. She said she would deduct the money off the rent. Sweet. Guess what? She didn't deduct any money off. So, when we move we will be taking it because we bought it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think she needs to call her landlord and complain until he fixes it or gets them a new one.

Quoting hplesha:

Go buy her a used stove and scrap the old one. Then they can all cook at home instead of eating crap for meals

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

She obviously doesnt make enough to cover her bills.... and until people quit helping her, she wont HAVE to budget within her means.

She smokes and drinks a lot. Which I think is where all of her money is going. My SIL has gained a ton of weight because where they live, the stove doesn't work, so they are constantly eating out. I'd love to just cut her off, but my husband won't let his little sister go without clothes or heat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)