Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When you see someone walking into the welfare office?

Posted by   + Show Post
How do you feel about them? What are your thoughts? What assumptions do you make?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
BEXi
by BEXi on May. 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM
6 moms liked this

I think the same thing when I see someone coming out of Subway, the mall, Kroger, gas station.. "A person."

Simple-Beauty
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM
I dont even know where our welfare office is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Right, so if you were in the office as well, you would be included in "them", would you not?

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Obviously, you would have to be in or near the welfare office to see people going in.

Quoting PEEK05:

I was going to say, how would you see someone walking into the welfare office if you weren't in the welfare office as well??

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't visit the welfare office so I can't really say.

baquick
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I don't really think anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrookeLisette
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I wouldn't think anything - probably wouldn't even realize that's what it was.  What do you think?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have room to talk because I used to be on welfare... but I will admit, when I see someone walking through the door at the welfare office I automatically look at them like "low-class" citizens (yes I realize I have been in that catagory). A lot of them don't know how to clean up to look presentable in society, and it makes me feel sorry for them. And for the few that do look presentable, i think to myself: "I wonder how they are cheating the system", or I wonder how they can afford to wear the nice clothes when they are needing PA!

sheena696
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, I never pass the welfare office due to it's location, but I try not to assume that I know other peoples' situations. 

happy-go-lucky
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I feel sorry for them. The office by us is always crowded and the chairs suck. Plus the people who work there are usually rude.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anon1986East
by Kali on May. 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I don't think anything of it. Around here the welfare office is in a building that handles a lot of different family issues, not everyone there is on welfare...besides if I see a person walking in there they could just be an employee. Besides I don't look down on those who are on welfare. The building shares a parking lot with a couple other offices, including my BIL's law office so one day I was there and a woman was there trying to get her car to start - she had her three kids with her and they were getting cranky so I stood with her talking and entertaining her babies until a tow truck came by...the sad thing was the looks she was getting from other people, what they didn't know is she was an employee and got called by her oldest kid's school because he got sick and her younger kids were in the office daycare. People just assumed because she was in the welfare office parking lot and had three small children that she was someone to look down upon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN