Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what does a turtle need

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies
I got a turtle today found him want to keep him what does he need? What do they eat?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xandersmom2011
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM

If it is wild, you should look up whether it is legal to keep him or not. But you can go to a pet store and ask, and look online. You want to give him a good quality life, so make sure to do your research.

Xandersmom2011
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

In most states it's not legal to take wildlife from their natural environment.

Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on May. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM

what kind of turtle? you're going to end up spending several hundred dollars on a decent setup regardless.

GraceHudson
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM
bump

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Depends on the kind of turtle.

I had red ear sliders...they had a half land/half water habitat, special heat lamps, they ate the regular "turtle food" you can buy at Wal-Mart (it's with the fish food), dried krill and shrimp, live guppies and shrimp...and there's a lot of extras like shell hardener cream if their shells get soft.

she_walk_softly
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
You can't give him what he had in the wild,let him go and be happy he can take care of himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Bump

weirdkids
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM

this isnt true. if it is an aquatic turtle which if it was found im assuming it is, all you really need is fish tank a turtle dock and a filter. we have one that we found. the dock is about $15-$20 at most pet supply stores. the filters for a 20gal tank run about $20 and the replacement cartriges for the filters are about $3 at walmart(you can get the filter there too) and depending on your indoor temp you may need a submersable heater which is under 20 usually. tanks you can find on craigslist cheap. most pet store will sell you aquatic plants for around $3 they look decoritive and are a nice snack.

Quoting Tesserae:

what kind of turtle? you're going to end up spending several hundred dollars on a decent setup regardless.

Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on May. 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

you also need a light set up etc. and I have never encountered things that cheap. Maybe my Petco's are more expensive than yours.

Quoting weirdkids:

this isnt true. if it is an aquatic turtle which if it was found im assuming it is, all you really need is fish tank a turtle dock and a filter. we have one that we found. the dock is about $15-$20 at most pet supply stores. the filters for a 20gal tank run about $20 and the replacement cartriges for the filters are about $3 at walmart(you can get the filter there too) and depending on your indoor temp you may need a submersable heater which is under 20 usually. tanks you can find on craigslist cheap. most pet store will sell you aquatic plants for around $3 they look decoritive and are a nice snack.

Quoting Tesserae:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM
I don't know what kind my dd went crazy begging me for it I said maybe but idk what he will need he has orange spots how do I know if he is aquatic? How big of a tank should I get him?

Quoting weirdkids:

Quoting Tesserae:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)