Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm too proud for food stamps...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Dh and I qualify for food stamps. We could greatly benefit from them. However, I don't want to be compared to all the skeezy trash that abuses the system. We've just hit rough times and are sticking it out until things get better.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
2littledaisies
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see what everyone has their panties in a bunch about..  if she qualifies but doesn't feel like she NEEDS them but doesn't take them then kudos to her. 

lovinmama411
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I don't think that makes you look any better, just makes you look dumb. If you need them and your family could use them but you don't get them "just because", well, you're putting the cart before the horse.

Did you know that if everyone who actually qualified for foodstamps would sign up and get them, our economy would actually benefit?

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM
4 moms liked this

I think a better way of saying it would be --

we're too proud.. not we're too good. 

you know what's trashier than milking the system for food stamps -- acting like you're better than those who are on food stamps. 

GomezMami2908
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

You mean you are too proud. 

I hope you are not making your kids go hungry because of it. 

It's one thing to abuse the system like many do, but it's another thing to use it for what's it's there for, TEMPORARY assistance...that wouldn't make you trash.

Aadensma
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this
You can't win with people. Either you're bashed for being happy to have FS or you're bashed for being too proud to have them. Wtf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marie85
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

If you can make it work then fine , but if your family is not able to eat because of it then I think its shitty of you to feel like that. To me the program is designed for people like you , people that fall on hard times. It should be used as a stepping stone ,not a way of life. I see no shame in using the resources available to you for a short time if you need it. 

mcr17
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

if you need it, use it. what exactly is the problem in that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Agree with you, OP.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM
My children are perfectly content and taken care of.

Quoting clusterkid:

i am not above anything that keeps my children fed.

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM

it's her attitude that bothered me.  I mean come on, why even make the post even she didn't want a little drama.

she could have easily kept it to herself. 

Quoting Aadensma:

You can't win with people. Either you're bashed for being happy to have FS or you're bashed for being too proud to have them. Wtf.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)