Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

hand me down and thrift stores, yard sale shoppers ***UPDATE !!***

Posted by   + Show Post
How do your kids react when you tell them they have to wear used clothes ? Or, if they are not old enough to complain , what Will you do when they start complaining?

If you have older kids , did you stop making them wear used clothes and shoes at a certain age ?

I am wondering because I see a lot of moms that on here that do it. And personally my kids would look at me like " mom, really?" And they WOULD NOT wear it.

UPDATE :

SO YOU LADIES GOT ME THINKING AND I HAVE SOLD AND MADE $50 OUT OF CLOTHES I WILL NEVER WEAR AGAIN !!!!

ALSO, I AM MEXICAN I AM FROM L.A. SOUTH CENTRAL L.A. TO BE EXACT , I AM VERY PROUD OF WHERE I COME FROM !!! I AM LOUD , GHETTO FAB , AND I DON'T GIVE A FUCK !!, I AM NOT ASHAMED. :))))

I AM SELLING MY OLD HOOCHEE DRESSES AND TOPS AND MADE $53 ALREADY!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
5 moms liked this

If your kids just "would not wear it" then you've raised a bunch of brats.  Sorry, but thats the honest truth.  My kids wear designer brands that I pick up for pennies at the thrift store.  Not because we have to, but because its fiscally smart. Why should I pay $20 for a shirt when I can get it for $2 and it looks like brand new?  Run it through the wash with a good healthy scoop of Tide and there ya go!  I save the money I would have spent on the super pricey clothes for fun stuff for my family. You would never in a million years know that some of my families clothes were bought second hand.  The LV purse that i'm currently sporting?  $10 at a thrift store.  The suckers as genuine as they come.  If you don't wish to shop like this, DON'T.  But, please- save your pity for those who need it.  I certainly don't. (And for the record, I don't do used shoes. Or undies.)

rose0919
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM

my dd11 is at the age  that her and her friends  trade clothing. so it isnt a big deal to her. all 3 of them are into the whole retro 80ies thing. so if they get real 80ies clothing  they are on cloud 9. i had a bunch of stuff in the attic left from then and its sooo funny seeing them go nuts over it.

jonellg
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

lol, I don't discuss where I buy my childrens clothes with my children

MomofAlice
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I only buy used items that are in excellent condition. I am not opposed to hand me downs either. My lo is only 8 months so she doesn't care. At this age it seems she goes through clothes so quickly, it is silly to spend a ton on new stuff. Although, I do buy her new items.
Once she gets older and is a little harder on her clothing I will probably buy new stuff. Either way she will be raised to appreciate what she has.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indyb
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

My dd12 loves going to thtift store and garage sales with me,  she is all kinds of excited when she finds something she likes for less money!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Your kids are spoiled. My kids love it Bc they are new to them an I never it grungy clothes.
RLT2
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Well my kids could always go naked if they chose to act so spoiled

DianeJ40
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

My kids wear a mix of new, hand-me-downs and thrift store clothes.  My dd is 16, my ds is 10.  My dd doesn't want all her clothes to be used by loves to find a bargain at a thrift store, especially if it is name brand.  My ds doesn't care where it comes from as long as it looks clean.

SapphireMomma
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Personally, I love hand me downs, yardsale and thrift store finds. If you get crappy product it'll show, but most of the time you can find great stuff. Who cares if its gently used?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM

our DD has been wearing hand-me-downs and hand-me-ups her who life. we have so many cousins in our family, all about 2 years apart, it sure helps cut down on clothing. she has been given shoes, boots, UGGs, dresses, swimsuits, jeans, heaps of tee-shirts and several jackets. we in turn have donated back, several dresses she outgrew, shoes, jackets and home made blue jean shoulder purses she sticthed on the sewing machine (out of jeans with too many holes to wear).

what we dont swap is obviously the under things and socks, but we dont see any reason after being laundred clothes cant be given to others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)