Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

collection agency vent!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

So Dh and I applyed for an apt the other day. Granted i knew they would do a credit check and the only thing wrong was the fact that DH had a bill of 3 thousand. Now since the cerdit card account was closed and handed over to this freaking collection agency i had to talk to them. They didnt nothing but talk down to me and yell then hang up on me . All i needed from them was to set up a payment plan monthly to pay this damn bill off and with that have them fax a letter over to the apt for record for them so they know i would be taking care of the bill so we can finish the application process .. Now since the guy i talked to was a superviser told me they don't send out such letters. They send out a statement letter of my balance and i was like okay that was fine fax that.. but then he wanted me to pay over a 1000 for a letter... !! WHAT!!!!! ,  i told him i could only make monthly payments cause i need to have money to feed my DD and the rest of the bills not to mention the deposit and rent if i were to be approved but now since they wont send me a letter it don't look like i'm moving any time soon! which means I wont be able to move ever with this bill over our head cause no apt complex is just going to by pass this bill with out a letter stateing its being taking care of. I'm sooo pissing at the way this guy was talking to me and they way he was talking. I wish i could have went through the phone to punch him in the face! And even more so since he started yelling at me first and then had the balls to hang up on me like i started yelling at him!!!! so thanks to that a- hole im in a pissy mood ...

sorry i had to get this out. keeping it in was guna make me so much more of a witch today. :/

Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RedRozeMom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Collection agencies are notorious for treating debtors like shit. I always suggest that people in the situation of dealing with debt collectors study and research what a collector can and cannot do/say to you. Believe it or not you do have rights. I would call back and hope you can get someone who isn't an asshole and will send a letter to that place for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Thanks..but it just doesn't look good at all..

Jalestra
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Here I had a debt collector do that and you can request a letter proving you owe the debt (if you know you do go ahead and get it anyhow, sometimes they are trying to get you to pay a real debt twice and some folks SAY you owe one and it's a scam) and if they do not provide it the debt isn't owed. I had an agency call me up acting just the same way and so I finally told him to send a letter proving the debt and that I would be mailing a formal request as soon as he could give the address. He bit the address out at me and I just hung up on him. I don't have to put up with that crap. In the meantime I'm wondering WTF we are getting crap? We don't OWE any debts that I know of. But I sent out the request letter (you can find a form letter on the net) and they complied. Wasn't even my debt. It was for the guy who lived in the house before us. They began calling with attitude again and I told them (nicely...at first) that the guy didn't live here anymore, we live here now. I was accused of everything from lying about being him to knowing where he was. I was like, how the hell would I know where he is, it's not like we were friends?? 

I finally told them if they call my house again I would be filing charges on them and that I would be calling the attorney general. And I did. I filed a formal complaint with the attorney general. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

could you report him to his boss? thats crazy. =(

i say-- save up some more money (about $1,500)- then call them and see if they will be willing to settle. most places will. BF just settled on one of his. he paid $300 for a $750 debt. but he had to pay it all up front. some places dont do that extreme- you'd still have to pay at least half of the bill- but if they accept the half- awesome. if not- you're more than halfway there to paying it off. =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Dispute it.

MynameisMummy
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

That's exactly what you tell them when they start harrassing you like that... "I am going to report you and your company to the attorney general." They will most likely back off... for a while. But if you owe money, just pay your bills ppl. Seriously...

Quoting Jalestra:

Here I had a debt collector do that and you can request a letter proving you owe the debt (if you know you do go ahead and get it anyhow, sometimes they are trying to get you to pay a real debt twice and some folks SAY you owe one and it's a scam) and if they do not provide it the debt isn't owed. I had an agency call me up acting just the same way and so I finally told him to send a letter proving the debt and that I would be mailing a formal request as soon as he could give the address. He bit the address out at me and I just hung up on him. I don't have to put up with that crap. In the meantime I'm wondering WTF we are getting crap? We don't OWE any debts that I know of. But I sent out the request letter (you can find a form letter on the net) and they complied. Wasn't even my debt. It was for the guy who lived in the house before us. They began calling with attitude again and I told them (nicely...at first) that the guy didn't live here anymore, we live here now. I was accused of everything from lying about being him to knowing where he was. I was like, how the hell would I know where he is, it's not like we were friends?? 

I finally told them if they call my house again I would be filing charges on them and that I would be calling the attorney general. And I did. I filed a formal complaint with the attorney general. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Thanks i finally got through to someone with a freaking brain! so they sent a letter to the apt and i have 1/2 the bill to pay ... it took 4 calls and a really horriable head ache to get through to them. but it was worth it .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured