Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you dont want your kids names mispronounced

Posted by   + Show Post
Then don't spell the names weird
I'm watching toddlers and tiaras and one little girls name is Alycesaundra pronounced "Ah-lis-andra" and when the speaker mispronounced her name the mom flipped

Can you imagine when that little girl goes to school, she is going to have to spell her name or pronounce her name over and over again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Replies (161-167):
CatherineNewton
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

My cousins name is Meghan and pronunced like megan. But i know for a fact that is the traditional irsh way. As for Mehgan I have only meet on person named that and she was a little girl 100% irish and also an irish step dancer. So I believe it is but I am not 1,000% on that one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is it? I know Meghan is Irish and I believe is actually pronounced as Mee-gan, when spelled that way. That being said, I've never seen Mehgan prounounced with the long E sound until I met this girl. *shrugs*

Quoting CatherineNewton:

I think that Mehgan is an irish spelling of the name. Just saying.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its so hard to know anymore. I know a girl named Melisa. How would you pronounce that? I also know a girl named Mehgan. Again, how would YOU pronounce that one? Well, Melisa says her name like *Mah-lee-sa*. Mehgan says her name like *Mee-gan*. People are trying so hard to be different, that then the ones who have the "normal" pronunciations, have to deal with all the confused people. Lol!

krazymama4
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

how about when no one can spell ur childs name when it is spelled noemal my sons name is

griffin and everyone wants to spell it all funky Griffen or griphyn or things like that

Tricia1979
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I totally agree. But at the same time no one ever spells my name right and it is the traditional spelling. Patricia or Tricia, should be easy enough. And most people don't mispronounce my DS's name anymore, it became a lot more popular. Xander, like Alexander without the Ale part. But we used to get a lot of X-ander, oh well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on May. 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I think it's SOOOO LAME when parents spell regular names in some weird, "unique" way. It's stupid! And annoying! It's ASHLEY. Not ASHLEIGH. Not ASHLEE. Geesss

Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on May. 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM
I named my dd a common name but spelt slightly different. She has never had her name misprounced. She has had it spelled wrong but I figure that will be common. My name is also spelled differently then it usually is. It made me unique!
So yes, I'm that mom but I'm not ashamed :)
kittiekattie83
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM

My daughters name is samara. I have had people pronounce it samora. I'm like uhhh how did you get samora out of samara? 

lainec
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM

My first name is Daria....never pronounced right (NOT like the tv show Daria) and oh the nicknames!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)