Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you invite your husband along?

so my grandma and aunt are coming to my town to have lunch with us and she requested to see me and my sister. My sister text me this and then i asked if my husband could come along and she said she don't see why not. Then of course, she ran to my mom and my mom calls me and says that my grandma's cancer had come back and whether she does something about it or not, she's going to die but don't know when.

Now at first, i didnt know about all this. it came off like a fun get together with my grams but the thing is...even if it is all fun while we are there politely ignoring the fact she may die soon, i need someone's ears. I'm hard of hearing and if my grams does say something in a her tiny voice, my husband is usually the one to say to me what she said. I can't ask my sister because she gets irritated easily and she will end up snapping at me.

My mom said that she didnt invite my husband but only invited me and my sis but i'm gonna bet that nothing bad comes up in convo anyway. my mom and sis are over reacting. What if my grams does say something that puts my sister in tears but i'm left there hanging and laugh instead because i couldnt hear?

i dont know. Do you ladies think my mother and sis are over reacting? what would you do? my husband is going to call my aunt to see what she thinks.

by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Replies (31-40):
christinajoy864
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM

i would invite him along hes your ears your rock your support and hes family has well this may be his last chance

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I think it's reasonable if they just want the "girls" out....   as for not being able to hear, maybe you can suggest a place to dine where you have more peace.   You know, some places play music loud, or have seats too close.   It makes it hard to hear.    Then, also, let sis know ahead of time...   "Since DH isn't coming, I'm going to need help hearing grandma all the time."  

Then don't be bothered if she gets snippy, just tell her that she should be glad she has good hearing and doesn't know what it's like to be in your shoes and don't let it bug you.    Also, arrange it so you are sitting beside grandma if that helps.

ROCY25
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM
I really think mom and sister are overreacting. You should call grandma and ask her what she thinks :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM
He is your support and husband. Your grandmother is ill he should be there!!!
I am so sorry, hugs to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I don't mean to sound rude, but have you thought of getting hearing aids? I wear them, myself. You will have to position yourself to sit very close to grams. Hearing aids can actually save a marriage!

mik1of3
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I understand you wanting your husband to come along, but I can't imagine he would enjoy the outing.

Meaning no disrespect, but why don't you get a hearing aid?  Or learn to read lips?  My husband is hard of hearing, and has a deaf cousin...both of them read lips. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Tell your sister that if she'll tell you what she says, if you miss something, without getting mad that your husband can stay home. But if not you want him there to help you out. Other than the hearing issue, I'd leave him at home. 

mom2bell
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
If your grandma is dying, I'd do what makes her comfortable and happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROCY25
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I really think mom and sister are overreacting. You should call grandma and ask her what she thinks :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunflower7556
by on May. 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I would just casually ask your Grandma, because it is her news.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)