Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So, youre okay with public breastfeeding?

Posted by   + Show Post

What about public breast pumping? Is that cool with you ladies?

I am having to pump every 2 hours right now and I got to thinking...CRAP! What if I have to be away from home out in public?

Do I just whip out my crazy boob sucker machine and do it? Am I supposed to go hide in a bathroom?

I know a lot of people against public breastfeeding always mention how they will have to explain a baby sucking a womans breast to thier kids....I think someone sitting there with this contraption would probably be a whole lot harder to explain.

How to Pump Breast Milk

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrs.jessefuller
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Pumping I would do in private...that could be strange and hard to explain to young children if they ask there parents. Modest public breast feeding is all good with me. I just don't want the whole thing hanging out ya know? Yes that has happened in the middle of applebees one night just the whole thing....no modesty at all. I'm not saying cover the baby but try to keep most of the boob covered if possible

Edit! This is a general statement BTW
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyJay512
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

Don't care.

redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Pumpin' is a little different but if you have to, you have to.

I NEVER went to the nasty bathrooms to nurse and I wouldn't have gone in to pump.

If parents don't like havin' to explain what is natural, they need to pop the bubble and let their kids live in reality.

TygerLily62
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I would just do it in my car or something that wasn't in the middle of everything. Mainly because pumps are bulky and loud.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
etsmom
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

If you want to pump in public, that is your choice, but because you aren't feeding your child right at that moment with your child covering most of your breasts, you will greatly exposed and might offend more people than you would if you were just nursing.

madsmom314
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM
That is certainly something that should be done in PRIVATE. Should not even be a question of doubt. Smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Get an adapter and do it in your car
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twix.Leigh
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM

hehehehe I totally just pictured this! Would love to be people watching and watch the peoples reactions of them seeing a woman just chilling somewhere pumping. Ok, creepiness factor aside... I don't care. If it is needed to help feed your LO then have at er! I never made it far enough in breastfeeding to be out in public with my son, but fingers crossed this time.. 

Aeonix
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM
I would really rather you pump in public than go in a nasty bathroom. Toilets without lids spray particles into the air. Those hand dryers suck air in to blow out...thats just the equipment, we all know what people are like. Public restrooms are full of nasties. No way would I pump or feed a baby in there.

Depending where you are, you can often ind a more private place or rooms specifically made for nursing. Or if you are near one a changing room works in a pinch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had too. I didn't know at the time, but my work wouldn't allow me a place to pump in private and the bathrooms didn't have an outlit. So I had to pump out in the open. I was embarrassed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)