Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I couldn't care less that your kid is special needs!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a teacher at school in charge of senior activities. We have one boy who is special needs. He can walk and talk, he's just a bit slow. Nice kid but his mother is making my life HELL. She called me 7 times today, 3 of those times from 7:40 am to 8:30 am. Ridiculous! Now on to tell you how she is making my life hell. 

First it started off with senior hoodies. On the back of all senior hoodies we have everyone's name listed. They are in small, black letters and a bunch are scrunched up and hardly legible. We got them t shirts with clearly printed names to make up for the hoodies. Well, Mrs. X(that's what we'll call the parent from hell) has been calling for the past 3 weeks, trying to get us to re order her son a hoodie. She wants us to get his name printed nice and big at the the top of the list. I was like are you serious?!? She has told us a million times "My son is special" Okay lady, we know but everyone's kid is special to them so no we are not spending 50 extra dollars on a hoodie for your son with his name printed in big letters! It's not happening. 

The next problem we are having is with prom. We had specific dates where checks were accepted and now we are just accepting cash. Her son missed the cut off date and she called about 8 times in one day raising hell about not accepting her check. Her son is special(her words) so we should just accept the check. Not happening. So finally she sends him with cash. The boy just leaves it on my desk and walks away. Didn't wait for a receipt or anything. I assume he didn't want one or will come back so I write one and put it away. Mrs. X then calls going off because not only did her son not get a ticket but he did not get a receipt. For one, no one gets a ticket when they pay. They get put on a list then they get an invitation delivered to them in class. And I explained to her the receipt situation. So I get the assistant principal to get the boy out of class so I can hand deliver him this damn receipt. He gets the receipt, I talk to Mrs. X a few more times about the ticket situation and that's that. 

I'm not sure what else she can call about but I just know she will have some type of problem with graduation, whether it be caps and gowns, the location,...something! I asked my co worker if we could find some where to lock her up until graduation is over. I'm just done! lol

I fixed that "huge" typo for you ladies. God knows I'm a teacher so spelling mistakes on a trivial mom site are absolutely prohibited. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Replies (111-120):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Quoting DixieL:

When I first read the title of your post I thought how mean, but now I understand. Just because he is a little slow does not make him better than the rest of the kids. We all have very special kids. It's almost the end of the school year and since he is graduating he will never have to hear from her again. Good Luck for the rest of the year and Happy Mothers Day

Thank you and a very Happy Mother's Day to you as well! :) 

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sheramom4:

In terms of the hoodie I would tell her that she is more than welcome to type up every name and have one made for her son with his name on top :)....the other stuff is just ridiculous. I have two special needs kids and if I am worried about them missing a cut-off date or forgetting something I take it to the school myself as soon as I get the notice. Mind you, mine are younger and I have done this less and less as they get older...by the time they are in high school it will be on them....

And you know, that was one of the things I understood. Maybe he didn't bring me the check on the right days even if she sent it with him. I thought about that but my hands are truly tied when it comes to that situation. I even tried to get the check in but all of that stuff is in the hands of the school's financial director. I asked her if she could accept one last check and she told me no. I have tried to accommodate this woman and her son even though she is a HUGE headache. I figure the more I make her happy, the less stress I am under lol. And I really don't mind going out of my way for him if her requests are reasonable but they just aren't. 

My 10 year old DD actually missed a field trip this year because she forgot to bring me the permission slip and then by the time she did, the cut-off date was past. I used it as a lesson for her, despite her special needs one that she learned very well....give mom the info and mom will accomodate, don't do it and too bad....Obviously this mom has spent so much time fixing everything for her child that he has not learned to take responsibility or fix anything for himself.

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I say this all the time "my job would be perfect if I just dealt with kids all day"

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Maybe the OP needs a different job........

I'm not allowed to complain about my job a bit? People do it all the time. I love my job. My students are amazing but its the parents I get frustrated with at times. If you are not a teacher then you just won't understand. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I sooo agree! My students are fun, laid back, sweet and all around good kids! Not so much the parents lol

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I say this all the time "my job would be perfect if I just dealt with kids all day"

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Maybe the OP needs a different job........

I'm not allowed to complain about my job a bit? People do it all the time. I love my job. My students are amazing but its the parents I get frustrated with at times. If you are not a teacher then you just won't understand. 

MDWife12
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM

THAT 'special treatment' is different than the shit this mother is expecting - what YOU just described is understandable, but what the OP has described is ridiculous! I should have clarified when I wrote my response :)

Quoting RiotousDigits:

If it gets her an equal education, my DD will get all the "special treatment" she needs, be it an interpreter, a note taker or any other accommodation available to her.

Quoting MDWife12:

I don't agree with treating someone differently just because they have special needs. No one should get special treatment, sorry if that makes me sound hateful and whatever else but that is just how I feel.

CafeMom Tickers
MDWife12
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM

So  just because this child has special needs he should being treated like he is some sort of prince? I don't think so! Special treatment when it comes to education is understandable and expected - however he shouldn't get special treatment in the situation that the OP has described - he should get treated like EVERY OTHER PERSON. The situations that the OP has described has NOTHING to do with bettering his education...sorry :)

Quoting honeyrder:

OP must treat everyone shitty then. I guess it's all good in that case.

Quoting MDWife12:

I don't agree with treating someone differently just because they have special needs. No one should get special treatment, sorry if that makes me sound hateful and whatever else but that is just how I feel.

CafeMom Tickers
UnIdentiFiedOne
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM
While this mother clearly has issues...your title and attitude toward special needs kids sucks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Why does she wanted her son to be treated differently from the other kids?  Way to ostracize your own child!

I would understand if you or the school was doing something that made it impossible for him to participate or keep up but you are not.  You are holding him to a standard with the rest of the kids that he can obtain. 

4and1mom
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM
That mother sounds a lot like my sds mom. Sd wants nothing more than to be treated like everyone else but her mom trys to demand special treatment in every aspect of her life. We have received calls from frustrated teachers and I feel sorry for what they and you have to deal with
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I take a tad bit of offense to "trivial mom site". Perhaps we are, at times...redundant. Perhaps laden with typos.....perhaps, at times discussing trivial topics.......but our site is NEVER trivial.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured